Where Are The Cheats?

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Ariel Schnee

Where Are The Cheats?

#1 Post by Ariel Schnee » Sun May 17, 2015 5:17 am

Where are the cheat codes and how do we use them in this game now?
Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Ariel Schnee, twin sister of Weiss Schnee. And Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Where Are The?

#2 Post by hanako » Sun May 17, 2015 10:58 am

What cheat codes?

What would they even do?

We could probably manufacture some manner of cheat to give bonus skill points to level up, but if you've played the game, there's sort of a big problem with cheating your way through the first few months - if you make your minions always succeed, how would you ever figure out who the traitor is? :)

Ariel Schnee

#3 Post by Ariel Schnee » Sun May 17, 2015 5:19 pm

hanako wrote:What cheat codes?

What would they even do?

We could probably manufacture some manner of cheat to give bonus skill points to level up, but if you've played the game, there's sort of a big problem with cheating your way through the first few months - if you make your minions always succeed, how would you ever figure out who the traitor is? :)
Well I was thinking codes to increase "Council Karma" and "School Reputation" so that I could adjust what they are and not have to worry about them hitting zero all time.

The extra training points code sounds good to now.

As for the traitor, they would deliberately mess up no matter how skilled they are... which would make it easy to tell who the traitor is as they would be the only one messing up that much on purpose.
Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Ariel Schnee, twin sister of Weiss Schnee. And Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

hanako
Site Admin

#4 Post by hanako » Sun May 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Neko Hibiki wrote: As for the traitor, they would deliberately mess up no matter how skilled they are... which would make it easy to tell who the traitor is as they would be the only one messing up that much on purpose.
This is incorrect. If you gave the traitor huge skills, they would not be able to fail.

If you gave every character 100s in all stats, you would have just made the game unwinnable, because there would be no way to find the traitor.

Ariel Schnee

#5 Post by Ariel Schnee » Sun May 17, 2015 8:14 pm

hanako wrote:
Neko Hibiki wrote: As for the traitor, they would deliberately mess up no matter how skilled they are... which would make it easy to tell who the traitor is as they would be the only one messing up that much on purpose.
This is incorrect. If you gave the traitor huge skills, they would not be able to fail.

If you gave every character 100s in all stats, you would have just made the game unwinnable, because there would be no way to find the traitor.
Ah. Okay. I'd still like the "Council Karma" and "School Reputation" codes though.
Signature

Franka

#6 Post by Franka » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 pm

But... but... but... the best reputation/karma code is learning to solve the cases...

Ok, I'll shut up now. :wink:

I'll jump in with a possible suggestion then:

A code to show or even set loyalty (after choosing your queen)?

hanako
Site Admin

#7 Post by hanako » Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 pm

The loyalty can be seen on the minion cards, although it's pretty easy to overlook. When you click on a small card on the assignments screen, a bigger version of that card appears next to the card tray - where you get item descriptions and so on? For minions, it shows their loyalty and stress numbers.

grommile

#8 Post by grommile » Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 am

Cheat codes I would want, if I wanted cheat codes:
  • Get a free card from the supplies closet (variant: get a specific free card from the supplies closet).
  • Set a minion's Stress to zero
  • Set the traitor (since which story content you can get in a given playthrough is determined by who the traitor is, and startscumming isn't just boring, but tedious).
The game is fine without 'em, though.

zeru57

#9 Post by zeru57 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 am

Neko Hibiki wrote:Where are the cheat codes and how do we use them in this game now?
Wow. Just wow.

Franka

#10 Post by Franka » Mon May 18, 2015 8:26 am

hanako wrote:The loyalty can be seen on the minion cards, although it's pretty easy to overlook. When you click on a small card on the assignments screen, a bigger version of that card appears next to the card tray - where you get item descriptions and so on? For minions, it shows their loyalty and stress numbers.
Bloody, bloody hell! Why have I never noticed this? Just a set loyalty cheat then...

And now that I see it, too late for suggestions(?), but how about portraits that change according to loyalty/relationship? I want a crazy Vonne portrait on that card! Sorry, wrong thread for suggestions, but... damn, I've been missing (and also missing) this all the time I've played!

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Post by hanako » Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Neko Hibiki wrote: Ah. Okay. I'd still like the "Council Karma" and "School Reputation" codes though.
I'm actually considering adding a third difficulty level which prevents game-overs from running out of karma or rep.

This would give you a less stressful game mode to practice in, while not (much) falsely inflating how well you're doing. You'd still see that your stats were low and still suffer the consequences of that.

Thoughts?

Darksilverhawk

#12 Post by Darksilverhawk » Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 pm

hanako wrote:
I'm actually considering adding a third difficulty level which prevents game-overs from running out of karma or rep.

This would give you a less stressful game mode to practice in, while not (much) falsely inflating how well you're doing. You'd still see that your stats were low and still suffer the consequences of that.

Thoughts?
Hmmm. On the one hand, having a game mode where you can fully feel out all the case types without consequences for failure would be AWESOME. I think it's easy in this game to fall into complacent strategies for the various case types based on what worked the first few times; taking risks and approaching things differently to find a better way through a case is often a calculated risk you don't have any real incentive to take. After all, what if I get a bunch of really tough cases and need that karma later?

On the other hand, that risk is important as you're learning to play. If you can't fail, there's no real reason for me as a player to make those difficult choices and learn how to investigate the cases. If there's no risk of losing due to karma loss, I'd be more likely to just try to brute force through everything rather than actually investigate. Maybe have it as an unlockable for some reasonably high-level task? Not just clearing the game, but maybe it could be a "easy play" mode unlocked by completing the CG gallery or half the checklist or something- something where the player has already proven they can play the game well, and as such is rewarded with an extra tool to play with.

(As an aside, a way to set the traitor would also be awesome.)

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Where Are The Cheats?

#13 Post by hanako » Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, there will probably be a "set the traitor" mode unlockable after winning the game - eventually.

The other thing I'm not sure about when to unlock is the non-campaign mode. Since the ideas for that include being able to set how many weeks to play for and how many cases to have per week, it would in some ways make a decent training mode as well as a challenge mode. But to be useful for training, it would need to unlock very early.

somestrangecircus

Re: Where Are The Cheats?

#14 Post by somestrangecircus » Thu May 21, 2015 12:02 am

That would be awesome...I only ever seem to get Althea or Mallory as the traitor; I got Vonne once and as far as I know I've never gotten Thaïs or Rowan.

Ariel Schnee

#15 Post by Ariel Schnee » Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am

hanako wrote:
Neko Hibiki wrote: Ah. Okay. I'd still like the "Council Karma" and "School Reputation" codes though.

Thoughts?
Hope to see that version soon now.^_^
Signature