Stress

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Sojiko

Stress

#1 Postby Sojiko » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:18 am

I'm not sure that increasing Loyalty is all that useful for managing Stress, but that's probably because I don't really get how this mechanic works. Not that I think it's useless, just not very important.

From what I've been able to tell, sending a minion on a mission give them 5 points of Stress while letting them rest reduce Stress by 10. Some events change their stress during the week (like exam weeks) and they can ditch stress during weekends (it appears somewhat random, I've had girl leave with the same Stress on Friday and come back with different values on Monday).

Is there any difference from a girl taking a day off due to excessive stress and simply letting them rest? Looks like both just remove 10 Stress.

If you look at Stress the other way around as an Energy resource your minion spend on actions, then Loyalty is the max value for their energy. They work until they no longer have any energy then have to rest for a week to recover 10 points which can be used to take 2 actions. Essentially, once you've maxed out a girl's stress bar, it doesn't matter that it's 20 or 50, they rest for a week and are 10 points below their breaking point again; regardless of whether they could lose another 10 or 40 points, they both only have 10 "energy points" to work with.

Having higher Loyalty is only useful if you somehow don't have worthwhile mission for them and they happen to accumulate a lot of energy. Or to use the game terms, increasing a minion's Loyalty lets her accumulate more Stress but that only makes a difference if they are lucky enough to shed more Stress than their old Loyalty score. For example if you get a Minion to Loyalty 40 but they never go below 10 Stress, it means that 30 loyalty would have been just as good to manage Stress.

That's relevant when you finish all the week's cases early and use the time to prepare for the next rush of assignments. And I suppose that weekend can end up giving significant amount of energy that would require enough Loyalty to be properly accumulated. But that doesn't seem to matter a lot. The minions I didn't give much loyalty to (25~30) almost never miss it for Stress management, I almost never need them to accumulate more energy that they can handle.

So are there mechanics that I've been missing to manage Stress? Especially important would be event that resets a girl's Stress to 0, for example.

Franka

Re: Stress

#2 Postby Franka » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm

It's been a while, so I could be mistaken about things, but...

Holidays will reset all Stress, and they typically occur right after a huge case load, so you'll be very glad that you had the opportunity to push Rowan, and your other important girl, to their limits.

I have the distinct feeling that you relieve more Stress over the weekend later on, or at least have the chance to, but my memory is a bit hazy on that point.

Many cases will start out with the need for Rowan to exhaust herself Searching and Stalking, then let other minions take over for the Questioning and Harassment. You'll be really glad that you don't have to be forced to take breaks with Rowan but can push her to do 6+ actions in a row, then let her rest up afterwards. You don't want forced downtime, you'll want to schedule downtime for when other tasks are needed. Superior Rowan time management is key to success.

Let's not forget the importance of Loyalty come the final boss, but that's not exactly Stress related.

Anywonder, an important thing to note is that there is high redundancy when it comes to social skills, so low Loyalty on a minion whose primary schtick is Questioning is less of an issue than low Loyalty on Rowan, because you'll almost always have a backup. The other important thing is that the case solving action will most often be a single use of something like Intimidation, so you won't get much Stress from that one action, while Rowan got maxed out laying the groundwork. For these reasons, 25-30 Loyalty will almost always be more than enough for anyone whose name doesn't start with an "R".

Of course, once you try for the harder achievements, where you have 2-3 minions to finish the game, high Loyalty and perfectly managing Stress becomes extremely important for all your minions.

Return to “Black Closet”