Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
ViviFellow

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#286 Post by ViviFellow » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:10 am

The principal problem that I had with Minnie is that she do almost everything when we're co-presidents, we don't have a real influence being presidents. Most of the time we're a pretty face or hearing that Minnie do everything before us.
When we "talk" about that topic in november, she didn't care so munch. I would feel upset if I make a proyect with someone, and that person do everything alone without my help or asking me about it.
Gary Tsu should/probably'll talk to her after Xmas break about that, even he can "break" the co-president path (temporally or for real) because something that could affect him, his identity, or get tired of this situation. She had good intencions, but she can't take him apart of their work and doing everything alone. Kyo'll probably kick our ass, but it's necessary for the route and her character development, or a way to quit Minnie's path.

Oki

#287 Post by Oki » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I think of Minnie as a very 'typical' Hanako games character. Flawed, interesting, and will win me over in the end. I'm replaying Horse Hall now in order to torture myself. Hooray! I love this game series!
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

ParrotWatcher

#288 Post by ParrotWatcher » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:45 pm

I am thankful for... obstacles. They inspire creativity.
Oh, Damien, you flirt. :P

More seriously, I am wondering why he doesn't seem that annoyed in other routes. Does he not want revenge on an MC who sabotaged his relationship with Ellen? (If we gave her the pie, he knows it was us, and otherwise he certainly suspects.) Or does he see William as the mastermind, and us as a mere pawn, and thus sees no reason to threaten us?

Runespoor

#289 Post by Runespoor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18 pm

phoenixgirl wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 am
Honestly, I didn't really see him coming off as being snobbish, which is sort of sounding like maybe you're implying that. (Maybe you can tell me if I misinterpreted your words.) In regards to the teachers and such helping him, perhaps if he had said something along the lines like, "I have no shame in using whatever resources to win," then maybe I can see your point. But that isn't how he sounds off to me.
He's not snobbish. It's not due to anything he does that everyone makes an exception for him! But it still happens, times and times again, and he can use that. He's not super happy his parents suggested Potsdam give him his allowance in advance to fund his campaign, but despite sounding unhappy about it, he can take that offer. And iirc, he has to take it for Minnie to suggest they be co-presidents, so really the tricks he pulled aren't any less dirty than hers.

And while I'm at it, MC is also a little disingenuous on the non-president path, when Minnie asks him if he'll vote for her. If he turns her down - which is totally fair! - he says he "can't promise anything". Except... Minnie never said anything about a promise.
phoenixgirl wrote:
I mean, it sounds more like he's just being given an extra advantage because Minnie ALREADY has an advantage over him, having been magic-born and living in America all her life (again, someone can tell me if I'm wrong about Minnie's background) while the MC is the foreigner whom people don't really know about (unless they happened to encounter him in his homeland). So yeah, a case could be made where they're either both cheating or just using certain perks to their advantage.
Iris Academy is chock full of wildseeds, but I don't see Postdam assigning specific seniors to wildseed freshmen to give them the best Initiation experience. I don't see Grabiner having the Class President tell wildseed students what the first exam will be. I don't see teachers having tea with wildseeds students and discussing how their studies go, I don't see Postdam telling Mary Sue she could get her allowance in advance to run for Treasurer. I don't see the teachers telling wildseeds a simple promise is dangerous. (which makes me so mad - can you imagine how many wildseed freshmen lost their powers over totally stupid promises, because they were never told that?)

Whatever the advantage he's being given, it's a hell of a preferential treatment over the way wildseeds are treated.

Like Ellen says, there are rules. MC isn't treated according to the rules. And wildseeds aren't even told the rules.

MillaMaxwell

#290 Post by MillaMaxwell » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Runespoor wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18 pm
phoenixgirl wrote:
Honestly, I didn't really see him coming off as being snobbish, which is sort of sounding like maybe you're implying that. (Maybe you can tell me if I misinterpreted your words.) In regards to the teachers and such helping him, perhaps if he had said something along the lines like, "I have no shame in using whatever resources to win," then maybe I can see your point. But that isn't how he sounds off to me.
He's not snobbish. It's not due to anything he does that everyone makes an exception for him! But it still happens, times and times again, and he can use that. He's not super happy his parents suggested Potsdam give him his allowance in advance to fund his campaign, but despite sounding unhappy about it, he can take that offer. And iirc, he has to take it for Minnie to suggest they be co-presidents, so really the tricks he pulled aren't any less dirty than hers.

And while I'm at it, MC is also a little disingenuous on the non-president path, when Minnie asks him if he'll vote for her. If he turns her down - which is totally fair! - he says he "can't promise anything". Except... Minnie never said anything about a promise.
I can't speak for everyone, just myself, but personally my frustration with Minnie isn't that I think she should react differently to Gary Stu, but that her behavior frustrates me and there isn't currently any discussion in-game of the reasons why she acts that way. If there was a conversation or monologue in the game about the factors you've brought up, that would be perfectly fine with me! And knowing Hanako Games, there's probably going to be something like that later on in Minnie's route. But right now, from what we have in the beta and how Minnie behaves there, I can't honestly like her. If later on, she explains herself or Gary Stu checks his privilege on his own, I probably will end up liking her just fine. If things continue as they currently are and there's no relevant character development for either her or Gary Stu (which is extremely unlikely in a Hanako game), then I won't like her.

My only actual complaint regarding Minnie or the election sequence is that you can't react negatively to Minnie after her negative speech about you and that's just because I feel like that would be a pretty normal reaction and a reasonable dialogue option. Everything else is just the result of only having half a game right now and thus only having half the character development available. :)

Oki

#291 Post by Oki » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 pm

I can definitely see the comparison in that Mary Sue does not get these advantages. More often than not she works hard to get what she deserves, which is hilarious given she is 'Mary Sue'. It's almost a purposeful commentary to me, that a male character in the same situation as Mary would likely be seen as a normal person. But it's only in the positions that he gets in game that he is special and qualifies as a Gary Stu. I think it's an interesting commentary on how the characters differ but both hold the same 'perfect flawless magical person' name to them..when really, maybe it just goes to show that's how fanfiction in general treats the difference in male and female characters.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

Runespoor

#292 Post by Runespoor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm

MillaMaxwell wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm
I can't speak for everyone, just myself, but personally my frustration with Minnie isn't that I think she should react differently to Gary Stu, but that her behavior frustrates me and there isn't currently any discussion in-game of the reasons why she acts that way. If there was a conversation or monologue in the game about the factors you've brought up, that would be perfectly fine with me! And knowing Hanako Games, there's probably going to be something like that later on in Minnie's route. But right now, from what we have in the beta and how Minnie behaves there, I can't honestly like her. If later on, she explains herself or Gary Stu checks his privilege on his own, I probably will end up liking her just fine. If things continue as they currently are and there's no relevant character development for either her or Gary Stu (which is extremely unlikely in a Hanako game), then I won't like her.
probably, yeah, though I do think some of the things she's frustrated with we already know (Potsdam keeping crucial information from wildseeds - but I feel Minnie's plotline is going to get into that - which is super cool, because worldbuilding!). Idk why she feels she must Do Everything On Her Own, obviously - and that's definitely something I expect will be adressed later in the game - but given the context several reasons why she doesn't wholly trust MC or think much of his competency are apparent. She's not giving him a fair chance, but neither is her behavior completely unfounded.

I wouldn't worry about there being no development - Minnie's got SO many apparent issues, we're bound to get into them at some point!
MillaMaxwell wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm
My only actual complaint regarding Minnie or the election sequence is that you can't react negatively to Minnie after her negative speech about you and that's just because I feel like that would be a pretty normal reaction and a reasonable dialogue option.
Yeah, strongly agree.

Wawawiwa

#293 Post by Wawawiwa » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 pm

I actually really like the MC, he seems like a really sweet person, not snobbish or arrogant or anything.
Really, all he wants is to fit in with all the other kids, but the adults just won't let him off the hook that easily.

lowkey wish there was a way to protest to Potsdam or Grabs about the single room, and ask if you can move in with someone else, maybe with Donald and Luke or something , I mean....it sounds like a strange thing to request, what kind of teen wouldn't want their own private little corner? but frankly, in his position, I would start getting really sick of the special treatment, specially if the school claims to care that much about "encouraging teamwork and cooperation" and yada yada.

I was very happy that you could refuse the option to receive all your allowance at once.
man, it just feels icky y'know?
I feel as if Potsdam is trying to win my family's favour ( and quite likely a few FAVOURS as well), and the way things are going, it really does seem like the wildseeds are kept in the dark a bit too much, and this puts them at an insane disadvantage compared to the rest. And at a much higher risk of losing their magic, wich honestly sounds like a really traumatic, heartbreaking thing ( like losing a limb or something along the lines of )

I believe Minnie is trying to fight against this exact situation, wich is why she got so bloody pissed at Potsdam's refusal of her suggestions for the student council. She probably wants this so badly that she stopped giving a sh*t about playing fair and square.

phoenixgirl

#294 Post by phoenixgirl » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Wawawiwa wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 pm
I actually really like the MC, he seems like a really sweet person, not snobbish or arrogant or anything.
Really, all he wants is to fit in with all the other kids, but the adults just won't let him off the hook that easily.

lowkey wish there was a way to protest to Potsdam or Grabs about the single room, and ask if you can move in with someone else, maybe with Donald and Luke or something , I mean....it sounds like a strange thing to request, what kind of teen wouldn't want their own private little corner? but frankly, in his position, I would start getting really sick of the special treatment, specially if the school claims to care that much about "encouraging teamwork and cooperation" and yada yada.

I was very happy that you could refuse the option to receive all your allowance at once.
man, it just feels icky y'know?
I feel as if Potsdam is trying to win my family's favour ( and quite likely a few FAVOURS as well), and the way things are going, it really does seem like the wildseeds are kept in the dark a bit too much, and this puts them at an insane disadvantage compared to the rest. And at a much higher risk of losing their magic, wich honestly sounds like a really traumatic, heartbreaking thing ( like losing a limb or something along the lines of )

I believe Minnie is trying to fight against this exact situation, wich is why she got so bloody pissed at Potsdam's refusal of her suggestions for the student council. She probably wants this so badly that she stopped giving a sh*t about playing fair and square.

I hadn't thought of it that way before but yeah, I do see your point.

It could be interpreted that Potsdam is trying to win over the MC's family by giving him that advantage during the campaign. Heh, you know, maybe it's just me but if I really wanted to give the MC an advantage and win over the family in a magical school, I'd just use magic and have the MC only automatically win by manipulating the votes in the voting box or using a mind spell on the freshmen. lol The upperclassmen might catch onto this but the freshmen (unless they happen to be genuises or something of the sort) would most likely not.

On the wildseed matter, it's hard to say. I mean, I do mostly feel that they should be left to find things out on their own. However, if there's something that would put them at risk (like a life-or-death situation or maybe losing their magic), then yeah, they should be told.

Well, as for Minnie, if that is her reason for wanting to inform wildseeds about magic-related things, I can understand her frustration but I wouldn't do the things she's done. Then again, I would tend to be quieter and just bide my time.
Please help and support me here.

indiiea

#295 Post by indiiea » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:56 am

And here I am taking the allowance without a second thought every playthrough so I can deck out my Gary Stu with wings, pointy ears and such early in game so I can pretend that's his look all along ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Savanime

#296 Post by Savanime » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:30 am

indiiea wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:56 am
And here I am taking the allowance without a second thought every playthrough so I can deck out my Gary Stu with wings, pointy ears and such early in game so I can pretend that's his look all along ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Somehow that feels super in-character for this protag, "Ugh, my dumb parent want me to use my influence to win this election. I'm so gonna take the money, but I'll spend it on the things I want lol. Never really wanted to be president anyways."

junsei7

#297 Post by junsei7 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:54 pm

So excited to see Wolf Hall moving forward - Horse Hall is still one of my go-to games. :)

I ran into a possible inconsistency on Barbara's route. At the Dark Dance I saw her taken out with Grabiner and Potsdam, went to Snake Hall to check on her and was told that she tried to view spirits. But when I run into her in the dungeons afterwards (the scene that others have said was duplicated) the MC acts as though he doesn't know what happened. I thought maybe he was feigning ignorance, but the response "You looked at something... Oh! You used magic to see if there were any spirits..." seems like he is genuinely figuring out what happened from her hand gestures.

fairfaxleasee

#298 Post by fairfaxleasee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:00 am

hanako wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:47 pm
It's not the day after traveling from Europe, he's been in the US for a week (says so in the beginning) - he was touring with his parents. So no jet lag, just the tiredness of being in a taxi for a while. And the choice about needing to rest on the first day also doesn't have any effect. :) As that choice is largely for meta-reasons (knowing some players will want to get to the class gameplay faster).

Anyway, I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty of every choice and what it affects, not at this point.
OK, then maybe it's me misunderstanding how the choices correlated to the given stats then (I somehow managed to end up with the combination of lazy and scheming and am currently finding that particular combination generally amusing...and a bit apropos). I guess I had thought that I was picking less "lazy" answers and more just generally indifferent responses (although I could just have managed to rack up 1 more lazy point than any other, that's absolutely been known to happen to me in these games).

I also find it a bit odd that my character seems to know so much more about what's going on than I do. For example (and sorry for potential spoilers here), when he says what his actual origin story is, it's like a casual mention and then just drops it immediately with no follow up. I get why it might not be worth devoting dialogue to it, but I think a codex entry (and I apologize if there already is one, there didn't seem to be an obvious entry for it) explaining things in a bit more detail. Also, there seems to be some pertinent history about the blonde kid in Toad Hall that my character knows and I don't. I get that some of this is supposed to be mysteries for the players to solve as the game goes on, I just feel there's a certain amount of cognitive dissonance in my character knowing things I don't.

MegaZeroX

#299 Post by MegaZeroX » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Just caught up with the thread. I'm going to be pretty late about my thoughts about the romance options (the actual information already has been posted on Kickstarter), but here it goes:

First, just a structural thing, I think I mentioned this before, but if possible I'd like to go with approval voting so that way we can possibly vote for more than just 2 characters (and just the top 2 from them are selected).

Logan - I don't really have much feelings for him at all, since he generally just seems aloof. I guess if he is voted in that would be a time to fix that.

Jacob - He always seemed obnoxious, so I'm not particularly interested in him.

Angela - I know there was a lot of debate about this earlier on about whether she was abusive or not, but to me she seemed to be more "a bad person" than abusive. Kyo, on the other hand, seemed a lot more like the abusers of my friends/families. So while a Kyo romance would have had me annoyed, Angela seems intriguing to me.

Corrinna - In HH, she appeared like literally once IIRC. Now she seems involved in the poetry society, so she seems to have the start of a personality, but I just haven't seen enough yet to have strong opinions.

Big Steve - Eh, we had a route in HH. While he is interesting, and I'm sure you have more plans since you are offering up to a vote, I just feel like I'd rather have a side route with a new character.

Balthasar - This feels like it would be a really fun side route in the same vain that Big Steve's was in HH.

My vote then when it comes out will be Angela/Corrinna/Balthasar if we have approval voting. If limited to 2 votes, then it will be Angela/Balthasar.

fairfaxleasee

#300 Post by fairfaxleasee » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 am

Does anyone else have trouble getting the game to open? I'm on a Windows 10 PC and every time I try to open it, the first time it just pops up a command prompt window but does nothing else, the second time I get an error in the itch app saying I don't have permission to run the program, then the third time it actually works.