Beta-testing versions now available!

Newly arrived from India, Sara Crewe must make friends at a British boarding school. A light-yuri simulation game based on the classic novel.
hanako
Site Admin

Beta-testing versions now available!

#1 Postby hanako » Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm

Builds have been uploaded and are ready to go! The game at this point is theoretically complete except for the secret bonus that will only be added after beta. However, that doesn't mean things can't be changed, especially if problems are found.

Please report any technical issues in this thread. That includes stuff like "the game doesn't run on Mac" (TELL ME IF THIS HAPPENS!!!), or crashes, or weird glitches where the graphics seem to be being drawn wrong, or even "the order didn't go through" or "the email message I got from the order makes no sense". Stuff that isn't about the story. Story discussion and requests for changes/clarification should go in the beta plot thread.

Keep your order receipts. This game does not use a key/updater system, so I will need to manually issue fresh downloads when we come out of beta, or if you want a Steam key when the game comes out there. The easiest way to do this is to keep the receipt email so you can forward the whole thing to me when the time comes.

The price is currently $10. It will go up to $15 at full launch. You do not need to buy the game again to get the later version or Steam access, just as long as I can find your order (see above)

So, let's get to it, shall we?

Windows Beta

Mac Beta

Linux Beta

Vemocleus

Re: Beta-testing versions now available!

#2 Postby Vemocleus » Fri May 06, 2016 1:26 am

Running Win7, and the installation file does nothing when I try to open it. It adds a process, but doesn't do anything from there. The problem seems very familiar to me, but I can't remember how I got around it before. Any suggestions?

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Fri May 06, 2016 1:42 am

Do you have any antivirus programs that might be silently stopping the installer from working?

Since it's a brand-new installer of a never-before-seen game, overprotective AV programs WILL mark it as "unknown file, potentially dangerous".

I am not saying you should turn off your programs :) But it would be useful to know what you have running, and to see if you can get any log data from it to see if it's causing the issue.

Vemocleus

#4 Postby Vemocleus » Fri May 06, 2016 2:09 am

Ah, yes. Antivirus. The most obvious thing to check for. Of course it installed perfectly after I disabled it. Sorry... :oops:

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Postby hanako » Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 am

Which antivirus, btw? Some of them will let me submit an installer for whitelisting which can help other users in the future.

Vemocleus

#6 Postby Vemocleus » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 am

I use Avast. I hope that helps. I wish it had given me a warning instead of just doing it silently, but oh well, maybe I can mess with settings. By the way, thanks for making more games! I look forward to this one as well~

cecilia

#7 Postby cecilia » Sun May 08, 2016 12:52 am

I received an exception when attempting to save shortly after initiating Jessie's first scene. It looks like it's unable to find a valid save location?

If it matters, I'm running windows 10, and I'm not aware of any permissions issues that would prevent the game from being able to save. This is the first time I have attempted to save, and after a bit more experimentation I appear to be unable to save the game at all.

Traceback below:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 71, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 457, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 277, in __call__
    renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
Exception: Not saved - no valid save locations.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/save_namer.rpy", line 71, in script
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\ast.py", line 1696, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\ast.py", line 1714, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\statements.py", line 144, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 457, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\exports.py", line 2461, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\ui.py", line 277, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\core.py", line 2424, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\core.py", line 3080, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\layout.py", line 906, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\layout.py", line 906, in event
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\screen.py", line 638, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\layout.py", line 188, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 811, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 754, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 288, in run
    new_rv = run(i, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 295, in run
    return var(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 277, in __call__
    renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\loadsave.py", line 290, in save
    location.save(slotname, sr)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\A Little Lily Princess\renpy\savelocation.py", line 402, in save
    raise Exception("Not saved - no valid save locations.")
Exception: Not saved - no valid save locations.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.8.959
ALittleLilyPrincess 0.9

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Sun May 08, 2016 1:29 am

Hmm.

Is it possible that your hard drive is full? That and permissions errors are the only things I can think of off the top of my head, and the only other matching error I can find online was from someone who says it spontaneously fixed itself later. (Different game, but same underlying code response.) This error message generally means that the game tried to save, but the computer prevented it from creating new files.

If you go to C:\Users\(your username here)\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\ is there a folder for ALittleLilyPrincess showing up at all? Is there anything in it?

cecilia

#9 Postby cecilia » Sun May 08, 2016 2:57 am

hanako wrote:Hmm.

Is it possible that your hard drive is full? That and permissions errors are the only things I can think of off the top of my head, and the only other matching error I can find online was from someone who says it spontaneously fixed itself later. (Different game, but same underlying code response.) This error message generally means that the game tried to save, but the computer prevented it from creating new files.

If you go to C:\Users\(your username here)\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\ is there a folder for ALittleLilyPrincess showing up at all? Is there anything in it?

There is a folder for ALittleLilyPrincess, it contains a small file (2kb) called "Persistent". I can send you a copy if you like.

I'm going to finish out my current playthrough, but I'll check if restarting the game or running it with admin permissions or anything like that changes things.

(edit: the drive im using reports 83gb free so I don't think it's a space issue)

edit: it looks like it was my antivirus doing some sort of sandbox nonsense. Sorry for the trouble.

If anyone else is running into this issue when using Avast, it can be solved by going into Avast settings -> Active Protection -> File System Shield -> Customize -> turn off the various "scan when executing" options. I turned it off for both exe and dll files but I'm not sure if only one or the other is necessary.

ppd

#10 Postby ppd » Sun May 08, 2016 11:58 pm

I did not have problems installing the game. When launching the game the first time, I received two error messages. They appeared in dialog boxes marked 'system error', but also had 'Avast' just above the dialog box. It seemed to show two dll files were missing. However, the game still launched anyways.
Relaunching the game after that first time presents no errors.

Thank you so much for making this game! I loved the story of A Little Princess as a child, and find the idea of playing a video game based on it thrilling!

I am using Windows 7.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Postby hanako » Fri May 13, 2016 4:52 pm

The Steam release date is public now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/449250/

The non-beta version will be available on my site at least a day before, I'll send out notifications to get your fresh download and/or Steam keys.

Return to “A Little Lily Princess”