Magical Diary: Wolf Hall (Early development thread)

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
phoenixgirl

Re: Magical Diary: Wolf Hall

#46 Post by phoenixgirl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 pm

What a totally awesome screenshot. :D
Please help and support me here.

FantasyFan

#47 Post by FantasyFan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Iris Academy looks so pretty at night!

ThePokeGirl

#48 Post by ThePokeGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

Ah, I love it! Looks so pretty! :D

cae

#49 Post by cae » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:26 am

That screenshot is reason enough for me to be excited. I'm so happy you're working on a second game for Magical Diary!!

As for PC I like the idea of stonewalling someone like Angela, just because she's a jerk. Otherwise, I don't really have any dislike for the initiation process.

Based off of your descriptions of WolfPC, it sounds like he's already part of the magical community. Will we also be getting to see scenarios where we can use magic we've learned more often? And will he come with some spells that he already knows at the beginning of the year?

If we could choose what kind of magic he's got an affinity for on our own, a la 'Choose your room' in Tokimeki Memorial style, that'd be pretty neat I think. Starting with a little more base magic in one area and having penalties the others. "Black magic 15, all others 10" or something similar

hanako
Site Admin

#50 Post by hanako » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 pm

No, the PC starts with 0 skill points in the various magics; that's important so that each spell can be explained to the player as it's unlocked (since we have scenes for learning spells now).

Because of his background, though, he does start with more information about certain subjects than a starting player would have, and possibly more than many Horse Hall players. Some of that will be explained when necessary, but otherwise, there is an in-game codex/glossary that will provide a little bit of information on Things The PC Already Knows.

He may also have previously met or known about some of the people at Iris Academy in ways that Mary Sue never would have. In particular, his relationship with Grabiner is very different than the Horse Hall PC's...

crystalsilverwood

#51 Post by crystalsilverwood » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:09 pm

hmmm, sounds intriguing.....

hanako
Site Admin

#52 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 pm

a shot of the current Diary screen

FantasyFan

#53 Post by FantasyFan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Okay, my curiosity has been stimulated about what the "midnight mystery" is.

Staldice

#54 Post by Staldice » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 pm

I have to say, the sleeker design you've got going for the GUI is really working in your favour! Also, having a handy codex tab on hand is probably a good thing, especially given there's information your character knows that you don't. I assume each entry is "unlocked" when you learn about it through some means? (i.e. learning a certain amount of White Magic might prompt your teacher to explain the Otherworld, adding it as an entry, and such).

I'm seriously looking forward to how much bigger this game seems to be :D

hanako
Site Admin

#55 Post by hanako » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Because I live to overcomplicate things, the PC in this game has several "personality options". The choices you make early on will push you into one of these types, and now and then, this affects things that the PC says on his own, or changes the choices you have available. It doesn't make a HUGE difference, it's not like you get a whole new route because of it, it just changes the flavor a little to make your character more consistent and more 'yours'.

Which also means that lots of scenes have extra dialog in them that I won't see until like the fourth-or-more time I've playtested it so AAAAGH. And no, we're not going to be open for public testing for a while yet. :lol:

FantasyFan

#56 Post by FantasyFan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:53 pm

I LOVE that personality option idea.

crystalsilverwood

#57 Post by crystalsilverwood » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:51 pm

yeah, that does sound really cool

MillaMaxwell

#58 Post by MillaMaxwell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:00 am

That sounds amazing! I can imagine it would be a nightmare to bug test, but I can definitely see how it could make the character feel a lot more subtly customized to the player.

daenerys_raine

#59 Post by daenerys_raine » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 am

So glad this game is still being developed, I'll just be over here waiting patiently :mrgreen:

hanako
Site Admin

#60 Post by hanako » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Intentionally old-low-res screenshot because this is PLACEHOLDER ART (I haven't gotten the real dungeon textures yet) and if you peer closely there's a lot of obvious debug happening, but a tiny hint of dungeon development being done: