The Big Secret - Art Poll

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Franka

Re: The Big Secret - Art Poll

#16 Postby Franka » Tue May 26, 2015 8:27 am

Hmmm.... I can't decide.

hanako
Site Admin

#17 Postby hanako » Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 am

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Don't hurt me, but ... are the random student cards going to get new faces? ::runs away::

Don't know. It wasn't as high a priority, because they're just randoms. Neither they nor Red Mask Lady are on the current list of things to do.

LateWhiteRabbit

#18 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 pm

hanako wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Don't hurt me, but ... are the random student cards going to get new faces? ::runs away::

Don't know. It wasn't as high a priority, because they're just randoms. Neither they nor Red Mask Lady are on the current list of things to do.

I don't think the Red Mask Lady needs replacing. I just noticed when using Sprite Set 2 that suddenly there is a large disconnect between the council member faces and the student faces. Just completely different styles suddenly right next to each other. But I don't really know how many different student faces there are, so I don't know how much of a hassle that would be to replace them.

But I'm quite thrilled with the new council sprites!

silentheartsong

#19 Postby silentheartsong » Fri May 29, 2015 12:54 am

Franka wrote:Hmmm.... I can't decide.

I haven't seen Vonne's yandere face yet....Wow, she's a bit scary.

taupou

#20 Postby taupou » Sun May 31, 2015 7:58 am

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like the old artwork style a bit more. The new one is also very nice, but it was refreshing to see a different yet well-done style in this game genre with the first artwork version. It's good that there will be the option to select the artwork style. As a side note, my suspension of disbelief is impaired by the example pic of Thais. No way a girl at an all-girls' private school could get away with dressing like that at a school event. :lol:

Franka

#21 Postby Franka » Sun May 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Honestly, I prefer the original art style overall, but I could probably get used to the new one. As outlandish as Thaïs looks, I like that design a lot, as well as new Miss Talmage. I'm not overly fond of the other new designs. Having the choice is a mad bonus though.

Gamer

#22 Postby Gamer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:13 am

Is there any chance the art can look more anime-like? I'm not into the 3-d look to be honest.

hanako
Site Admin

#23 Postby hanako » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 am

Even if it wasn't fairly obvious that this particular game was not intended to be anime-style at any point, do you really think it's likely that I would add an entire third set of artwork? :)

IF the game becomes a huge top-selling hit AND there was a large outcry for an anime mode, then it MIGHT be possible for one to be sold as DLC.

Spiky Caterpillar

#24 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 am

... nooo... no forking the codebase...

Darksilverhawk

#25 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:42 am

I want an art style where everyone is a jellyfish. I think we need more video games set in jellyfish boarding schools in this world. actually the world does need more jellyfish boarding schools now that I think about it

hanako
Site Admin

#26 Postby hanako » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 am

.... careful, you'll tempt Spiky to slip some jellyfish into the easter eggs.

hima

#28 Postby hima » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 am

Franka wrote:Honestly, I prefer the original art style overall, but I could probably get used to the new one. As outlandish as Thaïs looks, I like that design a lot, as well as new Miss Talmage. I'm not overly fond of the other new designs. Having the choice is a mad bonus though.

Same here. The old style makes the game unique imo. I love Rowan in the old art style more. (She's my favourite!) Still, it isn't like you're replacing one with the other but giving players a choice. It would be interesting to play through the whole thing again with a completely set of art style. This reminds me that I've played a JRPG game where you can change character portrait art style from config menu anytime you want. Would be nice if we can do the same thing here.

Darksilverhawk

#29 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:05 pm

I think, after playing some more and the "ohhh, shiny!" of the new art has worn off, I think they're both equally nice. For example, I like Althea and Mallory's original sprites better, but I love Vonne and Thais's new sprites, and of the CGs I've seen so far I'm about 50/50. I like all the art, though. (and I'm secretly really glad you didn't re-do any of the background art. The background art is gorgeous!)

But, it's totally up to the player which one they use, and that's always good for the player. (Maybe not so much for the coder. Sorry, Spiky!)

Return to “Black Closet”