Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
nightshadengale

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#361 Post by nightshadengale » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:29 am

Have you considered adding the "help someone else" option when studying on the weekend on a recurring basis? It feels skeevy to only offer to help people while campaigning--and we did (potentially) agree to join Study Club! (I also just think it'd also be interesting to have a weekend study option that raised your highest magic by a point--or a random magic that's above, say, 10*game month. With the new 1-2 default range for learning magic, I'm finding the bonus points from studying with Minnie less useful than they were in Horse Hall. You need to devote more timeslots to effectively dabble, so I end up with two or three really low colors instead of one or two.)

Speaking of studying on the weekends, the payoffs of going to the mall have always seemed too low to me. For managing your stress and Smarts, doing most of your studying on the weekend and occasionally relaxing during the school week is leagues better than spending your weekends at the mall and studying during the week, even without taking into account that most of the options at the mall also consume money. Even if all the mall options reduced stress by double what they do currently, all the stress-relief ones would still be worse than sleeping during the weekday.

Mall options:
Snack: -5 Stress, costs 20-60% of weekly allowance
Meal: -10 Stress, costs 100% of weekly allowance
Pinball: -5 Stress, costs 40% of weekly allowance
Free options: -3 Stress, free
Dance games: +1 Strong, costs 60% of weekly allowance
Claw machine: +1 Stress, costs 20% of weekly allowance, small chance of prize

Ignoring the claw machine, these all have way worst cost/benefit compared to equivalent options during the week (-25 stress for free, or +2 strength for +2 stress instead of $3). To get the same stress-relief from the mall that you do from relaxing for a day, it would take minimum 3 weeks of mall (spending your entire allowance for two of those weeks). The weekend study option, though, is completely equivalent to the weekday study option (or potentially better, in cases where +1 magic is worth the extra 2 stress).

Would it be unbalancing to make all the weekend options (including dance games) lower stress by 5-10 more than they currently do? Then it would feel like less of a waste to spend money at the mall rather than saving it for the magic shop.

MillaMaxwell

#362 Post by MillaMaxwell » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

nightshadengale wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:29 am
Have you considered adding the "help someone else" option when studying on the weekend on a recurring basis? It feels skeevy to only offer to help people while campaigning--and we did (potentially) agree to join Study Club! (I also just think it'd also be interesting to have a weekend study option that raised your highest magic by a point--or a random magic that's above, say, 10*game month. With the new 1-2 default range for learning magic, I'm finding the bonus points from studying with Minnie less useful than they were in Horse Hall. You need to devote more timeslots to effectively dabble, so I end up with two or three really low colors instead of one or two.)
Interestingly, you have that option on that particular weekend regardless of whether Gary Stu is campaigning or not. I did a playthrough yesterday where I decided to disappoint his parents and then studied on the weekend. I still got the "can I help?" option and Minnie still turned him down for being a generalist. Maybe Gary only thought of it that weekend because Minnie seems even more passionate about helping everyone than usual during campaign week?

ParrotWatcher

#363 Post by ParrotWatcher » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am

hanako wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:21 pm
As for your second, I was actually pondering whether that should be a thing or not...
I certainly think it would be fun to see. :P And it shouldn't be too time-consuming to code. I guess you could add a few lines for the Donald/Ellen choice, too, although that one would be less entertaining.
manfromba wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 pm
How does one get Raven as a Secret Santa?

Speaking of Secret Santas, in my most recent playthrough, my character was as nice as possible to Barbara but got her as his Secret Santa.
I'm wondering if it might have to do not with how much you know Barbara (the MC will always know her a little), but how much you know Raven, since it's supposed to be for people who know one another a little but aren't close friends. I have no idea how to get to meet Raven, though... :lol:
nightshadengale wrote:
Yeah; the current one only raises your lowest stat (I think), so won't be helpful unless you're playing a complete generalist. (And training others could result in scenes with other students, although that would be more trouble to implement...)
nightshadengale wrote:
Would it be unbalancing to make all the weekend options (including dance games) lower stress by 5-10 more than they currently do? Then it would feel like less of a waste to spend money at the mall rather than saving it for the magic shop.
Honestly, I don't think we really get enough money that using it to relax at the weekends will ever be economical, when the charms and wands are as good as they are. (I guess once you've got the better wand and whichever charm you need, you can afford to spend more on other things, but that certainly doesn't happen in the first term.)

hanako
Site Admin

#364 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 am

Unlocking Raven for Secret Santa has to do with running into her at a few rare events throughout the year and interacting with her just enough to get a sense of what she's like. (While it's not actually random, because the events are fixed, it would feel "by chance" for both of them - they don't intend to meet each other, or even really talk to each other more than a few words, they just happen to cross paths.)

Also you have to not be President because Jacob takes priority.

The critical Raven scenes at the moment:

Visiting the Magic Shop more than once before Oct 31
Window Shopping on Nov 23 (when the candle booth is there)
Seeing Raven practicing in the gym before the duel event (counts double if you fetch Professor Van Brun for help)

Do at least two of those and you should get her for Secret Santa, and have formed enough of an opinion of her to be able to make a guess about a card for her.

Right now the Raven+Suki scene after the Dark Dance doesn't count for these purposes - willing to consider adding it to the list if people think it should be, since it does leave some impression of her. Raven in the library definitely doesn't count, though, as you don't really see much of her there.

manfromba

#365 Post by manfromba » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 am

"Professor Potsdam takes Minnie and I aside."
should be
"Professor Potsdam takes Minnie and me aside."

cheshjabber

#366 Post by cheshjabber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 am

manfromba wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 am
should be
Eh, I think that’s subjective! Especially since MC is not a native speaker of English. But even if he were I think either one of those would work fine! ^^
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

manfromba

#367 Post by manfromba » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:06 am

cheshjabber wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 am
manfromba wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 am
should be
Eh, I think that’s subjective! Especially since MC is not a native speaker of English. But even if he were I think either one of those would work fine! ^^
Not necessarily. Would a native English speaker write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes I aside."? No. A native English speaker would write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes me aside.". Would a native English speaker write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes we aside."? No. A native English speaker would write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes ya aside.". So the same applies when "me" or "us" is replaced with "Minnie and me".

Admittedly, the narrator is not a native English speaker, but the narrative voice is not written in deliberately grammatically non-standard English.

nightshadengale

#368 Post by nightshadengale » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:18 am

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am
nightshadengale wrote:
Honestly, I don't think we really get enough money that using it to relax at the weekends will ever be economical, when the charms and wands are as good as they are. (I guess once you've got the better wand and whichever charm you need, you can afford to spend more on other things, but that certainly doesn't happen in the first term.)
Definitely don't think relaxing on weekends needs to be an equally good use of both time and money as every other option, but I often wish it were slightly...less bad? If my stress is getting high at the end of the week it'd be nice if spending money to relax on Saturday were a viable means to lower stress enough to get through the next week, rather than "guess I should study with Minnie then sleep on Monday." I still wouldn't do it on "good student" characters where I'm going for good stats, but I'd be significantly more to do it occasionally on more laid back characters.

cheshjabber

#369 Post by cheshjabber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am

manfromba wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:06 am

Not necessarily. Would a native English speaker write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes I aside."? No. A native English speaker would write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes me aside.". Would a native English speaker write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes we aside."? No. A native English speaker would write or say, "Professor Potsdam takes ya aside.". So the same applies when "me" or "us" is replaced with "Minnie and me".

Admittedly, the narrator is not a native English speaker, but the narrative voice is not written in deliberately grammatically non-standard English.
Standards of grammar change as language evolves! “X and I” sounds as natural to me as “X and me,” though I totally understand that that’s subjective! ^^

Anyway, I’d prefer not to get into a long debate on nit picky grammar stuff, so I’m willing to agree to disagree lol :lol:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

manfromba

#370 Post by manfromba » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:43 pm

The game crashes when my character has 60 red and 60 black magic but gets more than 60 black magic - apparently, there is a missing spell called "Fire Trap" that needs to be implemented.

cheshjabber

#371 Post by cheshjabber » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 pm

I've finally had some time to play the latest update to Wolf Hall today!! :lol: Still making my way through it, but:

-When I cast Long Jump in Exam 3, it didn't deplete my MP at all. (Was able to fire off 2 Awarenesses, 2 Lights, & 1 Long Jump with only 30 MP lol!)

-Something I've been meaning to mention for a while, and this option could already exist and I've just missed it, but would it be possible to delete old save files from the save screen? I'm sure there's some way to do it if I dig into the corresponding folder on my computer, but it would be a lot more convenient to clean up my saves from the save screen itself. ^^;

-I know someone mentioned this way upthread, but I'd really love either a codex entry about the illusory monster Donald conjures, or the chance to ask either Donald, Potsdam, or whoever about it afterwards and get a codex entry that way. Likewise for some of the specific stuff in MC's dream, if it's not too spoilery - but I finally remembered to google the Aleppo pine and found out that was a real tree, which is super cool!! I love little details like that!!

EDIT: Oh weird, I've been playing via itch, but it didn't update the latest patch until after I closed the game when I unexpectedly hit the end of the content from the last patch - maybe I launched it too quickly when I opened the itch client? Note to self, try not to be too impatient to play this game!! :lol:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

Gamer

#372 Post by Gamer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:50 am

I think it would be better if the player was roommates with Donald and Luke. One of the reasons I loved playing Horse Hall was because it gave me the immersive magical school experience. Also-I understand the player has a different backstory than the player in Horse Hall, but what if he decided to be a rebellious prince? Could he still try to push his limits with Grabiner and try to sleep for the whole first week of school and find other ways to get detention? Grabiner had no tolerance for my intentionally hurting myself during an exam the second time around but with the new personality traits, I think it'd be fun to REALLY push Grabby's buttons. I also liked testing William and Damien.

ParrotWatcher

#373 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 am

Gamer wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:50 am
I think it would be better if the player was roommates with Donald and Luke. One of the reasons I loved playing Horse Hall was because it gave me the immersive magical school experience.
I agree that it would be more fun, but I think that's kinda the point. Us not being allowed to room with them is supposed to make us feel awkward and isolated, to highlight the fact that we really are different, both to them and to Mary Sue, whether we would like it or not. That said, I'd certainly like it if we got the chance to move in with them later in the year, although I can see that as being a lot of work to implement. If nothing else, it would be nice to see Gary trying to change his living situation (even if in vain).

manfromba

#374 Post by manfromba » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Could there be a way in which Minnie teaches Gary Stu spells when her study sessions help him to reach a required level, at least for the low level spells (say, those associated with 5 and 10)? That way, Gary would not have a situation where Minnie's study sessions help him to reach 5 in a spell color but then need to waste a precious class session learning the spell associated with that level.

MillaMaxwell

#375 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:22 pm

manfromba wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm
Could there be a way in which Minnie teaches Gary Stu spells when her study sessions help him to reach a required level, at least for the low level spells (say, those associated with 5 and 10)? That way, Gary would not have a situation where Minnie's study sessions help him to reach 5 in a spell color but then need to waste a precious class session learning the spell associated with that level.
I was thinking about that recently too... It could be awkward to implement something like this though because you wouldn't get to see the scene where Grabiner or Potsdam explains the spell's use. And since Minnie approaches teaching very differently from either of them, new dialogue would have to be written if she gave the explanation instead. Now that I think about it though, I would kind of love to see how differently Minnie would approach that, giving a straightforward (if very enthusiastic) description rather than the dramatic ones Grabiner and Potsdam utilize.