Guestbook - Say hello (briefly)

ATTENTION!!!! Newly registered members MUST post here in order to unlock full posting access! !!!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Guestbook - Say hello (briefly)

#166 Post by hanako » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 pm

xiaohei6751 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 am Hi Hannako and everyone!
I am a new one come from China.
I purchased and played the game<Long live the queen>, and fall in love with the game,especially with some tables in create a nearly infinite selections. After learning beginer's level of ren'py, I wish to create my own game.
I come here for thanking Hanako for her electronic art, and, I believe there are 2 tables in <Long live the queen>, which are emotion and learning lesson, and this 2 tables have relationship with each other.it is a bit hard for me to write the structure of tables directly in renpy, so I am coming to seek advice on are there any guide of how to insert tables in Renpy and make it change during different options?
Thanks!
Hello!

You'll probably get better answers on coding questions on the lemmasoft forums, as there's more people there and a lot of different approaches to solving problems as well as sample code. I'm not quite sure what you mean by tables. Screens, maybe?

xiaohei6751

#167 Post by xiaohei6751 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:06 am

Yes ,you are right, they are coding problems.I came here mostly for thank your work.
May I know how did you create that 2 table systems? I mean, mood system and lesson system, and use these 2 tables to affect different choices?
Is that you did the coding work? or you only work on designing the script? You are such a brilliant designer!

hanako
Site Admin

#168 Post by hanako » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:44 pm

It depends on the game. For some games I do the code as well as writing and design, and for some games (like LLTQ) I leave the code to Spiky and just focus on the design side of things.

For coding purposes, they aren't tables really, just lots and lots of variables to be checked whenever anything happens. Some variables are updated based on other variables. I think a lot of them are recalculated at the beginning of the week, like the bonuses based on your current mood and the skill bonuses based on how much skill you have already.

Subtended

#169 Post by Subtended » Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi, I backed Cute Bite and tried the current demo build!
Looks very promising! I've never been particularly good at these raising sims, but won't stop me from trying, haha.
Most of my feedback is about UI and information stats/skills, though I'm not sure how much latitude you have within RenPy to do things like floating tooltips.
I can put it into a longer/more detailed post in the Cute Bite subforum once unlocked.

Zephy

#170 Post by Zephy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:37 am

Hi, I'm Zephy, I just found Horse Hall through Itchio, and now I'm wondering if there's a possibility for something like Magical Diary: Year 2, since the game only runs through the end of freshman year.

hanako
Site Admin

#171 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:46 pm

Short answer: almost certainly not.

Longer answer: there's been a lot of threads about this, though even I have trouble finding them on short notice. The game was never originally designed to do multiple years, though. The magic system isn't set up for it. Half the cast would be immediately removed from play because all the seniors would have graduated and left. All the Damien routes, for example, would be unable to continue, because he can't come back to the school (and sometimes the protagonist can't either, if you got THAT ending). Continuing the Grabiner route would also be really unlikely to work well in the same game as everything else. People writing Grabiner fanfic often want to go off to England with him to meet his family, or to get involved in complicated Otherworld drama, all of which would be really interesting but is so completely different from what would be happening to a normal student that it would be ruled out as part of a general year 2 game.

The original design was to be able to do freshman year in all six halls, learning more about the characters through different perspectives and getting to date different people in each game. It's unlikely that all six will actually happen, but Wolf Hall is out now, and contains a lot of interesting plotlines for someone who's played Horse Hall. Lots of questions about Minnie, Damien, William, Musette, and even Grabiner will get answers, and a bunch of new characters that weren't seen at all or only barely in Horse Hall get their chance for introductions.

There are no current plans for what, if anything, to do after Wolf Hall. Originally it would have been Butterfly after Wolf, but I don't know if that's really the best choice. The most important plotline which still hasn't been shown and was intended for a later game is Raven's, which will answer some HUGE questions about the setting when she finally gets a main route, things that her side route in Wolf Hall didn't even touch on.

GremlinWrangler

#172 Post by GremlinWrangler » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:06 am

Hi, here to post Cute Bite beta stuff

GW

burlapchafesmeso

#173 Post by burlapchafesmeso » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:55 pm

Gamer, geneticist, teacher, person who writes strategy guides (including Long Live the Queen as user Chicago Ted on Steam).

Currently hacking into Princess Maker 4 to translate it because it will never see an official English release. Attempting to find Deekoo and their tentacle powers.

hanako
Site Admin

#174 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:12 pm

Will attempt to pass on a message, though I don't know how much of those files are still around.

burlapchafesmeso

#175 Post by burlapchafesmeso » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:50 am

Thank you. Have the old files already and been poking around at what was done previously. Just sorta stumped on one part that it seems Deekoo figured out ages ago; hopeful they might remember what they did so I can build off of that. Very much appreciated!

AAMC

#176 Post by AAMC » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Hello!

Currently loving Cute Bite~

10gb

#177 Post by 10gb » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:04 am

Hello internets, thanks for having me.

hanako
Site Admin

#178 Post by hanako » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:08 pm

10gb wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:04 am Hello internets, thanks for having me.
Sorry, I've approved this post but not this account as it still sounds suspiciously botlike. Say something more substantial about who you are and why you're here, please? :)

10gb

#179 Post by 10gb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:48 am

Haha, you can never be sure nowadays, can you? Funnily enough, this reminds me today's conversation with a friend who spent good 30 minutes on a text support with Adobe about being charged double for a subscription. At the end of it, the friend couldn't tell whether the whole process wasn't just an overly complicated conversation loop with AI bots, as they evolved significantly in the past couple years. The final verdict was in favour of justice, but was it really a human will that decided the outcome?

As to what brought me here; I wondered about one aspect of recently purchased Wolf Hall I found myself immersed in. At certain point, I managed to successfully _not_ progress in classes of white magic (around level 10-11) for a respectable strike of what, 6 failures? Baffled, I decided to seek knowledge from elders, the source itself, here in forums where no secret is left unsolved :idea:

hanako
Site Admin

#180 Post by hanako » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Okay, *now* your account is on :)

Though I don't have much wisdom to impart on that one, as failure is just an RNG roll vs your stress and sometimes bad luck happens.