a little lily princess

Newly arrived from India, Sara Crewe must make friends at a British boarding school. A light-yuri simulation game based on the classic novel.
hanako
Site Admin

a little lily princess

#1 Postby hanako » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 pm

So, it's probably about time I created a thread to give you guys some idea of what's going on here!

This is the adaptation of the novel A Little Princess. For those unfamiliar with the source, it's about a young girl in Victorian England who is sent back from India to live at a boarding school in London (during this time period, a lot of British officers were stationed in India, but it was considered a bad place for British children so they sent them back to England to be schooled).

Sara is a sweet, studious, and imaginative girl who likes to make up stories. She misses her father but she adapts to life in England, she has lots of pretty toys, she makes friends... and then bad things happen. And that's probably enough for you to know right now if you haven't read the book. :)

This is an adaptation and will be using a great deal of text straight out of the book, although many things are being added, tweaked, and in some cases outright changed. There will still be some surprises if you're familiar with the story. (Especially if you're used to one of the movie or anime versions, since I'm not going from them.)

It is also a stat-raiser - but a fairly simple one. This is not LLTQ! You build up and spend stats in order to unlock events, and the requirements for the events are visible, so you're not flying blind (and in a pinch, 'build ALL your stats' is a perfectly good idea).

This is a yuri game but it's light yuri, and the routes shade from 'clearly just friends' to 'sweetly romantic' and several points in between. There are six routes planned, I have currently written the first draft for four of them and am just starting the fifth. It's not a very long game and will probably fall in the $10-15 range.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: a little lily princess

#2 Postby hanako » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:39 pm

The art is in progress so I'm limited in what I can show right now, but here are three of the students who attend the school:

From left to right, these are Jessie, Lottie, and Ermengarde.

Jessie is a free spirit with artistic interests, and Lavinia's best friend (Lavinia will be showing up later).

Lottie is one of the youngest girls at the school, a cute little thing who is known to throw tantrums if she doesn't get her way (or even if she's just bored).

Ermengarde has the reputation of being the school dunce, because she's hopeless at most of her formal lessons.

FantasyFan

#3 Postby FantasyFan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:57 pm

This was one of my favorite childhood stories, so I'm super excited!!!

LittleRaven

#4 Postby LittleRaven » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:24 am

I'm so happy you're working on this! :D

bookworm37

#5 Postby bookworm37 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm so excited about this game! Can't wait.

Also, I love the art so far.

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Postby hanako » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:18 am

Just finished drafting Mariette's route, so that's 5/6 in rough. Only one more to go.

I have more sprites but I'm waiting to put them in batches together. Sara and Lavinia should be coming soon.

asperity

#7 Postby asperity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:24 am

Oh, how awesome! I read the book for the first time a year or two ago after never having gotten around to it as a kid, and what a treat.

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 pm

And here are the other two schoolgirls that feature in our story:

Sara, on the left, is our protagonist, a sweet and dreamy girl often distracted by strange ideas or stories she is making up in her mind.

Lavinia, on the right, is Jessie's best friend and the reigning Queen Bee of the school.

FantasyFan

#9 Postby FantasyFan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Why does the mean girl Lavinia look so CUTE? And Sara's so incredibly cute too. I'm drowning in cute!

somestrangecircus

#10 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:59 am

I don't remember half these characters...I really need to reread the book before this comes out, huh?

Runespoor

#11 Postby Runespoor » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:29 am

This looks amazing and the book was one of my favorite, most important novels as a child (right up there with Mathilda), so seeing this is very exciting!

I'm taking the fact that Lavinia shares the same pic as Sara as cautious encouragement to believe she doesn't get sidelined after Sara has more important things to worry about than the former star student of the school. ...I got invested in Sara and Lavinia's weird, one-sided rivalry when I got older [small]and started shipping them[/small].

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Postby hanako » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:08 pm

The first draft of the script is complete in all scenes.

It will be a while before the game can go into public testing, because not nearly enough art is complete for that yet. I will, however, be recruiting private beta readers at some point in the future. I will be looking both for people who have and haven't read the book, since there are different things to consider.

Bornsecular

#13 Postby Bornsecular » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm

I'll throw my name in the ring ASAP for any type of testing. I'm fairly new around these parts (the forum, at least) but I do QA testing for my job if it's any reassurance or character reference.

I fall under the "hasn't read the book" category. I think there may have been a movie made years ago that I saw but I have a terrible memory so it's basically like I didn't see that either! X-D

FantasyFan

#14 Postby FantasyFan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm definitely interested in beta reading. :D I have read the book and I'm very familiar with it.

hanako
Site Admin

#15 Postby hanako » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm

(No need to jump in yet, I'm not doing it YET and I haven't worked out the list of questions I need to ask, so you'd have to post all over again when I'm actually ready for it.)

Return to “A Little Lily Princess”