Magical Diary: Wolf Hall (Early development thread)

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
FantasyFan

Re: Magical Diary: Wolf Hall

#61 Post by FantasyFan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Yay!

hanako
Site Admin

#62 Post by hanako » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Still vaguely debating whether I should stick to the exam schedule from the first game or adjust things to add a test for November.

Which would lose the evil 'Welcome back from break HAVE A SURPRISE EXAM' effect, but space the tests slightly better.

Oki

#63 Post by Oki » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 pm

hanako wrote:Still vaguely debating whether I should stick to the exam schedule from the first game or adjust things to add a test for November.

Which would lose the evil 'Welcome back from break HAVE A SURPRISE EXAM' effect, but space the tests slightly better.
Since it's technically the same year but 'alternate' wouldn't it be better to keep it the same? It would be a fun easter egg for those of us who played the first, I think. And everyone new would still be surprised!
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#64 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Probably, although the exams are already different anyway (as it wouldn't be much fun to play the exact same puzzles) so.

MillaMaxwell

#65 Post by MillaMaxwell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 pm

In that case, you might as well change the spacing of the exams to fit whatever you think would be best for the story and/or gameplay. I mean, not everything will be the same anyway because the actual puzzles are different, so maybe the teachers decided to change around their exam schedule to better fit which puzzles they expect the students to be able to solve at a given time of year?

Foelhe

#66 Post by Foelhe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 am

Personally I'd miss the curveball, but I also think long-term pacing and game balance is more important in the long run.

hanako
Site Admin

#67 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:03 pm

What I'm considering doing is moving the January exam to be on the Monday rather than the Friday of the first week back so it would be a different surprise but still unexpected.

hanako
Site Admin

#68 Post by hanako » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Currently at the point in November where Ellen gets the Bad News and Damien takes his favorite freshman on a dinner date. (Both things that work a bit differently now of course.)

crystalsilverwood

#69 Post by crystalsilverwood » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Should be intriguing to see what the differences are once the game comes out. Can't wait!

hanako
Site Admin

#70 Post by hanako » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm

FantasyFan

#71 Post by FantasyFan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Suki dressed as a superhero - I'm interested!

Staldice

#72 Post by Staldice » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm

hanako wrote:A screenshot I leaked elsewhere:
http://hanakogames.tumblr.com/post/1732 ... fuse-about
That's a really intriguing screenshot! Interesting new art style, too! ^^

But I'm afraid there is one other thing. You haven't been broadening your magical palette as much as you could be. I know you're capable of more than this, Hanako... :wink:

hanako
Site Admin

#73 Post by hanako » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Can't remember if I ever showed you guys this, but WAY back all those years ago before we changed artists for the characters, we did start making full sprites for some characters who had only used the character-generator in the first game. This was one of Minnie's poses in that original style:

Obviously not quite what she looks like now that we've changed artists, but might interest someone.

Staldice

#74 Post by Staldice » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 am

That image of Minnie makes me wonder what inspires your art direction between games, actually. Do you have an artistic preference for characters, or do you tend to adopt the style of whoever's drawing it at the time? Take the differences between Suki from Horse Hall, and what we've seen of Wolf Hall, where you seem to have gone drastically more "western" and realistic in the style.

On a side note, the house-themed clasp/slide is a cute addition to the uniform :D

hanako
Site Admin

#75 Post by hanako » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am

a lot of the time it's mostly down to "who's available" because I don't have a staff artist. :)

While I appreciated the work the original Horse Hall artist did, I know it was met with mixed reactions by many players. I wanted to give her the chance to carry on with future games anyway because I felt like it would be wrong to just drop her, but her style was shifting further and further in a direction I didn't really like, and she was pretty clearly not interested in the project - communications got slower and slower until eventually I offered to call the whole thing off and she instantly agreed.

I tried out a few different artists, while incorporating the feedback from the first game (the robes, for example, I felt were a little plain and heavy in the first game which made them not much fun to cosplay, so I figured if we were changing artists we might as well consider some style tweaks). This was someone's test version of Minnie, which I didn't think fit the game so we didn't go forward with that artist.

Unfortunately the Wolf Hall sprites were made YEARS ago by an artist I haven't been in contact with in ages, so I may have troubles when it comes to trying to do CGs, if I can't reach her!