Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#166 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:03 pm

It's a tricky line because it can be pretty annoying to be constantly faced with "ACTUALLY I HATE YOU" in, like, every single dialog option. :lol: (At least, I've always found that extremely annoying as a player, even if it's understandable that a game is trying to give me a way to bail, it feels to me like I'm being nagged or scolded for exploring a plotline that I actively chose in the first place. And remember that not all players will have played Horse Hall...) So for my tastes, there can only be a limited number of logical exit points.

I haven't been assuming that anyone who's gotten to this point with Damien is definitely in love with him - but with route-lock soon, people are going to have to give up other options in order to follow this further, so it's worth talking about that decision.
edited to add: I feel so mean-spirited in my enthusiasm for this plotline, but I was also considering that there also could be a public element to it, like suddenly deciding to shun him and acting perplexed by his attention when he comes up to you in the cafeteria/quad or something.
Okay, Angela, we hear you. :mrgreen:

jellybi

#167 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:14 pm

It's a tricky line because it can be pretty annoying to be constantly faced with "ACTUALLY I HATE YOU" in, like, every single dialog option.
I guess I envisioned it less like having the option to break up in every interaction and more like "Hmm, Damien did an ambiguous thing I might have liked? Am I still playing him?" [Yep lol!] (insincere options and eventual mean breakup option stays) [...Actually he seems okay, I think I do like him for real] (insincere/mean-spirited options go away and you stop being nagged with them).

That might introduce unsustainable complexity into the plotline, but there already are a few checkpoints where people ask you your feelings about Damien that alllmost seemed to be getting at that, except none of the options seemed to truly affirm an insincere 'just messing with him' route, so maybe it could be worked into that somehow?

ParrotWatcher

#168 Post by ParrotWatcher » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:00 pm

I think my MC is more just looking for a bit of fun with him, and at the same time keeping him away from more vulnerable students. He'd keep it going until the end of the year, if possible (unless Damien does something deal-breaking before then, like trying to sacrifice him...), and then say something like "Well, it was fun. See you." He's also imagining that Damien might just get bored of him and be the one who dumps him, in which case, he'd just shrug it off as not worth the effort. Also, part of him is suspecting that Damien might be suspecting his own intentions, and he's wondering if there's a way to use Damien's suspicions against him... Maybe to "reveal" that William set him up to protect Ellen, but now he knows "the real Damien" he's fallen for him, and is so filled with guilt at what that jealous William tricked him into doing...

Also, possibly not for that particular MC, it would be nice to get a chance to explicitely dump Damien for William, rather than just dumping him at the dance, and starting with William later.

Savanime

#169 Post by Savanime » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I totally didn't realize realize the Dark Dance was the option to break-up with Damien. In my head I thought the route would go more along the lines of William keeps checking in on how it's going throughout the first half, and if you play your cards right (poetry club/making it clear that you and Damien are not serious) you can start a romantic relationship with William in the second half. Possibly ending with a very public dramatic breakup between the protag and Damien. Or when you start the relationship with William, he asks you to keep up the act with Damien for a while longer while he convinces other students that Damien messed with to come forward with evidence and testimony in a gambit to get him expelled. Or, on a slightly darker note, in Horse Hall if you refuse to be his for the Initiation at the end of the year Virginia mentions that Damien got expelled for assaulting a freshman boy and I had considered that the new protag might be this boy potentially acting as bait to get Damien caught in the act. I definitely agree with some of the other people that there should be an option to explicitly dump Damien for William.

cheshjabber

#170 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:04 pm

I just had some issues with the conversation with Kyo after becoming co-president - I uploaded the errors that occurred, then tried to ignore them so I could get past the conversation, but at the end of the scene it took me back to the title menu.

I've done this route before and didn't have this issue, and I think the only thing I did differently that would impact this particular scene was taking gym class after joining sports club to meet Kyo before this point.
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

indiiea

#171 Post by indiiea » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Question for those who want to betray Damien but didn't take the opportunity to break up with him at the Dark Dance - What does your endgame look like? That is, when are you planning to dump him? Are you waiting for him to declare that he loves you so you can laugh in his face? Are you planning to ride his route all the way to whatever he might have in mind for the PC and hope that you get a chance to backstab him?

Was it insufficiently clear that the Dark Dance was a break-up option?

With route lock-in coming shortly, I'm trying to feel around to figure out what people THINK they're getting themselves into.
I refused Damien at the dark dance. I was always going for William with that mc, and I was always out to play Damien. I wasn't sure from the start it was the break-up opinion but it soon became apparent, hehe. I picked the choice because I thought it fitting for that one character to break it off there since that's what I was going for. I didn't think I'd have the opinion to do this soo soon. Also, I wasn't sure if I could do so later (?). I'm not sure what would happen later, but I could imagine playing him even longer, I honestly wasn't sure if it would lock me into his route in some way. I'd try both things you mention...

I think it was thanksgiving, where Damien was salty over what I had done. I'm not sure if it will have further consequenses...

hanako
Site Admin

#172 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 pm

PATCH NOTES: (latest version 0.5.31.1)

* New teacher and new gym/sports scenes added
* Some sprite adjustments for Raven
* Current-day indicator added in the diary (placeholder)
* Some adjustments to Flirty dialog to be a little less het-focused
* No longer enter the dungeon on top of the up stairs when you enter it
on week3 after having already entered.
* Minor dialog fixes
* Wing-crop adjustments.
* Better error-reporting for serialisation bugs that mess up saves
after monsters move in the dungeon (it's still broken, we're still
working on it)
* No longer return to the main menu on Oct 12 if you knew Kyo liked Minnie
(still need to fix fade errors)
* No longer crash when loading dungeon timers with no callback.
* Pulled out broken atmosphere diffusion code that wasn't actually being used.
This should fix some save warnings and crashes related to GloomyAir.
* Should no longer try to teleport Sparkle()s (or other Monster()s) into
niches. That should stop a crash where the sparkle fails to pathfind back
to you.
* Notification when Shield blocks damage.
* Shield now blocks magical status effects from being applied to you.
* Started the spell retargeting framework. This is the underlayer for Reflect,
Ground Spell, and some Shield effects.
* You can now only Shield yourself.
* You can no longer Push and Force Push yourself when shielded.
* Slow no longer applied twice.
* No longer crash loading saves made with the diary up on Sunday.
* Dialog box falls out on transition into week3 dungeon (reentry)
* Transition between pre-roll gym events and Exercising... smoothed out,
music change moved after the decision whether or not to call an event.

hanako
Site Admin

#173 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Say hello to our first new Kickstarter character!

Opinions and theories about her welcome, as I am still getting the hang of writing her, so your feedback is helpful in figuring out whether what I'm doing is giving the impression I intended.

Savanime

#174 Post by Savanime » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 am

So far, I really like the new gym teacher. I love her design and the talon/hands are so well integrated in her design. Currently my theory is that She's not actually a gym teacher, she doesn't seem to be knowledgeable about sports or very "teacher" like. I think there's a chance that she could be a spy sent by either the protags parents or another family to keep tabs on him or figure out who he is. This is based purely on the red hair in the trees part and the random presence the protag can never identify. Although, I suppose that can also be explained away as she's a bird brain and out of her element since owls are mostly nocturnal.

ViviFellow

#175 Post by ViviFellow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:10 am

The new teacher's desing is gorgeous, I love it! :D

I don't think she's evil, but maybe she's investigating alone some nights. Her specie is related to a nocturnal bird, so she could see in the darkness and move faster. Maybe she's looking clues about a "missing" student? or she doesn't trust some teachers/students and do patrolls in the halls and gym.

wendymarlowe

#176 Post by wendymarlowe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am

Discovery during the dungeon with the gas:

- blasted the gas --> "the gas looks a bit scuffed"
- blasted it again --> "You blast the gas for 15 damage! / It is defeated. / It is defeated. / Shrapnel strikes you for 2 damage. / Shrapnel strikes the gas for 2 damage."

Spoiler: it was not defeated. Ow.

indiiea

#177 Post by indiiea » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 am

I was excited to see the update! I was currently playing a flirty/sporty character , so I just reloaded a very old save and replayed to get the new scenes.

The new professor's design is very pretty, haha. It's interesting she almost recognizes you..
Everything, the way she doesn't seem adept at sports, leaving studens alone etc. makes me curious how she ended up a teacher. She used to be in a band? I'm curious of her past. Her vibes..makes me feel she's... unsure of her position as a teacher?
She's present when the student's are practicing spells at each other, so I'm curious what is professor von brauns reaction to donald's illusion in the class? We just see Potsdam's reaction like before, but now a second teacher is also present..
MC suspects she might be the flash of red he saw ? spying? but I think her mistaking you for someone (recognizing you) at the start means that she doesn't work for anyone who knows you, but more like she maybe starts to suspect your identity but isn't sure? Maybe has something to do with her past? hmmm.
I like her so far!

Small typo (missing "he") I found while replaying.

I think this might be an error? I focused on green magic and was going to cast "entangle" to get over the abysses, but when I try to cast it in a corner I get this message and couldn't pass the exam.

Small thing @ nov 27th tea with Grabiner, I got 20 merits (star merit check pass on the left) and he says thanks to them I "accomplished all tasks set before you" but I failed last exam (I just did some extra things for merits earlier) so I'm not sure what he says is really true unless you've managed all exams. It just sounds a bit funny when I just failed my exam because I wasn't able to cast the spell and he recently was caling me a disappointment and all that he says when you fail.

MegaZeroX

#178 Post by MegaZeroX » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 am

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Question for those who want to betray Damien but didn't take the opportunity to break up with him at the Dark Dance - What does your endgame look like? That is, when are you planning to dump him? Are you waiting for him to declare that he loves you so you can laugh in his face? Are you planning to ride his route all the way to whatever he might have in mind for the PC and hope that you get a chance to backstab him?

Was it insufficiently clear that the Dark Dance was a break-up option?

With route lock-in coming shortly, I'm trying to feel around to figure out what people THINK they're getting themselves into.
For me, my intentions would be to either publicly humiliate Damien somehow at the May Day ball, or set a trap if he tries to kill Gary Stu like he did Mary Su by either telling a professor or using his knowledge of the Other World to turn the tables on Damien

CrimsonRose

#179 Post by CrimsonRose » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 am

I've played a few times now and I love the interactions with Grabbiner, I wish there were more chances to interact with him. I also was hoping that maybe we could have a way to not be kinda stupid when going for him, like it just feels wrong to select some of these positive choices because it sounds like you fail at the game you started yourself. "I like him" and the "I think he likes me too" just feel so obviously wrong with our character behaving the way he has to this point, like nothing has happened beyond his usual shenanigans that you were warned about, why would you think he liked you, especially when you are in the middle of tricking him. I do love making William visibly uncomfortable though. I don't know why I hate William so much other than I feel like William is super manipulative but in the super annoying "I'm doing this to protect everyone so it's ok and I've done nothing wrong" way that is frankly worse than anything Damien has pulled so far and in horse hall. I love Donald and I wish he was an option, he's much more of an interesting than William to me and was my favorite route in Horse Hall. I'm so excited to be able to go on Luke's route he's so adorable and I love how flustered we can make him. I also am curious about how that getting Damien to help you woo William is gonna play out, maybe an alternative way to get closer to Damien? I highly doubt it'll go over well when William figures it out.

hanako
Site Admin

#180 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:48 am

Have people caught the scene with Van Brun and Raven? (It has a very limited available period (Nov 11-13), so it might be harder to stumble over.)