Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#406 Post by hanako » Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 pm

0.6.8 update

* WolfPC now leads Damien to Wolf Hall, not Horse Hall
* Scrubber for unit speed, so slowness will persist across saves.
* Sensory model adjusted. Units no longer auto-perceivable to SENSE_MAGIC,
so movement notifications won't be automatically delivered to everything
that can perceive spells being cast. Traps now use SENSE_PROXIMITY,
which everything has by default. So you won't get messages talking about
the Sparkle moving before you detect it.
* Now keep track of flags for whether you got caught sneaking after William
and whether you said poetry was boring. (only stored in new games)
* New scenes in.

New scenes include the first Bingo game, followups with Potsdam and Minnie if you're President, a Barbara encounter, and a scene to get you into the Poetry Club if you were somehow on William's path without previously having joined. (It's unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible, so this should make sure that any soulful poems are available to all William-fanciers.)

Currently runs through the afternoon of Jan 11th.

Lucy

#407 Post by Lucy » Fri May 31, 2019 3:23 pm

I’m wondering if others are having the same experience - I’m finding it quite difficult to work out what choices get William to approve of you. With the other characters it feels more intuitive to me but with William I’m never really sure what the dialogue choices are that make him happy.

To what extent does your personality (lazy, flirty, etc) matter for how much certain characters like you?

hanako
Site Admin

#408 Post by hanako » Fri May 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Personality type is supposed to have very little effect on characters liking you, because it's not something players can control or change easily after the beginning of the game. For the most part it only changes the flavor of interactions rather than changing whether or not you can get on their routes.

It's more difficult to get with Minnie if you're Lazy, because that makes the election hard to win. It's not impossible though.

It's more difficult to get with Barbara if you're Flirty, because there are a few times where you may accidentally piss her off by being too forward. But that depends on choices and can be avoided.

I think that's about it as far as it really making a difference.

The biggest key to getting William's route is spending time with him and not actively annoying him.
DO: try to go to events with him, like the play, the cookie party after the first exam, the poetry club
DON'T: blow him off during initiation, tell him you don't want to talk to him, get caught following him after he told you not to, get involved with damien and be rude to william about it, etc

Lucy

#409 Post by Lucy » Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm

I guess what wasn’t clear to me is the effect of the less obvious dialogue options in some cases. For instance, is it better to tell William “I don’t want special treatment” or “I look forward to initiation”? And does it matter whether or not you hesitate before putting on the blindfold?

hanako
Site Admin

#410 Post by hanako » Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm

This is not a game where every question has a right and a wrong answer! A lot of it is pure role-playing, to make your character think and behave the way you want him to. Especially in the early game where you're still getting to know all the characters and find out what they're like in order to know if you WANT to pursue them.

In cases where neither option seems to have a big effect, that's probably exactly the case... there's no big effect.

cae

#411 Post by cae » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:30 am

I found a small typo here in a character name. (Possible spoilers in the link!)
https://puu.sh/DzSRC/abf81d3765.png

Otherwise I have been enjoying the game so much! Thank you Hanako!

nightshadengale

#412 Post by nightshadengale » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:20 am

hanako wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:36 pm
It's more difficult to get with Barbara if you're Flirty, because there are a few times where you may accidentally piss her off by being too forward. But that depends on choices and can be avoided.
Oops, I'd been noticing that and wondering if there was actually any relationship effect--good to know!

(On a side note, I love Minnie's new rant scene about the missing wildseed students. The sinister edge that was lurking around the corners in Horse Hall is so much more in-your-face here due to Gary Stu's different perspective; where Mary Sue was getting it rationalized to her, Gary's getting it less obscured and then doing the rationalization himself. It's fascinating!

Ryechu

#413 Post by Ryechu » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:48 am

An actual question, and then just a dump of stuff I've found doing some new stuff and some stuff I didn't think to do.

What's the math surrounding whether your studying is a success, and whether you get +1, +2, +3 of a magic? It appears to be linked to stress, but I'm really interested in the math behind it. It'd be interesting to figure out how high of a combined magic score one could get, and what would be required to do that.

---

https://ibb.co/c3KLmTg

No spoilers. When discussing a magical place off-campus shortly after Dark Dance. Enrolment -> Enrollment

https://ibb.co/bg6RSCB

Damien's date following Dark Dance. Comma splice.

https://ibb.co/J34tsk5

Diary entry for Tengu. Comonly -> Commonly

https://ibb.co/9TG2YRH

Diary entry for Three Kindred. Oddly, the quotation marks here follow American English grammar rules, whereas British English grammar rules have been used elsewhere. I also found a "neighbor" in a Damien script, but now I can't find it again.

https://ibb.co/ssnry69
https://ibb.co/30KCYtq

Post Bingo scene discussion with Luke. Two busted sprites.

And a fun bug:

Tested this with being on Luke's "route." The weekend after the Bingo game, when selecting what to do (Mall, Dungeon, Study). Dungeon moves immediately to the Lava dungeon and the BGM does not properly change. The transition stuff is missing here.

(This doesn't seem to happen with Barbara.)

hanako
Site Admin

#414 Post by hanako » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 am

What's the math surrounding whether your studying is a success, and whether you get +1, +2, +3 of a magic? It appears to be linked to stress, but I'm really interested in the math behind it. It'd be interesting to figure out how high of a combined magic score one could get, and what would be required to do that.
Simple answer: the role that determines whether you succeed is a stress-based roll. If you succeed, you get either 1 or 2 points randomly. If you are wearing a charm of the relevant color, you add another +1 to that, so you get either 2 or 3 points.

More complicated answer: There are some rolls where success/fail may be forced by the event. The actual stress roll is not a straight d100 vs stress either. If stress is under 10, you automatically succeed at your class. If stress is over 10, then if random(100) is less than (Stress minus (White/4)), you fail. This is why Potsdam tells you that studying White Magic will help you learn other kinds of magic - a White master has a little extra stress buffer. The White buffer vs failing counts for magic classes only. For Gym class, replace the bonus with Green/4 instead. For Study, no bonus. At least that's how it's supposed to work at the moment, though some numbers may be adjusted once the full game year is available and we see how people's final stats work out.

(Enrolment is a valid spelling - My spelling and grammar naturally fluctuate between British and American and have all my life, from reading too much. It's a me-quirk. I tried to standardise British for ALLP, and WolfPC pushes more British in many places because of his background, but generally I don't worry about it if it's either valid in SOME variant of English or is something the person responsible would legitimately write/say.) Thanks for the typo catches!

If you find broken sprites the best thing to do when possible is to click the Crash button in the lower-left as that uploads the location of the sprite failure to Spiky so he can find it more easily. Though in this case it's pretty easy to figure out where you were :)

Lucy

#415 Post by Lucy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:12 pm

hanako wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm
This is not a game where every question has a right and a wrong answer! A lot of it is pure role-playing, to make your character think and behave the way you want him to.
That makes sense, I do appreciate that we get to fill in our own characters.

& I agree with nightshadengale - the darker side of Potsdam/Iris Academy is getting very interesting! I'm really enjoying Minnie's path, especially now that our own character gets some more agency in the student council. I'm curious to find out more about *why* Minnie is so eager to be president and do everything - is she under family pressure like our MC, or does she just enjoy it, or does she have higher ambitions after graduation that she's preparing for? Hope this is addressed later on her path :)

My spelling and grammar naturally fluctuate between British and American and have all my life
^Heh I relate to this so much as a non-native speaker

hanako
Site Admin

#416 Post by hanako » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 pm

0.6.9.2 Update

​* New scenes ending on night of Jan 14th

* Pastel sprite updated
* Missing Luke expression during bingo fixed.
* traceback_from_here() debug function enhanced, now also sends arguments.
This will help to diagnose the details of various Weird Errors.
* Warning saving sparkles (caused by discovered_units) should be fixed.
* Always include screen names in saves. This should work around a bug where
saves made with a spellcard up would warn on load. Only affects new saves.
* Logan no longer keeps sliding when talking to Hetzel at Bingo.
* Jan 11/18 dungeon intro added.
* Now automatically resize big map displays to include the cells at z2x3,
z2x4, and z3x4. Fixes a bug where the bigroom background would have a hole
in it.
* Some typo fixes
* Correctly interpolate lowest colour when studying with Distracted Minnie on
Jan 11.

New scenes include: poetry club, sports club, gym class, ellen, luke

cheshjabber

#417 Post by cheshjabber » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:29 am

Finally have some time to play WH again! Encountered this glitch in the first exam, unless it's been rearranged so that the Sparkle is supposed to be with you from the start? (I could talk to it and whatnot.)

Edit: Also found a typo! "Strenghten" instead of "strengthen."
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

Vivien B.

#418 Post by Vivien B. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:20 pm

https://ibb.co/FnXmbD3

I suppose that means sangoire candles! ; ) I adore Raven so much.

Ryechu

#419 Post by Ryechu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 am

Wait, I just realized this... when you get high stress, the "Voice" says "Careful, Luke!", and the next line is Logan speaking. That... doesn't feel intentional. Or maybe I'm crazy.

Also, that "Rye" guy seems awfully familiar, hehe~

Third, got some inconsistency in the conjunction capitalization in these choices: https://ibb.co/MpB9mXD

hanako
Site Admin

#420 Post by hanako » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:13 am

Ryechu wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 am
Wait, I just realized this... when you get high stress, the "Voice" says "Careful, Luke!", and the next line is Logan speaking. That... doesn't feel intentional. Or maybe I'm crazy.
The next line is Logan apologising for reflexively calling you Luke when he saw you stumble.

(Sorry the wand is a little hard to see unless you hide the textbox!)