Sword Daughter - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Quest for adventure with 22 endings to find! - A retro gamebook re-envisioned as a gorgeous visual novel.
hanako
Site Admin

Sword Daughter - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#1 Postby hanako » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Yep, it's about that time! So - links first and then I'll give some information.

Windows Beta
Mac Beta
Linux Beta

If you haven't been following development, this is a GxB fantasy adventure game in olde RPG style. It's actually a licensed adaptation of a gamebook originally published in the 1980s. (Of course, the original didn't have nearly this much illlustration!) So this is traditional Western fantasy tradition, not anime. On your adventures, you may meet:

A stern elven ranger

A friendly desert guide

A dispossessed prince

A mad wizard

You can see some more screenshots in the earlier thread or the webpage (which is mostly placeholder for the moment).

This is not a super-long game, as most of these 80s gamebooks weren't. It also can never have a demo as it's not really designed for it. With this style, you might end up with a Game Over very quickly, or you might go on a long underground quest, or you might go on a completely different quest and never end up underground at all. Every choice branches the story, and there are 22 different possible outcomes to find.

Since I didn't write the story, I can't change anything in the story. Therefore, I will have to turn down any requests for other endings or choices, sorry. :) However, please do report any:
crashy bugs! (paste the error text on the forum, please?)
typoes
places where it looks like graphics or sound are completely missing

There's no updater built into this game, so if a big bug is found I will have to issue fresh download links. However, this game is MUCH less complicated than something like Black Closet so I'm not expecting a lot of changes. I'm calling it beta here because it's pretty much done, it just needs to be looked over by more people.

... So! Any questions?

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Sword Daughter - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#2 Postby hanako » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:08 pm

... I know there's a lot less to say about a straight VN than a complicated sim, but it would be nice to hear from those of you who've been buying it :) Is it running okay? Are you managing to get the achievements?

BloomingLilac

#3 Postby BloomingLilac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am

I just bought it, and I'll be sure to let you know if I have any problems. :)

Foelhe

#4 Postby Foelhe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Did a thorough playthrough, since you needed feedback. Far as I can tell, everything's working as intended. And I have all the achievements, so unless I missed a typo somewhere you should be good.

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Postby hanako » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you! :)

Probably do an official release next week, get past the end of new years sales first.

Return to “Sword Daughter”