Sequel Talk - Magical Diary Wolf Hall

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
Hazel

#151 Post by Hazel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 am

I'd love to learn more about Minnie. Over my many iterations with Horse Hall I became wildly infatuated with her, not being able to get Kyo off her back really bummed me out. :( Talk about a toxic boyfriend.

If the character is born to a magical family, I hope that means we'll get to meet his parents, or maybe even siblings. At least, I would like to know something about them. Growing up in a magical family is bound to be cool, and the community is so small that everyone knows everyone. How awesome would it be if the PC's parents have this big reputation he's expected to live up to?

The only thing I feel weird about is the classes, spells and dungeons. Will they be the same as in Horse Hall? It's the same students in the same year, they all sit in class together and surely the boys don't get different exams than the girls. Unless the PC is a gifted student who gets bumped to sophomore classes after the fall term.

Amphigorey

#152 Post by Amphigorey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:16 am

Hazel wrote: The only thing I feel weird about is the classes, spells and dungeons. Will they be the same as in Horse Hall? It's the same students in the same year, they all sit in class together and surely the boys don't get different exams than the girls. Unless the PC is a gifted student who gets bumped to sophomore classes after the fall term.
Considering this is an AU where Horse Hall PC doesn't exist, it's probably also an AU where they designed different freshmen year dungeons. I wouldn't have a problem with the spells being the same, since a lot of them see very little use in Horse Hall.

Maykacha

Looking forward to it. Though I would vote for a spin off

#153 Post by Maykacha » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:10 pm

I am sure I will enjoy it as I did the first. Though I am never crazy about playing male roles. Just seems odd somehow:). What would be interesting though is a continuation of sorts of the first .. It would be tough to do all of them but I think most really enjoyed the one with Grabiner. It might be interesting to do one with just female continuation you can name her as you play it as the first. Making different choices to progress relationship, stay in school during it.. move to England on another track , or take things slowly as friends and see what happens... Keep her friends the two room mates involved. I just loved the way it all worked and hope perhaps in the future you might consider sort of a spin off of the first.

hanako
Site Admin

#154 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm

(This isn't aimed at you specifically so please don't feel bad, but:)

While I know there are many people who would like to see a continuation of their Horse Hall characters, it is not possible at this point in time, and every time people ask about it, it makes me feel more and more like giving up on the setting entirely. :) It doesn't help that Wolf Hall has been perpetually delayed due to artist problems and I'm now going to have to start over from scratch in order to make it at all...

Like I said, this isn't aimed at you, I just keep seeing these posts over and over on this forum and others, or sometimes people yelling at me and claiming that I "obviously" intended to write all four years and am somehow cheating them by having released the game that I wrote... sigh.

Anyway, I'm just posting this here in the hopes of discouraging anyone else from following up with a "yeah that would be great". Please don't. :)

hanako
Site Admin

#155 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm

So yeah, the actual news update here - my resolution for 2013 is to throw out what little existed, find a new artist, and try to get this game started. Sad, because I really did want to be able to have all the characters mingling on the yearbook together, which would look better if they were all in the same style, and I do have a tiny bit of art for Wolf Hall done, but I think it's clear that if I keep waiting it's just never going to happen.

Oki

#156 Post by Oki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm

hanako wrote:So yeah, the actual news update here - my resolution for 2013 is to throw out what little existed, find a new artist, and try to get this game started. Sad, because I really did want to be able to have all the characters mingling on the yearbook together, which would look better if they were all in the same style, and I do have a tiny bit of art for Wolf Hall done, but I think it's clear that if I keep waiting it's just never going to happen.
That sucks! I'm sorry it came down to it, but that's the issue that came up and I'm happy to hear it will be happening at all. Now my boyfriend will play Magical Diary as well wahahah!

AND HEY I'M AVAILA- *cannon ball shot*
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

FantasyFan

#157 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 pm

While I'm sorry about the artist thing, I AM excited to hear that this will finally get off the ground when you find a new one, since I think almost everyone here is really excited about the game. Hopefully you'll be able to find an artist who can at least mimic the style of the first game. I'd volunteer, but I can't draw worth a lick.

Hazel

#158 Post by Hazel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 am

That's sad, but probably for the best. For the record, what I love best about Magical Diary is the worldbuilding and intrigue, so if I get to unlock all the niggling secrets and conspiracies, I don't really mind if I'm doing it as a Wolf Hall boy.

Plus, the idea of having all six halls is very exciting! I think being a Snake girl would be interesting, although a little quick math tells me it would be optimistic to mark this on my calendar... for 2017 or thereabouts. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how the second game differs from the first. But patiently.

junsei7

#159 Post by junsei7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm so sorry the artist issues have continued, but I'm so happy that this is moving forward. Magical Diary is such a joy to play.

I guess making a game that people really enjoy is a gift and a curse - please don't be discouraged by the crazy levels of love! Coz you know when Wolf Hall comes out people will be wanting a game where their Horse girl can date their Wolf boy! Or is that just me... :lol: Honestly, as much as I love my Horse girls, I'd much rather have a play as all the Halls than following one through to second year.

cae

#160 Post by cae » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm

hanako wrote:So yeah, the actual news update here - my resolution for 2013 is to throw out what little existed, find a new artist, and try to get this game started. Sad, because I really did want to be able to have all the characters mingling on the yearbook together, which would look better if they were all in the same style, and I do have a tiny bit of art for Wolf Hall done, but I think it's clear that if I keep waiting it's just never going to happen.
You can always request the new artist to do something like that for you at the end of the game. Just a little prize for us to unlock, or something. That way we have something to look forward to, and the artist can always have the right to disagree and such as well. (In the end, he/she is going to have to draw them all anyway, right? :P)

Good luck finding a new artist!

yuri999

#161 Post by yuri999 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Hanako have you written up the scenario for Wolf Hall? If so how much progress have you made?

hanako
Site Admin

#162 Post by hanako » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Nothing exists for Wolf Hall except some vague concept notes and some art which has to be thrown out. It has not been in active production, ever.

I kept waiting for the artist to finish stuff while I did other things in the meantime, you see... (Because it's easier to write the scenarios when I have the sprites so I can plan out expressions and reactions.)

Oki

#163 Post by Oki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 am

hanako wrote:Nothing exists for Wolf Hall except some vague concept notes and some art which has to be thrown out. It has not been in active production, ever.

I kept waiting for the artist to finish stuff while I did other things in the meantime, you see... (Because it's easier to write the scenarios when I have the sprites so I can plan out expressions and reactions.)
Wow really? It's so interesting to know that. As my writer and artist I write it and do the emotions based on how I wrote it.

hanako
Site Admin

#164 Post by hanako » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 am

If you're your own artist, you can add things on the fly as they're needed. I have to do a lot of guesswork about what I'm going to need before I actually need it. I generally can't go back and get something else added that I've suddenly realised would be useful, although some things I can fake if I have enough base components to work with.

The expression chosen affects the way people will read the lines, so if I don't have anything that can express a particular emotion for a character, that affects what I'll write.

Beyond that, it's also helpful to be able to play through what I've just written and see how it flows and whether the visual aspects of the scene suggest any needed modifications. It kills momentum for me if I have to wait months after writing it to see what it looks like!

I'm sure other people work differently though.

Oki

#165 Post by Oki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 am

Absolutely! Trust me, I completely understand your methods. I've gone back and rewritten lines because I liked sprites so much.

I've never thought of it like that! I really enjoy learning how you work. As you've noticed I tend to ask a lot of questions about the creative process for other folks.

Here's hoping for a 2013 development process!