New Case Suggestions

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

New Case Suggestions

#1 Postby hanako » Thu May 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Disclaimer: I am not adding new cases right now, because right now we're doing the art upgrade and then working on the custom game mode. However, I do plan to add some more cases eventually, and I'm willing to listen to ideas.

Submitted ideas are not guaranteed to make it in!

Some general guidelines for random cases:

1. Must be something that can believably happen within the school setting. The Student Council cannot investigate bank robberies.

2. Must be possible for case failure to cause a scandal. Not every variant of every case does lead to a scandal when failed, of course, but at least some variant should be scandalous in order to be worth assigning to the council. That means some outcome needs to be something that the public would be upset or gossipy about. Two girls calling each other names in the cafeteria isn't scandalous because nobody outside the school really cares. A girl laughing until she pees herself doesn't reflect badly on the school, so it's not a scandal.

3. Must not require the minions to target a teacher. The student council does not have authority over teachers. This means student/teacher romance cannot be a case, even though it would be scandalous.

You don't need to try and suggest all the details for variations and the like, that's my job. This is just a place to toss out concepts for cases if you have an idea you'd like to see the Student Council investigate. And, of course, if your case suggestions have some possibility of causing the school to GAIN reputation, you could be giving yourself a bonus in the long run!

somestrangecircus

Re: New Case Suggestions

#2 Postby somestrangecircus » Thu May 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Maybe one where a girl is sneaking a boy in from the outside. I mean, like Mallory said, they can't all be gay. This seems like it would more be a variant of some already existing case, though.

LateWhiteRabbit

#3 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

What about a case where the council has to investigate whether or not a senior and a freshman are "just friends" or in a potentially illegal and scandalous relationship, and shut it down or eliminate gossip about it if not true? You already have a similar template from Elsa doing damage control for herself. Can't imagine those rich donor and ambassador fathers would be too happy about news of their little girl's les-yay status with a legal adult getting out, or vice-versa. And of course, it would be scandalous to the school as well.

For another one, and this might be too close to the drug cases (or could be used as a variant), or maybe even obsolete in this day and age of the Internet, but maybe a case where the girls are passing around and selling and receiving erotic material? In my school growing up, there was a whole underground market for erotic material starting at about the 5th-6th grade and moving up. In the all-boys settings I've been in, it's been rampant, but again, this was 20+ years ago and dealt with actual photographs and magazines. Maybe someone who attended an all-girls setting can chime in if the same applies there. Maybe the school has a particularly aggressive firewall?

And I don't have any specific ideas at the moment, but it would be fun to have more cases where a rival school is up to trouble on campus, like when the council had to guard the statue before the big game.

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Postby hanako » Thu May 28, 2015 10:27 pm

If there was a black market selling such things on my campus, I missed it, but that's entirely possible. :) The only time I ever heard about erotic pictures at school was during some of the senior-prank shenanigans, one of which supposedly involved pages torn out of Playgirl being posted all over lockers and in the bathrooms. Supposedly, I say, because when I heard about it I also heard that they'd all been taken down very quickly by the teachers and almost no one had actually seen them.

grommile

#5 Postby grommile » Thu May 28, 2015 10:42 pm

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:For another one, and this might be too close to the drug cases (or could be used as a variant), or maybe even obsolete in this day and age of the Internet, but maybe a case where the girls are passing around and selling and receiving erotic material?

Seems like it has some resonance with a certain variant of "Cell Phone Madness".

LateWhiteRabbit

#6 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Thu May 28, 2015 10:44 pm

hanako wrote:If there was a black market selling such things on my campus, I missed it, but that's entirely possible. :) The only time I ever heard about erotic pictures at school was during some of the senior-prank shenanigans, one of which supposedly involved pages torn out of Playgirl being posted all over lockers and in the bathrooms. Supposedly, I say, because when I heard about it I also heard that they'd all been taken down very quickly by the teachers and almost no one had actually seen them.

I'm having a feeling its probably more of "boy" thing, than a "girl" thing. We had "dealers" that sold stuff (presumably nicked from their fathers) and transported around in false-paneled Trapper Keepers (now I'm pinning down the date on the era, aren't I? :lol: ). They parted with pages for a few dollars apiece, or whole magazines for substantially more allowance money. In the most clever methods involved, they would sell thick ink pens, that when unscrewed would reveal a page neatly folded around the ink reservoir. They would even take orders for specific genre material if you where patient. I, uh, know all about this from a "friend" of course. It isn't like I skipped buying lunch once a week throughout junior high or anything .... :oops:

And I'll slink away now that I've skeeved everyone out with the knowledge that 10-11 year old boys run (or ran) underground "erotic material" businesses for lunch money.

silentheartsong

#7 Postby silentheartsong » Fri May 29, 2015 1:01 am

A case where girls are sneaking into classrooms and having sex. Maybe even orgies.

You KNOW it would happen.

LateWhiteRabbit

#8 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Fri May 29, 2015 1:20 am

silentheartsong wrote:A case where girls are sneaking into classrooms and having sex. Maybe even orgies.

You KNOW it would happen.

Hanako is going to think we're all perverts at this rate. (Is there a variant of the Nude Picture Cell Phone case where the girl in the picture DOESN'T know about it, or willingly spread the picture herself as 'art'? Because in every game I've played, each time I question the girl in the photo she is 100% all the time cool with it, like "Yeah. Totes me. Sexy aren't I? Gonna be a model." and not "OMG. This is awful. They snapped that while I was in the shower! I'm so embarrassed." Just wondering. Seems weird if the girl is always an exhibitionist.)

I am curious on what the school's stance on all the les-yay subtext going around is. Like Mallory says at one point, it seems to pretty out in the open, to the point where she is offended when they start whispering that she's gay, and it seems her impression is one of "they're one to talk!".

Perhaps it is all meant to be "Romantic Two Girl Friendships" or "Class S" relationships in the Japanese parlance? But then, Thais does seem to used to girls making romantic gestures towards her sister, and her sister certainly seems to have a reputation as a womanizer and heart breaker.

Oooh. Maybe you could have some more Red Mask cases, where you perhaps help collect blackmail information on prominent students for future use by the Society?

Or a secret school 'fight club". Girls start showing up with bruises to class - is it an accident - did they walk into a door frame? Or are they going to break the first two rules of "fight club" when you Harass them? Plenty of opportunity for Stalking and Suspending ring leaders! Isolated cat fight, or organized fight? Willing participant, or bullied into it?

Darksilverhawk

#9 Postby Darksilverhawk » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 am

What if some sort of student-run news organization, official or otherwise, got a hold of some potentially scandalous pictures/information and were preparing to publish them, and much like in the cell phone or artist cases you'd need to determine what the information is and stop it from going to print if necessary? (And maybe sometimes they could be preparing a secret report that actually reflects quite positively on the school and earns reputation?)

I've also been thinking about some sort of student black market, but can't think of anything that would be scandalous for them to be trading that isn't already covered in Just Say No. My schools always had something that was technically against the rules that students would trade under the table, but they were always pretty mundane things, at least to my knowledge.

Franka

#10 Postby Franka » Fri May 29, 2015 11:01 am

Trying to mine my own boarding school experiences for something that was potentially scandalous, but not too dark for this game...

Something involving arson, accidental or otherwise (seems like a vandal variant). There would always be somebody a li-ittle too fond of flames, whether burning themselves with matches or cigarettes, or looking for the right bush to set alight. One person filled their mouth with gasoline and tried to spit fire. We called her "Freda Krueger" for months afterwards...

Shared showers was a horrible place to be, a playground for bullies and the greatest place to cultivate your low self esteem. If we’d had smart phones back then... brrrr...

We had a school hockey fight where my entire team eschewed school uniforms and showed up wearing heavy metal T-shirts (Shock to the System?). I was also wearing my psychedelic neon green sneakers with smiley faces. :D That was hilarious, but fairly unpopular with the school staff.

Mirroring what others are saying, a girl, two doors down from me, snuck boys into her room pretty much every weekend (a new one every week too). They mostly were recruits from the military barracks outside town.

People "vanishing" during school/class outings were a fairly common occurrence. They’d turn up in strange places too. At one time the missing were seriously dumb enough to have taken a wrong turn and ended up on a farm, begging for help... there was a search party and everything. I’m not too proud to say that I got lost once too, during a "survival trip", but at least I found my own way back.

Training for this "survival trip" (which was an annual thing) was sometimes taken a little too seriously. I got into a fight with someone for laughing at them when running into them on the school grounds, dressed in military fatigues and hiding behind bushes. That reminds me, one person would also dress up as a ninja and hide around school and spy on people. That might have been somewhat scandalous if discovered (well, more like childish, but in another place maybe).

There was this one girl who pretty much wanted to be choked. She’d fool others into these "games" where they’d squeeze her chest until she passed out. A little dark for a Secret Society, but hey, real life.

Speaking of real life, I’ll bypass the suicide, rape and all that, stuff that did happen, but is further on the dark side than what this game does.

grommile

#11 Postby grommile » Fri May 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Franka wrote:Something involving arson, accidental or otherwise (seems like a vandal variant). There would always be somebody a li-ittle too fond of flames, whether burning themselves with matches or cigarettes, or looking for the right bush to set alight.

Isn't there already an incendiary variant of the vandal case? (I can't tell, I usually end up expelling the girl with a stash of lighter fuel because I've never been able to punish her effectively.)

hanako
Site Admin

#12 Postby hanako » Fri May 29, 2015 2:04 pm

There is an arson variant, yes.

Franka

#13 Postby Franka » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm

I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't remember.

Franka

#14 Postby Franka » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Are there any cases involving some sort of blackmail?

ElsabethK

#15 Postby ElsabethK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 pm

I have a few ideas for new cases.
-Unusually high internet usage. Some possible results are students using video chat to call home, legal streaming shows, online gaming, something to do with research for class, or the student doing adult video calls to get more money
-Students are putting on a play or musical. The council needs to make sure that it is appropriate. Maybe they need to check to make sure it is a certain version of the play, that it is the play they are saying it is or prevent sabotage?
-Paranoid student. Student is daughter of someone important like an ambassador, business owner, or maybe minor overseas royality? Student becomes convinced that someone is out to get them. Some results could be to convince the student that nothing is wrong or find out who is out to get them before it happens. I'm totally thinking of Elodie with this suggestion.
-Student's medication goes missing. It could end with the student misplacing it, the student trading/selling it or another student taking it for recreational use/selling.

Return to “Black Closet”