Hanabira - New Games In Production

Quest for adventure with 22 endings to find! - A retro gamebook re-envisioned as a gorgeous visual novel.
hanako
Site Admin

Hanabira - New Games In Production

#1 Postby hanako » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 pm

In more secret news... we're working on a new game. However, this is not one that should take too much time out of existing development schedules, because it's a straight VN and the script is already written - and not by me! This will be the first test in a new offshoot range of games I'm publishing but not writing myself, which will be released under a specific sub-brand ('hanabira' - petals. Appropriate for a hanako offshoot, no? And for those of you who've just gone "But that's..." YES, I KNOW.)

What I can tell you right now:

It's otome
It's fantasy
It's not terribly long (and will probably be about $5 on release)

More news coming eventually when things are further along. :)

SerTabris

Re: New Brand...

#2 Postby SerTabris » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:51 am

In what sense or senses do you mean 'straight' here? Multiple interpretations come to mind.

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Postby hanako » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 am

Heh. In that case I meant that there's nothing to it but reading and making choices, no extra gameplay mechanics, so it doesn't require Spiky doing any complicated code when he should be busy with other things. :)

... I mean, it IS straight GxB as well, but that's not what makes a difference to dev time!

(Which doesn't mean that future projects under the same sub-brand will be exactly the same, I'm mostly sub-branding to indicate that I did not personally write the story.)

Spandex Faffy

#4 Postby Spandex Faffy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 pm

hanako wrote:... I mean, it IS straight GxB as well, but that's not what makes a difference to dev time!

:roll: What do you mean, we all know that if you code both boys AND girls in a game development takes twice as long. :roll:

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Postby hanako » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:21 am

For loyal forum visitors, a super sneak peek at the first hanabira title...

ark99k

#6 Postby ark99k » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Oh my goodness! The character art is amazing! :shock:
★Shining like a star!★

kyoli

#7 Postby kyoli » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 pm

that artwork looks absolutely amazing!!!

FantasyFan

#8 Postby FantasyFan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Gorgeous!

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Hanabira - New Games In Production

#9 Postby hanako » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 pm

You wanted some more information, right?

This game is all about Tyrna, a girl who's spent her life dreaming of fame and adventure and treasure and all that good stuff. So the last thing she ever wanted to do was fall in love, because then she might wind up married with kids and never have a chance to slay dragons! After years of self-training, she's on her way to enroll in the warrior elite and begin her glorious career, when the caravan she's traveling with is attacked...

As mentioned, I did not write the plot. This is actually a licensed adaptation of a 1980's fantasy gamebook - not from the choose-your-own-adventure line, but a similar sort of thing. Which means there are lots of choices and every choice branches the story, so there are a LOT of endings and ways for this to turn out. (And that's also why I'm not saying the name of it until it's finished, so you don't get too tempted to go buy the book and then not be interested when the VN version is done!)

Along the way, you may meet:

A stern elven ranger

A friendly desert guide

A dispossessed prince

A mad wizard

Or you might not meet them at all! You might just get eaten by monsters and die an ignominious death. Turn back to page 1 and try again?

FantasyFan

#10 Postby FantasyFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm

A LOT of branches and endings? Sounds like my kind of game!

M_Keith

#11 Postby M_Keith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

Will this be available on Steam?

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Postby hanako » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 am

Ask Steam. :)

More practically - maybe, eventually? But it will certainly be released here first. After all, this is a project that's not currently involving Spiky, but Spiky does the Steam integration. And I need em doing other things right now!

Miakoda

#13 Postby Miakoda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 pm

This is actually a licensed adaptation of a 1980's fantasy gamebook - not from the choose-your-own-adventure line, but a similar sort of thing. Which means there are lots of choices and every choice branches the story, so there are a LOT of endings and ways for this to turn out. (And that's also why I'm not saying the name of it until it's finished, so you don't get too tempted to go buy the book and then not be interested when the VN version is done!)

I have a good idea of what book it is...and let me say, it is a good one for a computer adaptation :)

I will certainly purchase the game when available. As for being on Steam, I'd love to see it there, but then again, I also am a fan of the Choice of Games text adventures available as well.

Oki

#14 Postby Oki » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:51 am

Oh I havent been to the Hanako site in awhile I wonder what they have in st-

*dies*

Bookwyrm70

#15 Postby Bookwyrm70 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Ever since I read the Lord of the Rings I have always fantasized about getting to know Legolas. The Elvin Ranger has already hooked me.

Return to “Sword Daughter”