Webpage and Demo Live

An American university student takes a semester abroad in England seeking fun and romance in this visual novel.
hanako
Site Admin

Webpage and Demo Live

#1 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm

While some of the website changes may still be trickling through caching, the main England Exchange webpage should now be up, along with purchase links and demo versions of the game.

Please let me know if you run into any problems!! I have goofed and uploaded broken demos once or twice, and sometimes people just don't tell me because they figure someone else will, and it stays broken for ages :)

ppd

Re: Webpage and Demo Live

#2 Postby ppd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 am

I am ecstatic for a new visual novel with male same-sex relationship options! I am a gay guy and while it is fun to play visual novels as a heterosexual female protagonist and date guys, guys dating guys is more exciting! There aren't very many visual novels for same-sex attracted males, I am just aware of Coming Out on Top, and some games from Winter Wolves.

I started playing the demo, and there is an error when I try to save the game during the opening dialogue, but I was able to save in the next scene (airport).
Here is the error message in case it is helpful:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 71, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 88, in GetFileSaveData
NameError: global name 'month' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 71, in script
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\ast.py", line 1706, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\ast.py", line 1724, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\statements.py", line 145, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\exports.py", line 2521, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\core.py", line 2492, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\core.py", line 3166, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\layout.py", line 952, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\layout.py", line 952, in event
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\screen.py", line 651, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 430, in event
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 299, in run
    new_rv = run(i, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\England Exchange Demo\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 306, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 88, in GetFileSaveData
NameError: global name 'month' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.12.2.2029
England Exchange 1.0

Thank you! : )

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:58 am

Whoops, guess I didn't expect anyone to save that fast. :) Thanks, I should be able to fix that next time I update it.

I hope you have an enjoyable romance! Danny's route has the most changes for the BxB version, and I'm curious to see how it turns out. Wolf Hall, when it ever gets written, will also have BxB routes so I'm looking out for feedback on what people like and don't like.

Franka

#4 Postby Franka » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:46 pm

I unlocked all CGs, so I guess I played through each pairing at least once. No technical issues, so I'll just give a bit of feedback, which isn't meant for you to act on, just giving you my impressions.

While I quite liked that it wasn't pure wish fulfillment, at the same time I felt a little cheated by some of the romances, or whatever we should call them. To properly advertise this game, those paths should more accurately be named "abuse paths." :wink: One of them made me kind of uncomfortable, I guess it hit a little too close to home, which was not the experience I was looking for, but skip was my friend for a scene or two.

Overall, I thought the writing was good. I was a little annoyed at seeing stereotypes heavily reinforced for the bad choices, that felt somewhat moralizing, but if that's what the writer wanted, it just clashed with my expectations.

Still pretty baffled by Ji Hyo, she acts like a caricature way too often, and seems pretty far removed from any semblance of reality. If she's putting on an act, like she says, then she's incredibly horrible at it when she only remembers to do so every third line of dialogue or so.

Peggy was lovely though, and so was Ashley, but then I didn't have the heart to try too hard at getting their non-good endings. I did try once for Peggy, but my choices stll sent me to the good ending even though I thought I was being kind of mean to her.

In any case, a good time was had more often than not, and best of luck with the release!

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Postby hanako » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:12 pm

(re: peggy - depending on what version you were on, what should have been her neutral ending was also leading to the good end for a while)

I've updated both demo and fullbuilds to 1.01 (it may take a little bit to show up on the webpage). This fixes the error with saving in the scene with Jin Soo and Nene at the beginning, and a couple of minor wording changes. It is NOT anything interesting to get if you already have the game. :) But do let me know if you run into any other trouble.

ppd

#6 Postby ppd » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Hanako wrote:I hope you have an enjoyable romance! Danny's route has the most changes for the BxB version, and I'm curious to see how it turns out. Wolf Hall, when it ever gets written, will also have BxB routes so I'm looking out for feedback on what people like and don't like.

Thanks! I loved Magical Diary and would very much enjoy the sequel, especially with BXB routes!!

KitCat

#7 Postby KitCat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Nice game at usually... Although itis only demo...

ppd

#8 Postby ppd » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 pm

I played and got good endings for Danny and Mark BXB routes. I am putting my thoughts in tiny font below with spoilers, so copy and paste if you want to read and are ok with spoilers.

I think Danny's was my favourite of the two romances. I find masculinity and kindness very attractive and Danny excels at both! His jealousy and possessiveness is an interesting flaw. It was fine in the video game, but I would be much more cautious dating someone like that in real life.
My first playthrough I also didn't press Danny about his secrets when given the option to do so and he ends up with Peggy! It was frustrating, but I appreciated the realism of the consequence of being too passive in that kind of situation.

Mark reminds me of myself the most of the characters. I am also a bit socially inept and spend time thinking about the nature of reality and life, except I am much quieter about my opinions. I liked best that you can have a happy ending with someone who doesn't seem to fit stereotypical notions of male attractiveness. It seems like that relationship is built a lot more from intention and commitment than the passion of Danny's route. It was an interesting alternative.

KitCat

#9 Postby KitCat » Wed May 03, 2017 7:47 pm

ppd wrote:I played and got good endings for Danny and Mark BXB routes. I am putting my thoughts in tiny font below with spoilers, so copy and paste if you want to read and are ok with spoilers.

:wink: :roll: oh... good !

Return to “England Exchange”