a little lily princess

Newly arrived from India, Sara Crewe must make friends at a British boarding school. A light-yuri simulation game based on the classic novel.
hanako
Site Admin

Re: a little lily princess

#46 Postby hanako » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 pm

4/6 routes scripted, basic GUI for the stat-raising and date-choosing in place. Still no sound, still need to mess with the GUI for save/load/options, haven't touched gallery/checklist stuff yet.

hanako
Site Admin

#47 Postby hanako » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:33 am

All routes scripted!

So, at this point, I need to recruit a couple of pre-readers. This is not open beta, this will be restricted to a careful few who can be trusted to follow directions and not burn down the candy store. :) Art isn't finished, sound isn't even started, this is for people who love to read and to analyse what they're reading, for checking the character development of the routes.

To apply, either post here or email me at owner@hanakogames.com with the following information:

How familiar are you with the source material, and which versions? Read the book? Seen the older movie, the newer movie, the anime? (I would prefer to get a range of possibilities here, so if you know NOTHING about the original story, that's perfectly fine!)
What character (other than Sara) interests you most? If you don't know what cast I'm using, check the early part of the thread or the game webpage.
Are you British? (I'm trying to use British spellings for this so knowing which way you lean is helpful.)
Do you have an example of some reviews you've written, to show how you think about fiction? (If you've done one of these jobs for me before, you can remind me of that, because I am scatterbrained enough to forget!)
Preference is given to people who've bought games direct from my site! If your forum email address isn't your purchase address you can let me know about other ones I should check.

Don't worry if you're not picked, actual open beta isn't that far off.

FantasyFan

#48 Postby FantasyFan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Just sent you an email - I'd LOVE to do this.

somestrangecircus

#49 Postby somestrangecircus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 am

Sent a very late email last night.

somestrangecircus

#50 Postby somestrangecircus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am

Also, sorry for double post, but I had a question about the stat system you explained on Twitter/blog. What happens if you select No Event for literally every single week?

hanako
Site Admin

#51 Postby hanako » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:10 am

In act 1, you'll be a bit bored, but the game will progress as normal.

In act 2, you'll have only one route available (because Becky's route is available whether you did her act 1 events or not, considering the circumstances) and then the game will never end because the scene where you wake up to find that everything has changed can't happen until you've reached PEAK DESPAIR. Common scenes will stop appearing, and you'll just have week after week of stat-raising going nowhere until you give up and play through the route scenes.

It's designed that way as a safety net in case you have trouble meeting the stat requirements for Act 2 scenes, to give you extra time to catch up rather than dumping you at some sort of bad end. But if the player insists on not playing the game, they can sit there forever being silly if that's what they want....

LunaEclipse18

#52 Postby LunaEclipse18 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:56 pm

This looks adorable <3

hanako
Site Admin

#53 Postby hanako » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Doing my first pass through adding music and sound effects now - Jessie's route first, then backing up to run through the others.

The last batch of CGs has been sent to the artist.

The backgrounds are still running a little behind, though.

hanako
Site Admin

#54 Postby hanako » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:26 am

Soundtracking for Lottie's route is done.

katicflis

#55 Postby katicflis » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Got any kind of timeline for us?

hanako
Site Admin

#56 Postby hanako » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 am

It depends on artists! I can't make them draw faster (much as I wish I could)... I've soundtracked 4 of the 6 routes and am touching up the GUI but while I can hope the art will be finished this month I can't count on it.

edit: One artist just checked in sick and requested the month off to recover, so I guess that kind of suggests this is going to take a while...

Hoosha

#57 Postby Hoosha » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:28 am

No offense but your artists are always unreliable..

hanako
Site Admin

#58 Postby hanako » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Humans get ill, it generally isn't scheduled in advance. :)

But that is why it makes me feel bad to try and give any estimates of when things will be done. It's not POSSIBLE for me to know when things will be done until they actually are (or, at least, are very close to it). If I were sitting on a completed project putting it through a month of testing, then I'd be able to say that it would probably be done at the end of that month. If I were printing discs and waiting for them to come back from a printer, I'd have an estimated time of completion.

If, however, I've asked someone to draw 200 pictures or write 100,000 words, neither I nor they know precisely how long that will take and what events might delay the process. We can only estimate, and most people's estimates tend to be "If everything goes perfectly, it will be done in X". And nothing ever goes perfectly. That isn't their fault.

I have had a few artists who were actual problems in the past, I didn't work with them again after that. Things happening is just life, though.

At least they didn't eat poisoned chocolates.

Bornsecular

#59 Postby Bornsecular » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 pm

Working with people in any capacity is a crapshoot. We are all quite fallible, delicate things. At least we keep getting regular updates! Keep on keepin' on. :D

LateWhiteRabbit

#60 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:10 pm

hanako wrote:Humans get ill, it generally isn't scheduled in advance. :)

But that is why it makes me feel bad to try and give any estimates of when things will be done. It's not POSSIBLE for me to know when things will be done until they actually are (or, at least, are very close to it). If I were sitting on a completed project putting it through a month of testing, then I'd be able to say that it would probably be done at the end of that month. If I were printing discs and waiting for them to come back from a printer, I'd have an estimated time of completion.

If, however, I've asked someone to draw 200 pictures or write 100,000 words, neither I nor they know precisely how long that will take and what events might delay the process. We can only estimate, and most people's estimates tend to be "If everything goes perfectly, it will be done in X". And nothing ever goes perfectly. That isn't their fault.

I have had a few artists who were actual problems in the past, I didn't work with them again after that. Things happening is just life, though.

At least they didn't eat poisoned chocolates.

No kidding. We artists are fickle creatures. One of my favorite artists (Josh Middleton) is too slow to reliably work on a monthly comic book - so they give him the job of doing covers, and if he starts even a 4 issue mini-series, someone else inevitably has to finish the series for him. Cassaday takes months to finish a comic book, and he is one of the top artists at Marvel.

Leonardo took 10 years to finish the Mona Lisa, and another 10 years to finish a bronze horse statue for the city.

What I'm saying is that we are terrible, terrible people, and no one should have to put up with us. :wink:

The training at art school was equal parts artistic techniques, and large doses of "MEET YOUR DEADLINE!"

I've seen the art for Lily Princess, and what is there so far is incredible. Definitely worth the wait in my opinion.

Return to “A Little Lily Princess”