Modding

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Samupo

Modding

#1 Post by Samupo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello,
I would like to know if modders have an easy way to add new content or alter the one that is currently in?
Some examples could be:
  • - A whole new case.
    - Adding an item.
    - Change the main plot.
For what I've seen in the game data most of the visual content can be changed easily and there's a supply.txt file with item information.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Modding

#2 Post by hanako » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:31 pm

On a technical basis it's not terribly difficult to write mods and drop them into the game folder to override the way it currently works, IF you understand the game code well enough to rewrite it. However, that's only currently an option for the handful of people who know how to extract the source code, can read it, and can figure out changes to it.

I would personally discourage modding at this point in time because the game is still having a lot of tweaks and additions made, and dropping mod code on top of them can get messy. There are only a small number of mods in circulation for Long Live The Queen, but when they run into errors (and they do) all the user can do is upload the traceback, which goes to US. And we didn't write the mod and can't fix it. And the user doesn't know if it's a mod bug or a game bug, and gets sulky that things aren't working as expected... And, as I said, we're still adding a lot of stuff now, so if you did write an overwrite, it might not work the way you expected it to as new features and content were added.

Once the main game is more stable, we may come up with some tools to make it easier to add certain kinds of custom content, but adding cases is a little tricky because there's so much code involved. A simple way to add items might be more possible. I'm honestly not sure whether that supplies.txt file is still being used for anything at all (have to wait for Spiky to answer that) - I don't think just adding text to that file will give you new items.

One of the things we're working on at the moment is the custom campaign mode, which will allow you a simple way to make your own characters and play without the main storyline. Once that reaches beta we'll be talking about adding more features to it. I was already thinking about giving it the option to enable/disable 'silly' cases (weird things that don't fit into the main game, like the vampire case) - we may be able to put in switches for loading other kinds of user content. However, that's all hypothetical right now because custom mode is not available yet.

In general we want to support modders and will be happy to make small changes and give instructions to help out, when the base game is more stable.

tl;dr

- It's possible to mod things, but not super-easy
- It's probably not a good idea right now
- Talk to us more about suggestions when custom campaign mode is in beta

Samupo

Re: Modding

#3 Post by Samupo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks for the information.

I'll keep some ideas written so when the game is stable I can make a couple of mods in a latter date.