Thoughts

Quest for adventure with 22 endings to find! - A retro gamebook re-envisioned as a gorgeous visual novel.
Oki

Thoughts

#1 Postby Oki » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:56 am

I figured it'd be rude to play a game and not give any thoughts at all.

Uh. . .it was okay? Knowing you didn't write it, I can tell. It doesn't even feel like a Hanako game, and I guess that underwhelms me? Playing it occasionally I'd go "oh that's cute I'm so pleased!" But the feeling very quickly wore off. I can't say I hate it? The arts pretty good. Laughing felt a little off in the art.

Overall I don't think I'll be playing more Hanabira projects. I love your stuff but this one just felt. . .well, worth about 7 bucks. IT was okay. No errors. Loved Gavin, but nothing dampers your idea of a romance faster than the nagging thought, maybe even in the other routes he's boring like in the one ending.

Yuki

Re: Thoughts

#2 Postby Yuki » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 pm

I've actually got the book, so it's probably worth me getting it. The book itself was alright.

GSN22

#3 Postby GSN22 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 am

I enjoyed the game but I did think it could have worked better with more bad endings to give it a darker vibe. The whole game kinda reminded me of "Choose your own Adventure."

boatgnome

#4 Postby boatgnome » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:42 am

More feedback -- if it's too late for this game, some of it may be helpful for the next one?

I really enjoyed playing through this. The art was excellent, the soundtrack was great, and the interface was lovely. You've done a great job of turning this book into a fun game!

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the story itself. The writing was clunky. There were a couple continuity issues (as has been mentioned elsewhere), and persistent weird sexist assumptions (who says a female warrior has to stop adventuring when she finds love?). I think the art really added dimension to the characterizations, several of which were not super great by themselves.

You asked about "places where it looks like graphics or sound are completely missing". The one place where I wondered about this was the back door to the temple -- several black screens in a row, enough that I noticed and wondered if this was a budget issue.

Interface suggestions:
- I found the dark text bar to be a little too dark -- it often obscured an important part of the image, like the dragon's head. A little more transparency could help with this, and still make the text easily readable.
- I would love to be able to go straight to the Section Map from the "More" menu in-game.
- I would like it if menu options were available in the black "multiple choice" screens.
- It would be nice to be able to go from image to image in the gallery, instead of returning to the gallery screen between each one.
- Game navigation options were super convenient. I never used the Save Game function, but I relied heavily on the Section Map. My dream Section Map would have more of a tree structure, but that's not a big deal.
- I found no typos. None. And I typically notice these things.

I really hope you do more of these, especially (but not only) if you come across some better-written COYA-type titles that you can use.

GSN22

#5 Postby GSN22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 pm

That elf is pretty damn frisky. Nearly every ending he hooks up with the heroine and goes gaga for her. Must get mighty lonely being a Ranger. ;)

wendymarlowe

#6 Postby wendymarlowe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 am

The art is pretty, but I wasn't thrilled about the pacing (the two times I played it through). Lots of huge chunks of text with no player input, plus several places where the choices didn't actually lead to where they looked like they would (e.g. "Let's go do this!" --> "Thanks for your input, I will now talk at you for six screens and resentfully drag you along somewhere else entirely. Except we get where you asked for in the first place, somehow.") I think the story would have been improved a lot by making each blurb shorter and plottier in between choices, and having more choice screens (even if they don't really do much).

Of course, I say this as a writer who doesn't write computer games, so take it with a shaker or two of salt :-P

Return to “Sword Daughter”