Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
Lucy

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#151 Post by Lucy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:09 am

In late September (the weekend before the first exam), I tried to go to the dungeons to practice and it wasn't working. It told me I entered the dungeon, and after that it immediately said "I escaped the dungeon!" without me actually being able to walk around in the dungeons.

Lucy

#152 Post by Lucy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 am

Also I'm having trouble saving games again, I've uploaded the error message that I got (something about NoneType is not iterable)

touchandgo

#153 Post by touchandgo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:32 am

ParrotWatcher wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:52 am
touchandgo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:54 am
I've done Spirit Echoes, but all it shows me is the students who originally put it down and no info on what to do next. Some people mentioned they saw Ellen interacting with it?
It's never confirmed that the character seen with Spirit Echoes is Ellen, but it seems a reasonable assumption to make. And you don't need any other spells after that; just examine the floor.
Ah! Jeez, I finally get it now. I didn't realise I had to examine it again. I feel like an idiot. I thought, like some of the wall writing, it was the original student/teacher creating the ruin I was watching, not another student solving the puzzle. The writing wasn't really clear (It just stated they were 'tracing out a complicated pattern'), or I'm just stupid. Either way, I never thought to re-examine it afterwards.

arcturuse

#154 Post by arcturuse » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:46 pm

hanako wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm
Big post ! Here's a vague list of what we think the current status of all the spells is. Some things we know do not work.

Code: Select all

Red:

Believed to work:

Breeze
    Push
    Spark
    Slash
    Blast
    Crush  

Partially working:

Energise
    Flames
    Freeze
    Lightning
    Force Push

Known broken:

Shockwave

Blue:

Believed to work:

Light
    Silence
    Truesight
    Farsight
    Teleport Other
    Teleport Self
    Darkness

Partially working:

Disrupt
    Disperse
    Reflect
    Shield

Known broken:

Cloak

Green:

Believed to work:

Diagnosis
    Track Scent
    Heal
    Boost Strength
    Sicken
    Entangle
    Drain Life
    Thick Hide

Partially working:

Slow
    Blind
    Regenerate

Known broken:

Stagger

Black:

Believed to work:

Inspect
    Inscribe
    Trigger
    Detect Charm
    Open
    Shape Stone
    Dispel Object
    Dig

Partially working:

Seal
    Fracture

Known broken:

Enchant Object
    Diamond

White:

Believed to work:

Spirit Sense
    Empathy
    Communication
    Awareness
    Spirit Echoes
    Tap the Flow
    Find Spirits

Partially working:

Distraction
    Call
    Foresight
    Ward

Known broken:

Fear

Mixed:

Believed to work:

Telepyre
    Drain Magic
    Long Jump
    Transfer Charm
    Televoke
    Force Wall

Partially working:

Mindstorm
    Ground Spell
    Anti Magic Field
    Poison
    Sleep
    Sticky Feet
    Scramble Senses
    Drain Charm
    Sacrifice

Known broken:

Fire Trap
    Wrong Way
    Farspeak
    Seeker Sting
    Mind Wall

The Fear spell was working fine for me yesterday when I cast it at the training dummy? Although I'm not sure if it's because you've solved the issues with some of the broken spells;;;

Also I really appreciate the little descriptions in lessons before learning a new spell,,, makes me feel like I'm actually taking a class and they were really helpful to know what the spells could be used for instead of just trying out the spells during exam like in HH. Especially loved when Potsdam was teaching Fear and had the whole class run out of the classroom lol

indiiea

#155 Post by indiiea » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Okay, so I am at around 10-12th November, just started playing using the itch app so latest version. Loaded my older save, could save and play, then after I'd gone to the dungeon on a weekend the game just crashed when I tried saving and I sent crash reports. I tried loading an older save and went to the mall. I could save just fine after that. Does it have something to do with the dungeons?

AquaphobicSquid

#156 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 pm

I'm sure you know of these glitches admin person, but I figured data is data. I'll bold my tips to fellow testers that I've stumbled upon; btw people who can't figure out how to post, go to the welcome thread on the root-directory board
V0.5.25
~~~General Gameplay~~~
The save feature seems to not want to make up its mind on what to put as the default name individual saves, even if you’re saving and loading from the same save over and over. Not really an issue, just pointing it out if you get tired of fixing other code.
A cheap trick and probably an obvious one: saving right before each class will let you load until you get the max (default 2) information from a lesson. If you have the save bug later described, trying to save one click after it tells you how much information/stress you’ve received will allow you to rollback to reroll what you get.

~~~Exams~~~
Since this seems to be a common-ish problem, basic mechanic rundown: The spell inspection does not have the same function as "examine". Inspection reveals secrets about the object/surface while "examine" is more a general description and physical interaction with known secrets.

~~~Dungeons~~~
Lucy wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 am
Also I'm having trouble saving games again, I've uploaded the error message that I got (something about NoneType is not iterable)
indiiea wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:28 pm
Okay, so I am at around 10-12th November, just started playing using the itch app so latest version. Loaded my older save, could save and play, then after I'd gone to the dungeon on a weekend the game just crashed when I tried saving and I sent crash reports. I tried loading an older save and went to the mall. I could save just fine after that. Does it have something to do with the dungeons?
Fellow tester frens, this seems to be a glitch that happens whenever entering dungeons for recreation rather than exams.

Dear coders, any time the dungeon is visited outside of exams, save errors occur for the next week at least. I was trying to figure out Barbora's romance line, so I didn't really test much on duration of each glitch, just going back whenever she appeared at the entrance (that being said, I can't wait to see how that plays out when the game is more complete). Only once in this I've had the glitch someone else mentioned recently where simply entering the dungeon lead to it immediately throwing you back out, but it wasn't during the first visit like they mentioned.
For testers that wish to pass through the above glitch of not being able to save, when you save it gives you the option to rollback to the last pausing point in text/scenes. Keep rolling back immediately and you can roll back the last major decision ...usually, I haven't figured out what it stops you at yet. It's tedious, but at least you can take back choices while exploring what the dungeons do. I don't know when it starts allowing you to save again either, but from what I can tell it's after the first spell of the next exam ...or after the next Saturday. I honestly haven't worked on not going back into the dungeons so I don't know where one glitch stops and the other begins sometimes.

hanako
Site Admin

#157 Post by hanako » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 pm

I believe the save glitch has to do with the change to move-reporting, which makes it much more likely in the practice dungeons where the Training Dummy may be moving around. We're working on it.

AquaphobicSquid

#158 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Wakuseino wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 am
Minnie wants to help everyone so much, she's so precious I can't not spend time with her. My lazy, scheming co-president protag is just constantly sighing about how the two people he's closest to (Minnie and Ellen), are chronic overworkers that need to be told when to take a break.

...I'm honestly kind of curious what determines the lazy profile, since one would think that doing the study club, running for president, and joining a secret society would mean that they're not that lazy, but... I honestly kind of love that. "Oh I just want to live a peaceful life where I don't need to do anything... What's that? You need me to do something? Siiiigh, sure I'll do it. I'm totally unwilling to do it, really! I'll get on it right away!"
I'm gonna white out my response just cause it's kinda spoiley at looking into how the coding works too closely that could ruin immersion :3 since you asked though....
From what I can tell, the most general personality traits are developed during the first few interaction choices with Grabby and then other tweaker choices to personality are sprinkled throughout the rest of the game. If you don't want lazy or manipulative to show up as often, don't pick "I want an easy ride" or "american's like jocks" or whatever they were (doing this from memory xD) and avoid lazy/sneaky sounding interaction choices in general. Sorry if I'm responding after you've already found out for yourself, I didn't see a response to you yet.

Savanime

#159 Post by Savanime » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 am

I just finished playing through my first run through, and so far I love it! I didn't really attempt to go for any one character, so I ended up becoming co-presidents, trying to seduce Damien, and joining William's poetry club. I'm lowkey hoping that I can betray Damien to get on William's story I love the feature where their's popups to show you why you're getting a certain line of dialogue or if you missed an optional thing. I'm super happy that all of the additional character tiers got backed because I love the side characters as well. As for the two characters we get to vote on I'm hoping Jacob and Corrine get picked because of their connections to Minnie and the poetry club respectively. I also think that Blaise would be an amazing choice, but that's just because I find em so cute. The UI is great. The only problem I've run into is the save glitch, but it look's like that's already been well documented and it did happen the week after going into a test dungeon.

AquaphobicSquid

#160 Post by AquaphobicSquid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 am

hanako wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 pm
I believe the save glitch has to do with the change to move-reporting, which makes it much more likely in the practice dungeons where the Training Dummy may be moving around. We're working on it.
What I've tried seems to be consistent with this. Every time I kill all the dummies with something like Blast/Sicken or have them jump in pits, I don't get the error. Anytime I try disabling them without killing such as with Entangle or put them in Darkness so they won't move around, it still gets the error. Hopefully the answer is a simple "KillAllCreatures" in the dungeon when leaving, but knowing coding it won't be. Good luck! ...the spirit from the first exam also triggers this issue unless it's killed or "used", but weirdly the training dummy from the first dungeon doesn't always cause it. Or at least it didn't when I left immediately. Perhaps it has to see you to start its obnoxiousness?

hanako
Site Admin

#161 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Question for those who want to betray Damien but didn't take the opportunity to break up with him at the Dark Dance - What does your endgame look like? That is, when are you planning to dump him? Are you waiting for him to declare that he loves you so you can laugh in his face? Are you planning to ride his route all the way to whatever he might have in mind for the PC and hope that you get a chance to backstab him?

Was it insufficiently clear that the Dark Dance was a break-up option?

With route lock-in coming shortly, I'm trying to feel around to figure out what people THINK they're getting themselves into.

cheshjabber

#162 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:14 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Question for those who want to betray Damien but didn't take the opportunity to break up with him at the Dark Dance - What does your endgame look like? That is, when are you planning to dump him? Are you waiting for him to declare that he loves you so you can laugh in his face? Are you planning to ride his route all the way to whatever he might have in mind for the PC and hope that you get a chance to backstab him?

With route lock-in coming shortly, I'm trying to feel around to figure out what people THINK they're getting themselves into.
Oooo, I did not realize that the Dark Dance was a break-up option! I'll have to try that on my next playthrough! :lol:

Given that one of the dialogue possibilities for the MC is to comment to William that he doesn't have any better prospects right now, I was picturing that when a better prospect does come along/he locks in to a different route, he could just break up with Damien then. And yeah, not gonna lie, I'd love to get to the finale of Damien's grand plan only to go "nah lol" and leave Damien with no time to find another option before the end of the school year... although laughing in his face when he declares he loves the MC would also be fun! 8)
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

cheshjabber

#163 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Ahhh, Damien's reaction to being dumped was so satisfying! xD

I'm specializing in White Magic this playthrough, and it occurred to me that over Thanksgiving break, when MC senses someone watching him, if he has high enough White Magic he could cast Spirit Echoes or Find Spirits instead of Spirit Sense - they'd give him more information, after all. And I think it would make more sense, especially for a Scheming MC, to do that instead?
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

jellybi

#164 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:07 pm

I was definitely waiting for a sign that A) Damien had gotten invested enough to be taken aback by a breakup, and B) The breakup option itself was intended, well, puntively, for lack of a better word. I didn't recognize the Dark Dance as a breakup opportunity (I can go back to read it and see if I missed an obvious sign). I think maybe some periodic self reflection on the part of MC that lets you affirm whether or not you're sincerely interested in Damien might be helpful, as well as the breakup option itself being flagged a bit more obviously like "tell Damien you were never interested" or similar, rather than leaving it to guesswork what the tone might be (for example, MC might tell Damien they're not feeling a spark but thanks for the good times... or just complain that he was playing hot and cold and say they'd rather not continue unless he's going to treat them better... or something, like it's hard to know how a choice will play out unless the tone is made explicit in the decision tree).

To me the Damien story seemed to very quickly blur into an assumption that you were dating him for real (perhaps because you expected the player to go 'lol JK' quite early on if they intended to) which made it difficult to parse the intent of the options. It would be useful to have a running "option 3" throughout the relationship that was phrased in a way that made it clear the game knew you were being insincere. I also think that, maybe because of the drama of how things with Damien and the MC end in the first game, a part of me WAS hoping to ride it to the end so that I could undermine whatever betrayal HE was planning with one of my own. Perhaps I got a little carried away, though, haha!

edited to add: I feel so mean-spirited in my enthusiasm for this plotline, but I was also considering that there also could be a public element to it, like suddenly deciding to shun him and acting perplexed by his attention when he comes up to you in the cafeteria/quad or something.

jellybi

#165 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 pm

I feel like I should also clarify that I think it's great that there's also a "date Damien for real" route or even the option to change your mind midway through and that seems SO HARD to write without continuity errors. I totally want to do both "date for real" and "date for evil vengeance" on separate playthroughs, but I think I just wanted the game to be a bit clearer that I hadn't accidentally scrapped my Evil Vengeance play with a mistaken decision tree selection.