Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

Male protagonist, in the Hall for bold and athletic boys.
Staldice

Re: Wolf Hall - Development Testing Thread

#571 Post by Staldice » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Really enjoying WH, I have a few stray thoughts so far:

I noticed you deviate slightly between American and British English on occasion; an "honor" here, but "realised" there sort of thing.

During the Minnie route, I noticed that you can ... completely lock yourself out of the route if you respond with 'It was their choice' during your W19 dialogue. Given her motivations, I understand why she'd disagree, but it feels a bit unexpected, especially given you don't know too much about her yet - I was half expecting it to be the fact I ratted her out to Potsdam when I wanted to start cooking club, ha ha.

You did a good job writing Barbara, keeping her dialogue minimal while really hammering out her expressions. ... The mall visit took me completely off guard!

Good to see the return of Big Steve, will enjoy ... getting PTSD from the crane game all over again ;)

I think next up is the Damien route, ...though after he dropped the s-bomb at the dark dance during my William playthrough, I might have to force myself!

Staldice

#572 Post by Staldice » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol:

Spoilers for late Minnie's route: https://imgur.com/a/FMJ4lj5

Cautious91

#573 Post by Cautious91 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Staldice wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol:

Spoilers for late Minnie's route: https://imgur.com/a/FMJ4lj5
:lol: Don't know the context, but love it)) (Внезапно!)

hanako
Site Admin

#574 Post by hanako » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 am

0.7.13.1 Patch

* New scenes to Apr 11

* Charm-selected indicator in statbar when a Charm is being worn
* Election Campaign CG on Oct 9.
* New Suki sprite in. This involves twiddling to sprite naming which might cause sprite errors elsewhere.
* Manuel's talker should no longer bounce weirdly between ears-up and other positions.

* Drain Magic desc now clearer that it only targets spellcasters.
* Drain Magic no longer drains from things that are neither alive nor sentient.
* Entering Tutorial 8 now saves the RNG log to <savedir>/tutorial8.rng.log.
* Now include the tutorial 8 RNG log in uploaded tracebacks.
* farsight_target save warning silenced.
* Dig should now refuse to dig through IndestructableWall()s.
* Low/High Shaft Walls no longer movable, so Shockwave won't knock them down holes.
* HighTunnel units (seen at the top of stairs) no longer movable.
* Fixed the bug where clicking rapidly with Farsight up would sometimes crash or lock up the dungeon UI (with the viewpoint stuck in the Farsight proxy but none of the dungeon controls usable.). This introduces a new bug where the direction indicator on the minimap doesn't face the right way during Farsight.
* Minimap direction indicator now correctly updated during Farsight.
* Use hard pauses during Farsight to force the minimap to actually update even if the player clicks too fast.
* Debug messages trimmed.
* Candidate fix for a crash displaying lightning strikes; however, since I couldn't reproduce the crash, I can't verify the fix.
* "The Stairs ARE struck by lightning."

Apr 11 is a Friday, not the Sunday - I couldn't quite get that far and wanted to get this patch up. This week is heaviest for the Ellen and Barbara routes.

kfc9omg

#575 Post by kfc9omg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:00 am

i don't have any specific feedback, just wanted to say i'm loving the recent updates. barbara's my main squeeze so it's great to find out more about her. can't wait for more

EenPersoon

#576 Post by EenPersoon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi! Only played bits of the Ellen route and most of Minnie's. Their stories are very fun so far. I didn't really have an opinion of Minnie in Horse Hall but she's an interesting character in this game and I like her a lot :D .

A tiny question about the Magical Diary world. Before going Iris Academy, do parents teach their kids spells too? It always made me wonder if born witches and wizards would already know how to cast simple spells like Breeze without needing to be taught by a teacher.

hanako
Site Admin

#577 Post by hanako » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm always hesitant to give too many answers outside of actual canon text. :D

We know that human witches and wizards don't have access to their magical powers until they're 13.

We know that wildseeds, specifically, are then contacted by officials and given the Choice, which either makes them forget about magic entirely or restricts them from using magic until they go to school three years later.

I don't think I've ever given any clear details of what happens to born witches and wizards during that three year span. The freshmen don't seem to be starting out way ahead of the wildseeds, but they also sometimes hint at knowing things that aren't taught in any classes. If they learn things at home, it's probably not the same things they learn at school. It's also quite possible that most born witches have their magic locked just like the wildseeds do, and the reason they can sometimes do a few extra things is just because they've been hanging around magic for so long, they have different ideas of what's possible, and they're better at experimenting once they get their magic under control.

WolfPC has clearly been taught things outside of what people learn at Iris Academy, but he's also far from a normal American wizard.

EenPersoon

#578 Post by EenPersoon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Thank you for your answer, Hanako!

I've continued Ellen's story and I think I found a grammar mistake: Right after spring break, when she talks to WolfPC in his room about Musette, it says "if a echo of a ghost" but it's supposed to "an echo", right?

hanako
Site Admin

#579 Post by hanako » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:36 am

0.7.18 Patch

* New scenes to April 20
* Tweak to the Secret Santa/broke scene, to indicate some students do opt out of the Santa experience.
* 'an echo' on March 30 Ellen scene.
* Now directly track whether you chose the week6 advance. This will also be set on April 5th if you've got allowance debt; if you have a pre-0.7.15 save that was made after the April 5th allowance, you won't get the "Including, to my surprise" line and will just get "my allowance arrives as usual."
* Now correctly track whether we received our first post-debt allowance in week32. Saves made after the April 12th allowance in versions <0.7.17 will just get vanilla allowance text instead of excited allowance text.
* Fixed a crash if you fast-forward through the week32 Musette portal scene.
* Scrubbers for the Musette anim controllers added.
* Level repr now shows subticks.
* Casting spells on yourself now interrupts a dungeon pause even when there's a custom anim. Fixes the bug where casting Longjmp would tell you you cast Longjump, but then wait until you clicked before actually jumping.
* Directional spells with custom anims (Lightning) no longer wait for a click to advance. (It does still wait for red casting to finish.)
* Lightning graphic tweaked, now blue instead of purple/yellow.
* Stairs no longer singular. Non-singular objects now crumble into rubble instead of crumbles-ing into rubble.
* DefeatedFaders no longer physical, so they won't get pushed around by Shockwave.
* Direction-chooser menu (as seen in Dig/Lightning) improved.
* Fiddling with tinting code for side-view mossy walls.
* One of Luke's uniform2 sprites was using the uniform1 base, fixed.
* Removed unused cgs/body-tan.png.
* Fixed a crash that can occur in certain talker errors.
* Improved error reporting for some parse errors on saves/persistent.

Lots of things happening, particularly Luke finally getting to the point, and the potential return of Damien...

hanako
Site Admin

#580 Post by hanako » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:35 pm

0.7.18.1 bugfix

Fixing a character's outfit that was being blocked from uploading for reasons.

deathscoming

#581 Post by deathscoming » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:47 pm

May I ask how many endings are there for each character? I am genuinely curious about that, is there only one good one and a bad one?

hanako
Site Admin

#582 Post by hanako » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Because this is more of a 'one central plot with optional character relationships' setup than a completely-branching-routes scenario like some visual novels have, there's not really a good answer for that.

The only game "endings" that we know of at this point are completing your school year successfully OR getting sent home early by Grabiner.

Many character routes have "failure states" where you can fail early on and not get any further scenes with that character. But I can't really describe that as a "bad ending" because it doesn't end the game. Some routes might have lots of ways to fail. Some routes might be very difficult to fail. And is continuing a character's route necessarily a good thing?

And if you attend the final Ball with a character, is that "one ending" regardless of all the variables going into it or not? After all, on many character paths you could at least be Romantic or Friendly, which changes a lot of scenes (in a pretty big way on William's route, less so for others).

Most characters aren't going to suddenly dump you at the last minute if you've been following their storyline, because why would they? (Because Angela, that's why. But in her case, you were never that close to begin with.)