Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#301 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am

Note: I made a post in the Exam 2 thread and then deleted it, because I looked at the spell list and went "you know, that spell's requirements are too high for it logically". I am therefore planning to adjust when a particular spell becomes available, which may change the solutions to that exam, though you'd need to back up in order to get the class to unlock it.

Just explaining why my post vanished!

ParrotWatcher

Re: Exam 2 Tips and Tricks

#302 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:14 am

I do think that it's a shame there seems to be no White way to beat this. Maybe if there was some spirit in the stone or trigger who could be convinced to help you?

Otherwise, it does feel as though the teachers are just penalising any White student by not providing them any way to solve the puzzle... (Which is possibly in character for Potsdam, but I don't think it would be for Grabiner...)

hanako
Site Admin

#303 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 pm

NEW PATCH (0.5.42.2)

Art:
- Manuel sprite updated
- Some missing Luke sprites fixed

Gameplay:
- Televoke spell now available at much lower level and cost
- Heal no longer 'cures' positive conditions (like Boost Strength)
- Should no longer be able to cast other spells during Farsight
- Fear prevents melee attacks

Crashes/Errors:
- Color Mastery trophies hopefully not crashing now
- Trying to Communicate with yourself no longer crashes
- Climbing the vines should no longer give weird errors later
- Crash with gas and Long Jump fixed

New scenes/dialog:
- New Grabiner lecture if you die in the poison gas but didn't die immediately
- New text for talking to Minnie after losing the election by turning down the deal
- Exam 4 now playable
- New scenes on Dec 14 (incl President, Detention, Ellen)
- New scene on Dec 15 (Damien)

Savanime

#304 Post by Savanime » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Just played through the new demo. Love the new Minnie dialogue and I thought the new exam was clever.

I uploaded a bug report because for me, the game completely crashes on December 14th because I'm supposed to go shopping with Donald.

ViviFellow

#305 Post by ViviFellow » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

A little detail I notice now in Raven base sprite, there's a little transparency. Sorry if I'm a little nitpick, it's just a little thing that bothers me sometimes with some expressions in dark backgrounds (^^)U

Pic related:

Last edited by ViviFellow on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MillaMaxwell

#306 Post by MillaMaxwell » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 pm

I love the new dialogue and scenes! I am super curious about that ghost? (maybe Musette?!) that Ellen described and I thought the detention scene with Suki was hilarious. And thank you very much for adding that dialogue with Minnie after turning down the copresidency! That really did fix all of my concerns about that sequence.

Anyway, here are some bugs I found:

I got this message when I used Farsight on a space that contained gas. It fortunately didn't actually do any damage to my HP, but it was still a very odd message.

I used Awareness and Spirit Echoes to get through the third exam and this message appeared after touching the runes following the use of Spirit Echoes. It seems to have thought another unit teleported in because it left a question mark on the mini map even after I moved out of that space. I've solved the exam with these same spells in the past, but I don't think I've encountered this message before so I figured I should share it.

cheshjabber

#307 Post by cheshjabber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Just saw the new content with Minnie if you declined her deal - I really like the option to call her out for lying about the MC, that was really cathartic lol! I think it could also be a good opportunity to mention that English is the MC's second language, so it's even more unfair that Minnie ascribes meaning to his words that a non-native English speaker would have no reason to realize were a possible connotation of that specific phrase. And rather than an option to ask if she would've kept to the deal (which doesn't really make sense to me? After all, if the MC declines the deal, his dialogue implies that he dislikes the idea itself, whether or not she'd go along with it, so why would he care whether or not she'd have kept to it?), I'd enjoy the option to ask her why she felt the need to offer the deal in the first place and accuse her of manipulating the election so she'd look good no matter what - or better yet, maybe with a high enough Smart, make that accusation during your speech lol! (Maybe opening up the possibility for a solo presidency?)

Well most of that is wishful thinking on my part lol. Fun hypotheticals to speculate on, not actual expectations! :lol: I can't emphasize enough how happy & relieved I am that there's at least some possibility for catharsis on the Minnie subject so early on in the game. Thank you Hanako!!
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

jak

#308 Post by jak » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Random considerations: I'm really liking Wolf Hall. Various cool elements of the setting that were present in Horse Hall are more visible and feel more connected to the story (spirits, various details about magical traditions). Tbh I would even play other games in the same setting.
I guess that in second part of the year something will happen if the player drops too many clues about the MC family and origins: every time there's the choice to do it, or to keep a low profile (... or at least a lower profile).
About the scene added at the December with the school presidents:
Professor Potsdam use the pronoun "we" when referring to the first European apprentices that went to America. Obviously is possible that she meant "we descendants", but is already implied that she is far older than her looks (thank you, green magic). So she would be 500 years old? Nice.

fairfaxleasee

#309 Post by fairfaxleasee » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I have to echo the previous post that I'm overall enjoying the game so far. I think it's a technical improvement over Horse Hall in many ways (from the text that keeps reminding me that "tab" is not the auto forward macro to not being forced to join the sports club, although if you do make further entries in the series I'd love for drama to be a club option).
The one thing I do miss from Horse Hall is to body type cosmetic choice (I think Horse Hall is the only game with customized protagonist that includes that kind of option, which I really liked) but I 100% appreciate not changing Ellen's design because the protagonist in this game is male.

cheshjabber

#310 Post by cheshjabber » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Oh yeah, wanted to be on the record just so I could crow if I'm right or laugh at myself if I'm wrong, but I think the red-haired person you glimpse spying on you during Thanksgiving break is either Musette or Angela! (And may I add while I'm here that I am SO HYPE to get more of the Musette story, given that she is apparently a ghost of some sort!)
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

hanako
Site Admin

#311 Post by hanako » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 pm

fairfaxleasee wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 pm
The one thing I do miss from Horse Hall is to body type cosmetic choice (I think Horse Hall is the only game with customized protagonist that includes that kind of option, which I really liked) but I 100% appreciate not changing Ellen's design because the protagonist in this game is male.
There is a PC body type option in the pipeline but we haven't started implementing it yet. One of the things we did with kickstarter funds was to get a bunch of sprite upgrades, which we've been slowly adding in, but they're not all in place yet. Not quite sure how it's going to be shown on the character design screen though.

indiiea

#312 Post by indiiea » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm enjoying the updates and the new scenes! I liking I'm starting to see more of the kickstarter extra romance option characters. I'll play it more when I've gotten more sleep, hehe. I just had time to go through it once, but minor thing that threw me off:

Because of *Broke I get this dialogue:
Well, that solves my problem about shopping, anyway.

Then immediately after MC says,

Well, that solves one of my problems, but now I've got to hurry to detention.
Since the start of the sentences are so alike, the transition end up a little jagged ^^;

phoenixgirl

#313 Post by phoenixgirl » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 pm

cheshjabber wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Just saw the new content with Minnie if you declined her deal - I really like the option to call her out for lying about the MC, that was really cathartic lol! I think it could also be a good opportunity to mention that English is the MC's second language, so it's even more unfair that Minnie ascribes meaning to his words that a non-native English speaker would have no reason to realize were a possible connotation of that specific phrase. And rather than an option to ask if she would've kept to the deal (which doesn't really make sense to me? After all, if the MC declines the deal, his dialogue implies that he dislikes the idea itself, whether or not she'd go along with it, so why would he care whether or not she'd have kept to it?), I'd enjoy the option to ask her why she felt the need to offer the deal in the first place and accuse her of manipulating the election so she'd look good no matter what - or better yet, maybe with a high enough Smart, make that accusation during your speech lol! (Maybe opening up the possibility for a solo presidency?)

Well most of that is wishful thinking on my part lol. Fun hypotheticals to speculate on, not actual expectations! :lol: I can't emphasize enough how happy & relieved I am that there's at least some possibility for catharsis on the Minnie subject so early on in the game. Thank you Hanako!!
lol I've got to try that high smarts when I get the chance. I only ever ran for presidency one playthrough and yeah, that didn't leave a desired taste in my mouth, so I've got to play this new update when I have the chance. :lol:
Please help and support me here.

FantasyFan

#314 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:49 am

Again my computer won't let me take a screenshot, but I quit Exam 3 while I had the Inspection menu open and as a result the menu remained open after Grabiner teleported me out of the dungeon.

hanako
Site Admin

#315 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am

phoenixgirl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 pm
cheshjabber wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 pm

lol I've got to try that high smarts when I get the chance. I only ever ran for presidency one playthrough and yeah, that didn't leave a desired taste in my mouth, so I've got to play this new update when I have the chance. :lol:
Not sure what you're saying you want to try, as there is no special high-smart option there - there IS new text if you talk to her in the library the day after the election, but the rest of that was just the other poster's ideas, not what's in the game. :)