Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
cheshjabber

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#46 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 pm

The screen passed too quickly for me to get a screenshot (I'm a compulsive clicker lol), but I just had a weekend study failure with a stress of only 9 beforehand. It was on September 22nd, studying alone in the library.

Editing instead of making a new post to avoid spamming the forum: Just took the first exam with enough smarts to talk to the spirit, and after MC asked it to show the way, the sparkle just disappeared off the screen with no accompanying text box. I know a similar bug has been reported before, but I'm not sure if that was the exact same bug or not.

Editing YET AGAIN because I then cast inspect on the floor and got this (the sparkle disappeared again when I pushed the button):

(Sorry if I'm being a little spammy, I've just been so hype for Wolf Hall so I think I might be getting a little carried away... ^^;;)
Last edited by cheshjabber on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hi, I'm Chesh. They/them pronouns, please.

Magical Diary Chibis & Icons

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

jellybi

#47 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Request:
After managing to beat the dungeons, it occurred to me you get a more interesting scene from failure than from success. The failure sequences involve being interrogated about your choices, but the success sequence is the same or similar each time and even a little dismissive, "oh good job, anyway another student needs something," and took the wind out of me "FINALLY GOT IT" sails a bit. Perhaps the stock reactions could be a little more effusive or could be customized to the solution you found? But I also understand wanting to save the custom options for the REALLY unique solutions. I do think there should be a different success dialogue for each unique exam if there isn't already (I didn't take note of whether they were exactly the same or just similar).

hanako
Site Admin

#48 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:39 pm

cheshjabber wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 pm
The screen passed too quickly for me to get a screenshot (I'm a compulsive clicker lol), but I just had a weekend study failure with a stress of only 9 beforehand. It was on September 22nd, studying alone in the library.

Editing instead of making a new post to avoid spamming the forum: Just took the first exam with enough smarts to talk to the spirit, and after MC asked it to show the way, the sparkle just disappeared off the screen with no accompanying text box. I know a similar bug has been reported before, but I'm not sure if that was the exact same bug or not. :lol:
(While I do want to get a text display on the sparkle moving to make it more clear, if you rotate to face different directions you may be able to see where it's gone in order to follow it. Or were you already in the room where it would disappear? Not quite clear which outcome you're reporting.)
Editing YET AGAIN because I then cast inspect on the floor and got this:

(Sorry if I'm being a little spammy, I've just been so hype for Wolf Hall so I think I might be getting a little carried away... ^^;;)
Not sure what the bug is in this case. Had it previously gone down and was now coming back up?

Sorry, I'm juggling five things at the same time right now so I may be missing the obvious. :)

cheshjabber

#49 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 pm

hanako wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:39 pm
(While I do want to get a text display on the sparkle moving to make it more clear, if you rotate to face different directions you may be able to see where it's gone in order to follow it. Or were you already in the room where it would disappear? Not quite clear which outcome you're reporting.)
Oh, from reading the earlier posts in the thread about this, I thought the sparkle was supposed to go down to the floor to indicate the button there? I didn't think to turn and look around at all, but I was standing in the square facing the wall with the hidden door with the wall with the vines to my right.

Not sure what the bug is in this case. Had it previously gone down and was now coming back up?

Sorry, I'm juggling five things at the same time right now so I may be missing the obvious. :)
It had previously completely disappeared from the previous screen with no text box indicating where it had gone, so I wasn't sure where it had come from or how it had moved. In hindsight, it might have moved left (without a "the sparkle moved" notification), then in this screenshot it came back with a notification this time, which is why it looked weird to me, maybe. (I haven't done any kind of test-playing before, so sorry if my feedback is kinda muddled, lol.)

No worries! Sorry to keep tossing more balls to juggle at you, that might just be dust bunnies I have mistaken for balls! :lol:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

hanako
Site Admin

#50 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Your feedback's fine I'm just trying to work out exactly what happened, thus fiddly questions. :)

Also, we HOPEFULLY have a fix in the pipeline that will make savegames stop breaking. Which should make everyone's testing lives a lot easier!

jellybi

#51 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Another request (sorry I'm so spammy, I love the game AND am full of opinions):
I love using the Skip feature to replay to try different options, but I find that it will automatically stop at decision trees and not on the question that populates the decisions. So even if I've been there before, I might end up stopping at some choices like "Okay" "Bad" or "Good" and not be able to remember the context for what I'm being asked to answer. I'm not sure if it's even feasible to fix that if it relies on an automated skip feature, but it would be really helpful have fast forward stop on the question that popped the choices, and not the choices themselves.

Alternately I could be missing a "back up 1 screen" option if it exists.

Spiky Caterpillar

#52 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Saves which previously complained about discarding labels in lib/windows-i686/ will now load correctly. (The underlying problem was that apparently when you start the game from Itch on Windows it changes to lib/windows-i686/, thinks all files live there, and then choked on load because my code was just smart enough to realize that the files aren't supposed to be in the folder they weren't actually in...)

Note that this will not fix saves where you loaded, got a warning about discarded labels, and then saved again.

Nothing else has been fixed in this patch, we wanted to get the save fix out quickly.

Spiky Caterpillar

#53 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 pm

jellybi wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm
The page up key and the mouse wheel both allow you to roll back to prior screens (and even to change decisions if you clicked the wrong button!) in normal play.

In the dungeon they allow you to view prior text but not to change things.

cheshjabber

#54 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:13 pm

jellybi wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Another request (sorry I'm so spammy, I love the game AND am full of opinions):
I love using the Skip feature to replay to try different options, but I find that it will automatically stop at decision trees and not on the question that populates the decisions. So even if I've been there before, I might end up stopping at some choices like "Okay" "Bad" or "Good" and not be able to remember the context for what I'm being asked to answer. I'm not sure if it's even feasible to fix that if it relies on an automated skip feature, but it would be really helpful have fast forward stop on the question that popped the choices, and not the choices themselves.

Seconding all of this!! lol

Also, I have my skips set up to show only new text, but I think it's been skipping text I haven't seen before, because I've altered my personality each time and it's skipping over MC's personality-based dialogue, which I assume is different between, say, flirty and scheming. :lol:
The page up key and the mouse wheel both allow you to roll back to prior screens (and even to change decisions if you clicked the wrong button!) in normal play.

In the dungeon they allow you to view prior text but not to change things.
THAT IS VERY GOOD TO KNOW THANK YOU :shock:

Also also, equipped items in the inventory screen can cover some of the descriptive text at the bottom when using a windowed game:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

jellybi

#55 Post by jellybi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:13 pm

:o Awesome, thanks!

cheshjabber

#56 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm

I know the error with examining the boulder has been reported already, but thought I'd toss this out here too. :)

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

cheshjabber

#57 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

I think someone already mentioned this, but this is the second weekend in a row this scene has triggered with Barbara. :lol:

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

cheshjabber

#58 Post by cheshjabber » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:13 pm

First weekend after Thanksgiving break, Barbara's sprite is in the corner instead of the center. Though that might be because she's supposed to be sitting on the floor? ^^;

You can also find me on:
deviantArt
tumblr
Twitter

hanako
Site Admin

#59 Post by hanako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:19 pm

(iirc yes it's because she's supposed to be sitting)

waff1ez

#60 Post by waff1ez » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm

I loved the first couple months so far! I played with a lot of blue investment and had tons of fun. I did a couple runs, so a couple questions. Does becoming Co-President make the Barbara route cut off? I would go to the dungeons and she'd brush me off. Also is taking Minne to the play even possible? Anyone onto a few notes bout whats broken.

Dungeon is pretty glitchy as I think you know, reloading and playing with saves there can break somethings in minor ways. Nothing of huge note however. I've also encountered problems when I get to high levels in magics of any given type. The 80 and 100 spells seem to end in fatal errors at time. I've gotten them from getting charms early and hard focusing the specific magic schools (Tip- if you aren't going for minnie you can take the advance out and not buy anything resulting in you having money to buy a charm and a fancy wand, I do this when I'm not gunning for minnie). I can't think of any other particular glaring issues, I just can't wait for the next update!
Last edited by waff1ez on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.