Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
CrimsonRose

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#121 Post by CrimsonRose » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm

I love this so far. I have noticed an issue when messing around with the python console and after getting it to kinda work once, now money gets a "name 'money' is not defined" error? Anyone else notice this? It also didn't register the change I made to money when I first tried it, even though on Python is said truth that time. I cleared it out to try and fix it but that didn't work and restarting the game didn't fix it either.

hanako
Site Admin

#122 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Possibly don't mess around with the internals? :P

We've got enough bugs to deal with at the moment as it is, hacking around may make it more confusing to figure out what went wrong in the real game. So while that stuff exists, I'd really rather not get into discussions of how to tinker with it or what it can and can't do right now. Cheats are really better suited for when the game is more stable!

CrimsonRose

#123 Post by CrimsonRose » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

cheshjabber wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 pm
ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Also, how many years are there in the school? :/ I had assumed 4, from my admittedly limited knowledge of US high schools, but characters only seem to be from the first and last years, and William says that it's Donald's seventeenth birthday.
There are four years in the school, but it's 16-20, not 14-18. You get that info in Horse Hall, but now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing it in Wolf Hall yet.

Which reminds me - how are Donald and Virginia in the same year? If I remember right, Virginia's birthday is in February, so with Donald's in October, they can't be just five months apart, can they? And who was Donald's senior, anyway? :lol:
Virginia was a super Preemie baby William mentioned that in Horse Hall when she got sick. so it's totally possible she was born that early.

Runespoor

#124 Post by Runespoor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm hilariously stuck on the first exam. Hilariously, because I'm testing stuff: I know with my current spell selection I could pass the exam, but instead I wasted all my mana trying for other less-obvious solutions (because I wanted to see how far Blue and White could get me), so now I'm with 1 mana, tried to give up once, was refused, and now PC says he "can't give up now". I am supposed to reload and try again in that case, yes?

CrimsonRose

#125 Post by CrimsonRose » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:27 pm

hanako wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 pm
Possibly don't mess around with the internals? :P

We've got enough bugs to deal with at the moment as it is, hacking around may make it more confusing to figure out what went wrong in the real game. So while that stuff exists, I'd really rather not get into discussions of how to tinker with it or what it can and can't do right now. Cheats are really better suited for when the game is more stable!
Oh I'm sorry I was just curious I won't mess with it anymore.

hanako
Site Admin

#126 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Runespoor wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm
I'm hilariously stuck on the first exam. Hilariously, because I'm testing stuff: I know with my current spell selection I could pass the exam, but instead I wasted all my mana trying for other less-obvious solutions (because I wanted to see how far Blue and White could get me), so now I'm with 1 mana, tried to give up once, was refused, and now PC says he "can't give up now". I am supposed to reload and try again in that case, yes?
If you have one mana left, exam 1 is not unwinnable.

Grabiner will not let you quit this exam unless you TRULY make it unwinnable.

(fun side comment, my scripting files for exam one include sections labeled 'IF YOU HAVE MADE IT UNWINNABLE' and 'IF YOU SOMEHOW MANAGE TO KILL YOURSELF WHICH IS PROBABLY CHEATING')

Eoniru

#127 Post by Eoniru » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pm

I just finished my first playthrough of the development build and enjoyed it a lot. I did run into a couple of typos/odd messages but they've all been posted by other users already.

With that said, I do have a question. Does drawing character X during the Secret Santa selection mean I am on her romance route? If so, I am confused as to how it happened. The character I drew is one of the confirmed full routes per the Kickstarter page but so is the one I thought I was pursuing. Admittedly, I did not shy away from interacting with characters when given an opportunity to do so but when selections came up that required me to pick only one person from a list (I think there were two), I always picked the same person yet I did not draw her during the Secret Santa selection.

Hanako, If you need specific information about who the characters are and the interactions I had/selections I made, please let me know and I will either post the information here or PM it to you, whichever you prefer.

Runespoor

#128 Post by Runespoor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Huhuh. ...Well, making it unwinnable reaps quite the reward. weeeeee terrible politics. i so hope i can bring back Damien to co-rule or something (I wasted my last mana point.)

Still, the diary assumes I did it intentionally instead of not figuring out the right spells. Did I miss an option in the argument with Grabiner after failing the exam where you can argue you failed sincerely, or is it always assumed that it's on purpose?

Editing wildly because I would feel bad about spamming: I just got my horrible terrible scheming princeling a co-president spot (after a swift detour through turning down that offer, that I didn't explore fully, just enough for the tiniest most embarrassing peek to speech time), and I love Minnie so much I want to cry. I loooooove heeeeeeeeeeeeeeer and her politics and I am actually fully prepared to ship her with privileged princeling because "rivals and partners and politics and secrets" is my jam. Yes. My smart ambitious world-changer of a class prez who looks out for wildseed interests and was the only one willing to tell Ellen more. I! Love! Her!!!!! Also this scene makes Potsdam's refusal to deal with Kyo's harassment so much worse, w o w. Didn't expect that, tbh. I thought it was just Potsdam keeping to her principles - and that may still be it, Potsdam's principles have always had terrible applications, but this makes it look like more. This makes it look like it might be personal, the same way it got personal between Potsdam and Damien. Didn't expect to get to the point I'd think Potsdam was playing games with Minnie. ...clearly I should have, given: Damien, and PCs.
Last edited by Runespoor on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#129 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm

Eoniru wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pm
With that said, I do have a question. Does drawing character X during the Secret Santa selection mean I am on her romance route?
No.

In fact, back in Horse Hall it meant you were less likely to be able to pursue that character's route, as the person you would get for Secret Santa would be the person out of a small set that you had the LOWEST relationship with, in order to give you a last chance to score points with them and maybe make them available as an option when the real decision point happened.

No one is on anyone's route at this point anyway. The official "route" point is not until the end of the semester.

manfromba

#130 Post by manfromba » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 am

hanako wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm
Eoniru wrote:
With that said, I do have a question. Does drawing character X during the Secret Santa selection mean I am on her romance route?
No.

In fact, back in Horse Hall it meant you were less likely to be able to pursue that character's route, as the person you would get for Secret Santa would be the person out of a small set that you had the LOWEST relationship with, in order to give you a last chance to score points with them and maybe make them available as an option when the real decision point happened.

No one is on anyone's route at this point anyway. The official "route" point is not until the end of the semester.
Is this mechanic still in Wolf Hall? Because in my most recent playthrough, Barbara was my Secret Santa even though I had spent all time that I could meeting with her. But I played as one who ran for but did not get the student council presidency and had no talent in green magic ant only moderate in Red.

waff1ez

#131 Post by waff1ez » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 am

I have to second that I absolutely ADORE Barbara, it may have something to do with her aesthetic, it may do to her really great character, I'm not quite sure but I adore her. I wasn't sure if I was gonna like her or Minnie more but I think I've all but decided.

hanako
Site Admin

#132 Post by hanako » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 am

manfromba wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 am
hanako wrote:
Eoniru wrote:
No.

Is this mechanic still in Wolf Hall? Because in my most recent playthrough, Barbara was my Secret Santa even though I had spent all time that I could meeting with her. But I played as one who ran for but did not get the student council presidency and had no talent in green magic ant only moderate in Red.
That's why I specified in Horse Hall. :)

Right now there are three possibilities you can get as your Secret Santa, but two of them have very specific requirements in order to achieve them, so most people are going to get Barbara as a default. This MAY change as the game develops further, the side romance options get added, etc. Since it's a good last chance to allow some rebalancing of points before route decisions happen, it can be tinkered with later for game balance purposes.

Runespoor

#133 Post by Runespoor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 am

Nice to see that Potsdam's just as dishonest about Iris Academy celebrating Christmas as she is about... well, pretty much everything else! :roll:

It's not a super satisfying scene. It is on brand for Potsdam, but I won't lie and say I like that MC doesn't even comment on how her answer is both too easy and disingenuous in his own mind, even if he doesn't speak it out. I suppose the fact that he's an outsider to American culture and English isn't his mother tongue explains why he's not aware of the controversy about Christmas (the holiday with the literal name of Christ in it) not being a general holiday - again: literal name of Christ in it.

I do genuinely appreciate the fact that the topic is brought up, though! It breaks immersion much less than back in Horse Hall. :)

Still, just a comment from MC thinking "that seems a bit too pat" after Potsdam's explanation would be nice.

MegaZeroX

#134 Post by MegaZeroX » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm

hanako wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 am
manfromba wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 am
hanako wrote:

No.

That's why I specified in Horse Hall. :)

Right now there are three possibilities you can get as your Secret Santa, but two of them have very specific requirements in order to achieve them, so most people are going to get Barbara as a default. This MAY change as the game develops further, the side romance options get added, etc. Since it's a good last chance to allow some rebalancing of points before route decisions happen, it can be tinkered with later for game balance purposes.
Interesting. In all of my breakthroughs I've done so far, I've gotten Jacob. What are the conditions for getting him?

hanako
Site Admin

#135 Post by hanako » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Being on the Student Council. :)

(It shouldn't happen otherwise - if it did, something went wrong.)