Updates (versions 1.1 to 1.1.19) - Includes EASY MODE

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Spiky Caterpillar

Updates (versions 1.1 to 1.1.19) - Includes EASY MODE

#1 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 am

Changes between 1.1 and 1.1.11

New Features:
* Teacher's Pet mode added. It limits your cases to one a week and adds an extra training point for all cases closed with grades higher than F.
* Actions that take several rolls (like Search) now grey out the messages pertaining to previous rolls, which should make it a little clearer what roll goes with what text. If you see any leftover actions that don't grey things out when you think they should, let us know.
* Odds should now be colourized and spaced out a little better.

Crash fixes:
* Unsuspending students in a couple of gambling variants should no longer crash.
* "global name 'httplib' is not defined" crash when an error occurs during update fixed. (Note: if you're getting this crash repeatedly, you should request a new installer. The crash can also be caused by problems with your network connection or firewall software)
* Unsuspending your informant in one Shock To The System variant should no longer crash.

Other fixes:
* Saved games should now store difficulty more reliably. Previously, they would only contain a difficulty setting if it had been changed after the game was started.
* Vonne no longer takes Mallory's lines after watching The Dragon's Pilot.
* An error message during save made clearer.
* The messages for persuasion and harrassment in a couple A Delicate Blossom variants have been cleaned up.
* Now lets you upload a save if it jumped to a non-loadable location for some reason. (I think saves with non-loadable locations are rare, but the upload option will let you correct me if I'm wrong.)
* Errors while saving should now be clearer about where they occurred.
* Vince no longer in random student names.
* Better logging for one of the graffitti cases.
* Cleaner handling when loading games that were somehow saved in an invalid location.

Behind the scenes:
* Debug messages trimmed.
* A lot of tweaks to the as-yet-unplayable plotless/custom minion mode. (Which is also why we've gone through eleven versions without taking anything out of alpha)
* Some code cleanup.
* As usual, fixes to several crashes introduced by the new features.

Other things worth noting:
Sometimes, when unsuspending, you'll get a pile of messages warning you about missing images. These aren't going to break your game, but it's worth reporting them when they occur so we'll know where we should clean up the display a little.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: New Beta content + bugfixes (post 1.1)

#2 Postby hanako » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 am

Since the big parts aren't always clear in Spiky's pile of information, we are now testing EASY MODE.

If you've been playing the game and making no headway, please have a look at the new difficulty setting and see how you get on with it.

Dragondave17

Re: New Beta content + bugfixes (post 1.1)

#3 Postby Dragondave17 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Not sure where to report bugs and similar things (long time beta-tester and game-breaker), anyway here goes.

edit: new version 1.11
Well I feel silly after downloading the update, I didn't find any bugs in 1.11
(I think there was a grading related bug based on maxing karma/school rep in 1.1, but it looks like it was already fixed by the time I found it, and I'm receiving * grades again).

edit2: playing on "normal"(loaded dice/see results), with 100/100 karma/rep 2nd playthrough. edit3: tested for school rep as well as karma (A Delicate Blossom) and it all went fine.

edit4: I redid the "Mountain & Molehill" task from a previous task, and it gave me 11 Karma(to cap) instead of 25 and an A grade again. Maybe it's just that task.

Feature Request:
Can we have the option to pull up the calendar to check for special dates, and not just at the start of a week? I have a bad memory.
Last edited by Dragondave17 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phoenixgirl

Re: New Beta content + bugfixes (post 1.1) - Includes EASY M

#4 Postby phoenixgirl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:47 am

I don't have any bugs to report but I have been trying out easy mode and it is a lot more doable to solve the cases now. ^^

Bought the game a few days ago and am enjoying it immensely. :D

Franka

#5 Postby Franka » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:19 pm

I tried easy mode, for the heck of it. I failed a LOT of cases (more than usual), and had several cases where expulsion was the only way out. By the ending, I had many more skill points than I usually do though, but I needed many items to solve the traitor case since my stats were very low at that point in the game. I don't think I was able to solve it until I was already far along the steam tunnels case.

In other news, Rowan's romance path seems more complete now than what I remember from the first time playing it.

hanako
Site Admin

#6 Postby hanako » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Yeah, there were several Rowan scenes that were not showing up in early builds and I think you played through her route before we figured out that they were missing.

Darksilverhawk

#7 Postby Darksilverhawk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:03 pm

If I still have the old beta installer, can I install that and patch up the current version, or am I better off getting a fresh installer?
I had to re-image my hard-drive yesterday, much fun was had.

hanako
Site Admin

#8 Postby hanako » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Well, it won't hurt to try, and if you were able to upgrade without forcible intervention in the past it may still work. The real problem hits a handful of people who have a combination of the earliest installers, the operating system that didn't like those early installers, and have never upgraded.

Also, if you have your license key you should be able to upgrade straight from a new demo install as well, if your connection is up to it.

Darksilverhawk

#9 Postby Darksilverhawk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Huh. Well, the attempt to upgrade from the beta installer didn't work- as far as I can tell, because I no longer had gpg installed. It immediately threw an error at me and crashed to desktop when I tried to install (the?) gpg.

Well, I tried again on the demo (updating from demo to full 1.1) and it crashed again. When I tried to upload the traceback, it prompted me to download gpg again and this time it seemed successful. I think I got the traceback through, and I tried again and it seems to have downloaded correctly.

Though- puzzlingly- it never asked for my license key. It said I would need one to upgrade but it upgraded without me ever inputting it. edit: I did enter it when trying to update from the beta installer, but then I uninstalled that version before installing the demo. Is it left on the system?

hanako
Site Admin

#10 Postby hanako » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:32 am

The license key is stored elsewhere so just uninstalling wouldn't remove it.

Queenlands

#11 Postby Queenlands » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 am

How do I update this game? I bought it from Hanako's website and got the order through BMT. Will I get emailed with updates or what? :cry:

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Postby hanako » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:21 am

Go to the Options menu. There's an Updates button on the left-hand side. From there you can check for new patches.

You'll have to specifically say if you want to look at beta patches, which are still being tested, otherwise it will only offer you the patches that are considered to be stable.

Don't download Alpha patches unless we specifically tell you to - that's usually stuff Spiky and I are working on and is likely to crash. We don't put it into beta until after I've played it.

You'll need the license key from your original download email in order to access patches.

baldersen

#13 Postby baldersen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 pm

I had a minor bug playing with version 1.1 in the case down in the underground. The lower toilets mention slave offering.

hanako
Site Admin

#14 Postby hanako » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 pm

ah, looks like a tag didn't clear from an earlier case. thanks!

FantasyFan

#15 Postby FantasyFan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Well, the easy mode seems to be working for me (at long last I can finally progress into the second semester!). It's still pretty challenging, though, but I'd say it offers just the right amount of challenge.

Return to “Black Closet”