Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
indiiea

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#181 Post by indiiea » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am

hanako wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:48 am
Have people caught the scene with Van Brun and Raven? (It has a very limited available period (Nov 11-13), so it might be harder to stumble over.)
the one where Raven falls down on a yoga mat but she's just practicing for a play? I saw it.

waff1ez

#182 Post by waff1ez » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Gym teacher design is really really good, I am a fan of it. I don't know what else to say other than that, I think its creative and cool!

phoenixgirl

#183 Post by phoenixgirl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm a bit late but I've been playtesting when I can (in between work and all). I was wondering how to pass the second exam, like tips and all. I've been focusing mostly on blue magic but I wonder if it's useless for this exam?
Please help and support me here.

hanako
Site Admin

#184 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Blue can get you through exam2 if you focus on it hard. Low-level blue spells, not so much.
Teleport would be useful!

Foelhe

#185 Post by Foelhe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:20 pm

phoenixgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:56 pm
I'm a bit late but I've been playtesting when I can (in between work and all). I was wondering how to pass the second exam, like tips and all. I've been focusing mostly on blue magic but I wonder if it's useless for this exam?
I had no problem getting through with Far Sight and then Teleport Self to jump past the gas.

hanako
Site Admin

#186 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 pm

indiiea wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 am

I think this might be an error? I focused on green magic and was going to cast "entangle" to get over the abysses, but when I try to cast it in a corner I get this message and couldn't pass the exam.
I'm checking on that (but you should still be able to pass the exam by going the other direction - only one side has two holes on it. in general i mean as obviously you're out of mana there.)

indiiea

#187 Post by indiiea » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 pm

hanako wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 pm
indiiea wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 am

I think this might be an error? I focused on green magic and was going to cast "entangle" to get over the abysses, but when I try to cast it in a corner I get this message and couldn't pass the exam.
I'm checking on that (but you should still be able to pass the exam by going the other direction - only one side has two holes on it. in general i mean as obviously you're out of mana there.)
I did reload the exam to try that, but there was also a hole in the corner when I went in the other direction. I got the same error when I tried casting the spell in that corner. But now I realize the layout might've changed when I reloaded, haha. *facepalm*

hanako
Site Admin

#188 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm

There are ways to check which direction is "right" before crossing a hole, although one method may be misleading. :twisted:

ParrotWatcher

#189 Post by ParrotWatcher » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Don't know if this has been reported, but my game crashed when I tried to Push the boulder in the Saturday dungeon (28 September):

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/week4.rpy", line 128, in script call
  File "game/week4.rpy", line 1694, in script call
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2031, in script
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2032, in <module>
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/week4.rpy", line 128, in script call
  File "game/week4.rpy", line 1694, in script call
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2031, in script
  File "[path]\MagicalDiaryWolfHallBeta\renpy\ast.py", line 814, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "[path]\MagicalDiaryWolfHallBeta\renpy\python.py", line 1695, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/dungeon.rpy", line 2032, in <module>
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/ship.py", line 858, in AdvanceTime
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/ship.py", line 558, in __call__
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/wolfhall.py", line 3115, in Rolling
  File "/home/renpy/projects/WolfHall/game/modules/units.py", line 1826, in Damage
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.2.2029+SPIKY

(Also, does Spark not affect the training dummy? :( )

EDIT: Also, it would be nice to be able to see what the spells in the quickbar are when I'm setting them; at the moment it's almost trial and error what ends up getting replaced.

Runespoor

#190 Post by Runespoor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:30 am

I didn’t realize the option to “Refuse” at the Dark Dance meant dumping Damien! (though I maybe should have, nice callback to how one locks oneself out of Damien’s route and the Initiation Week in HH XD) I think an option later in the year would be good - I agree that my PC would definitely want to waste Damien’s time enough that he wouldn’t have too much time snagging another freshman on the rebound, even if Wolf PC would likely be a little less into crushing Damien emotionally that a player who’s played HH and is out for revenge. Breaking up at the Dark Dance would make my PC worried that Damien has enough time to run after Ellen again.

Given Damien seems to have taken that break-up pretty bad, though, I guess PC might not be done with Damien even after dumping him… I’m curious about that, in fact: I was under the impression that he and Angela had a Thing once and she’s the one who broke up with him, publically, etc, did he take it the same way then, or did he take it differently because Angela never hid that she was just using him? I would love if there was an option to get back on a Damien-mance route again even after that, though. Speaking for myself, my favorite thing about the Damien route in HH was that you could reasonably play it as antagonistic at the end, with Damien and Mary Sue both pretty co-dependent, and definitely not over playing games. Maybe something like that could be in the cards?

On a related note, one thing I look very much forward to as a Damien route is the route where after PC spills the beans to Damien (and says he’s only doing it because he wants to date WIlliam), he and Damien inadvertently end up entangled in their own games and falling for each other. Is that in the cards?

I also do agree that William reaching out to PC to intervene about Damien is super manipulative. It’s horrible for Ellen - William says he doesn’t want PC to pretend to like Ellen, just to be her friend, but doesn’t try to be her friend himself, not to mention how patronizing his attitude is - and it’s horrible for PC too - PC is Ellen’s age… Very well-meaning, though, in a way that reminds me of William’s reaction when PC jokingly calls him “professor.”

I love the new teacher, find her intriguing as well and agree her design is gorgeous! To add to the idea that her species is nocturnal, if that turns out to be relevant, I think it’d be nice if she had a scene with Barbara or if PC and Barbara had a discussion about her, in case it turns out Barbara isn’t the only one adventuring at night in the school. Maybe she and Van Brun crossed paths at some point!

Also, I finally picked the option to visit Barbara after the Dark Dance, and am now filled with love for the Snake girls. I was stunned and delighted to find mention of Musette! I wonder if Minnie knows Musette is still talked about among Snake girls?

CrimsonRose

#191 Post by CrimsonRose » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 am

I'm honestly surprised people didn't catch the Dark Dance Breakup option because it was just like in the first game at initiation

AquaphobicSquid

#192 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:31 am

hanako wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:48 am
Have people caught the scene with Van Brun and Raven? (It has a very limited available period (Nov 11-13), so it might be harder to stumble over.)
I am doing a playthrough of going to the gym every single day just to see as many cut scenes with the birb lady as possible. Though I'm sure there are some outside the gym, that seems to be the focus. I don't even have a second spell in any color x.x every interaction that talks about the ability to do spells like the dueling practice or "helping at the library" makes me feel bad haha I agree with the others who have stated they wish to see her outside her "teaching" faculties... just wandering the grounds going about her business, or others' business, whatever direction her character is going =) I would have thought Barbara would have been seen by Von Brun by now, though maybe she's turning a blind eye seeing as its not really malicious what she's doing. It makes sense that Barbara wouldn't see her since she couldn't even tell who the MC was until after the fact.

Speaking of Barbara, this is just the whim of a lowly tester, but I would love to have more options to show her that I'm training in non-conventional manners too ..at least after she mentions it, since the MC seems to go into school seeing it mostly as practical for the sake of theory more than theory for the sake of practical. The tree climbing at the start of term is a nice unintentional option where you can only gauge what she's impressed with best by how she reacts. It's nice being able to look back at the innocent gestures and see how the other characters must really have thought of them after getting to know them better. Makes repeatability more interesting, which I'm sure is what you were going for ;) enough of my ranting... Thank you for the update!

FantasyFan

#193 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 am

I just played the latest version and let me say that I LOVE Professor Van Brun! I hope she gets a bigger part in the final version - she seems like an awesome character. I also hope they manage to actually freeze the gym to play hockey at some point.

Incidentally, I'm at my wit's end trying to pass the third exam. I tend to play with a balance of different color magic, but no matter what spells I cast I can't get the rune circle in the hidden room to activate. I'm probably being stupid.

perts

#194 Post by perts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Question for those who want to betray Damien but didn't take the opportunity to break up with him at the Dark Dance - What does your endgame look like? That is, when are you planning to dump him? Are you waiting for him to declare that he loves you so you can laugh in his face? Are you planning to ride his route all the way to whatever he might have in mind for the PC and hope that you get a chance to backstab him?

Was it insufficiently clear that the Dark Dance was a break-up option?

With route lock-in coming shortly, I'm trying to feel around to figure out what people THINK they're getting themselves into.
It was clear to me the Dark Dance was a break up option, I just thought it was a bit too soon, both from a have-i-helped-william-enough PC pov and me wanting to see more of that route.
I was surprised there wasn't an option to break up with Damien when he comes to see you in week 13. Both he and the PC admit he's been neglecting them, and the PC has just been warned off by William and Grabiner. A PC who persued their relationship mainly for a bit of fun might decide from Grabiner's info that it's more trouble than it's worth to maintain the relationship and break it off.
A scheming PC whose doing this as a favour to William might break it off then because William has made it clear he doesn't want the PC to persue Damien further thus his job is done, plus Damien's admission that he's been ignoring them creates the perfect opportunity for them to break it off while maintaining their innocent persona and avoiding any blame. Since Damien's reputation for using then losing interest in innocent young things means no one will believe the PC was the one to lead Damien on even if the PC immediating hops to someone else/William, and the PC actually having being ignored makes the idea his playing hard to get backfired/the PC's 'i-cannot-risk-my-tender-heart-being-bruised-further' act more believable to Damien, or at least hard for him to question without coming off like a jerk.
Ofc for a PC who is interested in Damien, Grabiner's warning could have the opposite effect and make him more determined to persue him as a screw you mum and dad teenage rebellion type thing since the PC does come off as resentful of the restrictions his background puts on him at times. and/or for a more trusting PC who tells Damien about the warnings, or tries to break it off and says that why, this is a prime opportunity for Damien to guilt the PC. After all Damien is already concerned with him being a changeling/cambion affecting his relationships (and also utilises that concern to great affect ofc), confirmation that is a tangible factor is sure to have a big affect on him, both how he acts towards the PC and his own mindset.

I need to replay Horse hall so i can really appreciate the characters different dynamics with horse!pc and wolf!pc. A little disappointed there's no grabiner romance this time but I get why, it might start to look a little suspicious/creepy to players if he managed to end up in a relationship with a student in both games. Once is a believable accident twice is a decision etc. Really enjoying the sequel!

IA with Runespoor and CrimsonRose that William seems super manipulative even if he tells himself it's to protect ellen and not because he's not over his ex lol. Like Crimsonrose I found it super fun to make William uncomfortable in the last convo we had with him, picking the 'i wish he liked me more' option and seeing him filled with regret over asking the PC to ditract damien was very satifying, even though in that playthrough the PC was trying to date him. It was so enjoyable I think because of that actually; it starts with William manipulating the PC's/ellen's/damien's relationship, rationalising it with it's to stop damien hurting any youngsters feelings. and what ended up happening, in my playthrough at least, is the PC pretending William's plan resulted in their feelings getting hurt in order to manipulate william. Hm thats very sinister when I put it like that. But even played straight with a PC who genuinely develops feelings for Damien and gets hurt it's a delicious comeuppence for William. Really reaped what he'd sown with his stupid plan lol.
Last edited by perts on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheshjabber

#195 Post by cheshjabber » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:21 pm

I love Professor Van Brun!! Her design is GORGEOUS, and she's just such an endearing character. I sort of get the impression that she's not comfortable/confident in her abilities as a teacher of a non-magical subject or her knowledge of gym/sports activities for non-magical purposes, and wants to become better at it/do more, but every time she tries to do so, she's (inadvertently/unintentionally!) made to feel like she messed up. I love that even though she's clearly frequently discouraged, she still keeps trying!! IT'S SO NICE TO FINALLY HAVE A MORE-GOOD-THAN-NOT ROLE MODEL TEACHER LMAO

If it's in the cards at all, I'd love to see a scene with her & MC if he's co-president with Minnie, because I think their feelings of being railroaded & useless in those circumstances would be really similar.

Which reminds me, I don't know if this is intentional/part of the story arc, but Minnie's behavior towards a co-president MC comes off as super manipulative? Like she suggests the co-presidenting thing in order to disappoint fewer people so she looks better by comparison (either by everyone getting the president(s) they want or being able to make the MC look bad during the speeches), passive aggressively implying that he's all style and no substance in the process, and then acts like she's the sole president and treats the MC like her assistant/secretary. I get that she's passionate about improving things for her classmates & is a perfectionist who feels the need to do everything herself, but the way her dissing/ignoring the MC feels too deliberate to take as anything more than malicious. I loved her in Horse Hall and was looking forward to her having a route in this game, but her route thus far is honestly just not fun at all for me. Which I know is super subjective and not going to be everyone's experience with this character archetype, but the way the MC is treated in her route is just really upsetting for me. ^^;;

The student cameos in the student council before the Dark Dance and the sports club are really cute designs!!
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter