Magical Diary: Wolf Hall (Early development thread)

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
Foelhe

Re: Magical Diary: Wolf Hall

#91 Post by Foelhe » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 am

One hundred percent agree with Tomo-chan. I'm really not a fan of romances where one person is in charge most of the time, which is one of many reasons the whole seme/uke thing in yaoi gives me hives. Definitely want things to feel balanced between William and Gary Stu, like they're both equals in the relationship.

Also, I like the fact that William is an all-around great guy so I don't want to go too far off that, but it would be great if we could see him admit to some personal flaws, to show he trusts us enough to let his guard down around us. That might be a given, but I might as well mention it.

MillaMaxwell

#92 Post by MillaMaxwell » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

I really like how William appears to be a nice, kind, reliable person, but he's also much more vulnerable than many of Mary Sue's peers realize when they just see him as the "perfect" older brother/mentor character. I'd like to see him still be the kind and reliable guy he presents himself as, but instead of having a "dark side," maybe have like trust issues or something like that that you can help him overcome during the relationship. I agree that the relationship definitely should be more equal than William leading and Gary Stu following and I think something like that could be nice to play.

Hoosha

#93 Post by Hoosha » Fri May 18, 2018 8:29 pm

i like william's older brother personality. kind, reliable, likes to tease u a little, mature.

Oki

#94 Post by Oki » Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 pm

hanako wrote:I'm interested in hearing from people who want to date William - provided that you acknowledge that any comments or suggestions you make may or may not have any effect on what actually gets written. (Obviously I know a lot more about what's going on than you do so suggestions are likely to be way off-base and therefore probably not going to work in the game as it is. Don't say anything if you'll be upset at your suggestions being used OR not being used. It's not stealing if you offered it to me!)

With that in mind, if you're a William fan, what sorts of things do you like about him? What would you like to do with him?
I'm interested in seeing his personality get to shine. He's very nurturing as a person and I wonder sometimes if he doesn't need to be nurtured himself, understood, and given compassion. Out of all the cast I definitely read kindness off of him the most- and I want to see other feelings from him too.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

TsuQ

#95 Post by TsuQ » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm very curious as to how the dungeon puzzles were developed in the first game. It seems to me like you could start with a disjunction of different possible stats the player could need, or an idea for an obstacle to overcome, or the set of spells you might expect to have access to. What was your approach look like? Did you make use of the ability to choose when players learn different spells and what they are to design the dungeons in the first game? Does having a set spellbook making developing new dungeons easier, or more difficult in this new game - or are you taking the approach that different people would choose to learn different spells?

Looking forward to the new game, whenever it appears =]

-Steve

hanako
Site Admin

#96 Post by hanako » Sat May 26, 2018 2:22 pm

It's a lot of back and forth really.

The spells in the first game were largely developed along a logical theory of magic rather than being specifically tuned to be useful. This is somewhat intentional. I think low-level magic SHOULD be incredibly useful - a teeny-tiny bit of magic should have tons of useful possibilites if cleverly applied. And I am also fine with having total red herrings thrown in that will never be useful, so that the player has to actually be clever about deciding what to use rather than "anything will work if you jam it in hard enough".

Dungeons usually developed around the concept of what the primary obstacle for each dungeon would be, and then got tweaked around in order to try and accommodate different magical approaches. "Cross a hole" "Find a hidden exit" "Deal with a monster" etc. I'd generally like it to be possible to succeed if you either went all-out in any one color or if you balanced all your colors. For White Magic this doesn't always work out, as the nature of White Magic makes it a better support category than a main category.

I've tweaked the mechanics a little in Wolf Hall to try and encourage people to pick a favorite color to focus on rather than just balancing, because too many players do that instinctively and it's more boring to watch LPs if everyone does the same thing. :lol: Some spells have also been adjusted to give them more uses, and one or two spells have changed drastically. There's also some adjustments to the beginning of the game, where I'm forcing players to learn the first spell in each color before they can branch out. So now I can count on every player having those basics available and take that into account when planning. EVERYBODY has 'Light', so I'm making a lot more use of darkness as a dungeon feature.

pinkorchestra

#97 Post by pinkorchestra » Mon May 28, 2018 6:25 am

You know, if some of the other fans are hoping for a new relationship path where someone else is uh, "leading", you're welcome to join me and pray that we get an Angela path.... :)

Schwarzbart

#98 Post by Schwarzbart » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 am

It is 1 year after this thread was started, can you tell us how Wolf Hall is coming along? Is it still early development and so many years away or something close to release that we can hope to buy it in 1 or 2 years?

hanako
Site Admin

#99 Post by hanako » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm

There's quite a lot of playable game already, but due to the structural plans, it's not going to be available for a while yet. Basically right now we are trying to get at least skeletal versions of all the dungeon exams up and running (we expect there will still be a lot of bugs to iron out later). The reason for this is to be certain of exactly what art we need to polish up the dungeons with.

When the dungeon looks right, we can then run a kickstarter, which will offer alpha access to play the game as the rest of it develops. But we need a nice-looking dungeon for screenshots/videos for that.

Plotwise I've written almost all the way up to Christmas (minus some dungeon stuff that needs to be updated when we know how the art looks so we can do proper tutorials, etc), so when testers get in there will already be a good amount of game to play. All the spell-learning scenes are completed, and the second semester generally moves at a faster pace, so it's more than halfway in terms of writing.

I am aiming for the KS to be sometime this year. Hopefully.

Schwarzbart

#100 Post by Schwarzbart » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for the answer and already good luck with the Kickstarter.
(I personal no longer active there because I lost to much money trough KS that never delivered. KS it self no longer care once they got the money and calling the law if your not living in the same country is not really reasonable unless you backed a very high sum)

FantasyFan

#101 Post by FantasyFan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:01 pm

I will most definitely be happy to donate to the Kickstarter whenever it's put up.

ThePokeGirl

#102 Post by ThePokeGirl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 am

I've never even thought about donating to any kickstarters before, but I'm so excited about this. I definitely will.

Oki

#103 Post by Oki » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 pm

My gosh, I would love to support you guys by giving to a kickstarter.
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

EenPersoon

#104 Post by EenPersoon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:25 pm

I hope the Kickstarter will be succesful! :D
Umm, about the romance options. I know who the two male options are and the one female option because they were revealed in the old thread. Have you decided who the other female options are? I understand if you want to keep it a secret.

hanako
Site Admin

#105 Post by hanako » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 pm

I know who's datable, I can't remember how much has been announced though, and I'm trying to save announcements at this point for when we have the funding-related push, so people have more to talk about when it happens. Because there's at least one thing I'm hoping will get a good few whaaaaaaaaats when I finally spill :)