Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
surreal_chameleon

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#91 Post by surreal_chameleon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 pm

The game will crash after exiting the first dungeon if you have the transitions turned off.

waff1ez

#92 Post by waff1ez » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:16 pm

hanako wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 am
vague silly curiosity: What was people's preferred way to deal with the pie?
So far I feel my preferred way is to go for Ellen herself, I tried giving it to her but I didn't like that way much. I teleported it away the next time and I really think its my favorite way of doing it so far.

Oki

#93 Post by Oki » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:04 pm

The boulder upon examining normally comes up with weird code! I've had a few crashes but I but reported them. So far just enjoying the game and wanting William and Damien to love me lmao
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

Oki

#94 Post by Oki » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

On the pie note, definitely seducing Damien is my favorite, because it doesn't lend itself to any future victimization of Ellen. That being said, I'm curious about teleporting it away. Keke

Lucy

#95 Post by Lucy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Lucy

#96 Post by Lucy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Really enjoying the story. I'm a big fan of the personality types that subtly affect the game. I love playing as scheming or flirty. I kind of agree with cheshjabber about not really being able to play as a shy/nerdy person but I do understand that such a personality maybe just doesn't fit into Wolf Hall.

2 small suggestions for the user interface: would it be possible to have the in-game date on screen while playing like in Horse Hall? And/or to have a more intuitive way to find the diary (e.g. it could be in the bottom right corner on its own rather than in the menu)?

hanako
Site Admin

#97 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Where would the date go, though? There's no room on the top of the screen, the stat bar already covers it.

ParrotWatcher

#98 Post by ParrotWatcher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

9th November: Just after the date with Damien, he leaves without a kiss, pretty obviously leaving me wanting more, but the MC was confused by it. Would it make sense for a high-scheming MC to see through it? (Or is my scheming just too low?) EDIT: I just had a discussion with William about it, but even so, I think it would be nice for a higher-scheming MC to figure it out on his own.

Regarding the date: Would it at least be possible to highlight the current date in the diary?

Oki

#99 Post by Oki » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Out of curiosity, what is the cut off of the early access game right now? Want to know before I get to into it and feel DISAPPOINTED, hah.

hanako
Site Admin

#100 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 pm

December 13th.

ParrotWatcher

#101 Post by ParrotWatcher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Okay, so after Ellen solved a dungeon by blindfolding herself to get through fake walls, I tried to do the same, using the Darkness spell... and it worked! :shock: I am amazed by the thought that's gone into these things... :lol: EDIT: Also, after copying Ellen's rune use with Spirit Echoes, I got a notification that "The unnamed unit has moved."

As a side note, would it make sense for True Sight to see into adjacent areas of darkness, instead of just out of the current one, or would that make it too powerful?

Lucy

#102 Post by Lucy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Re: the date, I guess the top right box that tells you how much money you have still has some space? Highlighting in the diary would also work!

ParrotWatcher

#103 Post by ParrotWatcher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Selling candles in the mall: beforehand I chose to go window-shopping, and when I get to the candle stall, the text implies that I've just found it, and hadn't helped set it up earlier...

Spiky Caterpillar

0.5.24 changelog

#104 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:51 pm

I've put in a better fix for the call stack bug (files are loaded in alphabetical order, so on Itch on Windows Ren'Py would still think that labels in files loaded before the file with the fix were under lib/windows-i686.). The rest of the saves which previously loaded with a call stack error should load properly now; as before, any save that was RE-saved after loading with a call stack error is corrupt.

Crash fixes:
No longer crash casting Track Scent in exam3 fixed.
No longer crash when talking to Suki when you go to see how Barbara is after the Dark Dance and you weren't running for President.
No longer crash when Energising living targets.
No longer divide by zero when showing the autoplay indicator.
No longer crash exiting the dungeon with transitions turned off.

Other loadsave changes:
Fixed problems with the week9_raven_library flag and the inscription field.
Tracking what versions a given save has been played in should be more reliable (which will help us figure out when a bug is likely to related to a very old alpha). Old saves may give a warning complaining that versions_played_in is not a set; this warning is harmless and will disappear when the game is re-saved.
Fixed a bug where it would whine about temporal inconsistency loading saves that were made when you've just entered the dungeon and haven't done anything.
Removed some unused code, which might fix a hard-to-replicate crash related to GloomyAir serialization.

Other fixes:
Boulders and piles of rocks now have descriptions when examined.
Turning transitions off now turns off dungeon walking animations and at least some star-fades when characters show up. (There may still be transitions where turning transitions off doesn't work)
No longer duplicate the post-Dark Dance Barbara event in the dungeon and the Raven event in the library.

New features:
There's now an option to adjust the textbox brightness in video prefs.
There's also now a wing crop control (which is not yet completely effective, since we're still thinking about how we want to handle it for other winged characters)

TrinityKarose

#105 Post by TrinityKarose » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm

hanako wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 am
vague silly curiosity: What was people's preferred way to deal with the pie?
I had my MC lie and pretend the pie was a peace offering from Wolf Hall, to make up for Donald dropping Jirsey dung in front of their door. The reaction from Damien when he tried to use the “but I got you presents!” excuse to win Ellen over later at the play was 👌*chef’s kiss*