Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
cheshjabber

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#196 Post by cheshjabber » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Do the dungeons "reset" for every student that goes through? It clearly doesn't during exams (since you can use spirit echoes to see what previous students have done), but I'm not sure if it's the same for the weekend practice dungeons. I was trying to check if it was, and cast track scent right after entering the dungeon after a scene with Barbara as she was leaving the dungeons on Sept 14th, but it said no one had been through recently:

Also it would be fun if using track scent gave you some idea of what other people smelled like, but I realize that would be waaaay too much work to actually implement for such a tiny random detail. :lol:
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

cheshjabber

#197 Post by cheshjabber » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:47 pm

I FINALLY found the 3rd secret santa option - Raven!! I assume it was having a high relationship with Barbara (so we're clearly already friends, no need for a "push"), and the scene when you check on her after the Dark Dance where Suki is more friendly but Raven is more hostile? Also may I just say that Raven's new cape sprite is AMAZING A+++++ like that sprite alone got me excited for Raven's bonus romance in a way that nothing else had yet! :lol:
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

dmboogie

#198 Post by dmboogie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 pm

finished my first playthrough of the current build!! it was fun and im definitely looking forward to seeing more.

a few notes:

It felt weird that there wasn't any resolution to lying to Ellen. I did the whole sequence of "Agree to help William with making sure Damien doesn't f with Ellen" "Say the pie was from me" "Confess that I lied about the pie", and at the end she was rightfully pissed; but the thread kinda just ended there. In the rest of her appearances, she was friendly as ever, and I even invited her to the play without any pushback. Did something fail to trigger? Are the events just not in yet?

also, how're you supposed to beat the third dungeon? i bashed my head up against it for a long time before finally having to give up, and i'm not sure if I was missing a puzzle or if I was missing a spell. :(

hanako
Site Admin

#199 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Many, many ways, but without your full spell list I can't say if you could have gotten through it or not.

Savanime

#200 Post by Savanime » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm

dmboogie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 pm
also, how're you supposed to beat the third dungeon? i bashed my head up against it for a long time before finally having to give up, and i'm not sure if I was missing a puzzle or if I was missing a spell. :(
I got through the third dungeon with a combo of black and white magic. Specifically I used Awareness to find the hidden room with the rune, and the Spirit Echos to figure out how to use the rune. Once on the other side, I used Inspection to find the false wall. I figured this out based on what Ellen says if you ask her why she was upset at the professor. However, this took me like five runs to figure out and I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to go about it.

dmboogie

#201 Post by dmboogie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Savanime wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm
I got through the third dungeon with a combo of black and white magic. Specifically I used Awareness to find the hidden room with the rune, and the Spirit Echos to figure out how to use the rune. Once on the other side, I used Inspection to find the false wall. I figured this out based on what Ellen says if you ask her why she was upset at the professor. However, this took me like five runs to figure out and I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to go about it.
ahh, thank you!!

I managed to find the secret rune room with true sight, and used Trigger to actually teleport; but I wasn't thorough enough in inspecting the walls, rip.

AquaphobicSquid

#202 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm seeing a lot of people stuck on the third dungeon and am starting to wonder whether I found an unintentional way of beating basically every dungeon o.o;; basically just "Light", "Breeze", "Inspection" and the "Examine" function solve every one... maybe its just the most boring way of solving it? Perhaps it's just there for development testing purposes? Codey peoples, are you taking away the easy outs when the game is actually out? It's not much of an exam if you don't need to attend any classes except the first week, but it's nice not being forced to think about the exams when you're trying to find every possible route during development testing.

dmboogie

#203 Post by dmboogie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 pm

wolf hall inspired me to replay horse hall and man, having a unique (if brief) class session whenever you learn a new spell is something i always sorta felt was missing from horse hall; so it was real rad to see it actually implemented here!!

gimme alllllllllllllllll the magic flavor text

hanako
Site Admin

#204 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:50 pm

AquaphobicSquid wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 pm
I'm seeing a lot of people stuck on the third dungeon and am starting to wonder whether I found an unintentional way of beating basically every dungeon o.o;; basically just "Light", "Breeze", "Inspection" and the "Examine" function solve every one...
While those spells are very useful, (which is part of why we now force everyone to get the level1 spells), they are not sufficient on their own to solve either exam 2 or exam 3 unless you've found some sort of bug.

(You can tank exam 2 with enough HP, of course, but that's going to require putting some effort into your stats.)

phoenixgirl

#205 Post by phoenixgirl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 pm

I don't know if that has been noted but when I started a new playthrough, I noticed that in the codex, the character descriptions I unlocked on a previous playthrough are still there even though they probably shouldn't be? For example, in this playthrough, I hadn't met Damien yet but he's still in the codex?
Please help and support me here.

hanako
Site Admin

#206 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 pm

That's intended; it's meant to help players remember who the heck all these characters are if they pick up the game again after a break, as well as help give the player some guidance about where they might be missing areas of content overall (since if there are blanks left in your codex, it's clear there's SOMETHING you've never done)

AquaphobicSquid

#207 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 am

hanako wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:50 pm
AquaphobicSquid wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 pm
I'm seeing a lot of people stuck on the third dungeon and am starting to wonder whether I found an unintentional way of beating basically every dungeon o.o;; basically just "Light", "Breeze", "Inspection" and the "Examine" function solve every one...
While those spells are very useful, (which is part of why we now force everyone to get the level1 spells), they are not sufficient on their own to solve either exam 2 or exam 3 unless you've found some sort of bug.

(You can tank exam 2 with enough HP, of course, but that's going to require putting some effort into your stats.)
Ahh, that's right I used "Push" for 2 as well when I didn't have the tank build. I took a look at 3 again and you're right, I must've blasted through the first wall each time then used Inspect and Breeze to get out. No bug, sorry for the false alarm! My memory is horrible sometimes >.< as a side note, I cracked up when Grabby said "Consider where you went wrong" when I only know 5 spells haha ...how am I not expelled?

indiiea

#208 Post by indiiea » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:47 am

I already know exam 2 isn't possible with a pure white magic build, but is exam 3 possible with it? I can find the rune but how do I trigger it (since examine does nothing?) And I only have the 1st week spells for the other magics, and almost full in white.

hanako
Site Admin

#209 Post by hanako » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 am

Yes, it's possible and probably EASIEST with a full-white build. Try out your spells, you have ways to get the information you need.

Wawawiwa

#210 Post by Wawawiwa » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Attempted to "blast" the abyss during the third exam, got bug ( already reported it ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

would be neat to be able to check the ceiling (above the player) as I find myself constantly curious about what's up there. or would that make the dungeon needlessly complicated?

Truth be told, I really just wanted to destroy the ceilling above the abyss and attempt to fill it up with the debris lol