Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Franka

Re: Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#61 Postby Franka » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

Still showing as an Alpha build.

Montoya

#62 Postby Montoya » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:41 am

This might've been mentioned in the tutorial and just escaped my notice, but when you assign an action like questioning or harassing, it took me a while to realize that the two left-hand icons were the stations your minions used, and the two right-hand were the ones the victim used. Once I realized that, the system got a whole lot less opaque.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.32 changes

#63 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:55 am

* Now, when you Guard or Stake Out, you will generally only see a name/face associated with the opposing student if you've caught her, so it won't give away too much information. This tweaks game balance, and wasn't originally designed in, so checking carefully for bugs would be a good idea.
* Several crashes when gossipping have been fixed.
* A crash when loading some buggy saves fixed. (Still need a copy of the actual save to fix the underlying bug.)
* A minor bug in one of the Just Say No variants (it was supposed to close if you successfully guarded the room they were sneaking out from) has been fixed.
* Some debug message cleanup.
* A couple minor bugs in the vandalism variant where she's deliberately scattering trash should be fixed.
* No longer autosaves immediately after you load a saved game.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.33 changes:

#64 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:09 am

* Fix a crash when trying to autosave after starting a new game in 0.9.32.
* No longer makes multiple autosaves when you roll back and forth across the week-start screen.

Darksilverhawk

#65 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Is there supposed to be a student named "Kimberlyy" or is that a typo?

hanako
Site Admin

#66 Postby hanako » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 pm

We pulled the generator data from a giant names database - as Spiky is rather fond of weird names, we have an assortment pulled from down near the bottom of the list in popularity as well as more common ones. Which means that names which were misspelled on official records end up in the database as well.

I pull names that I think shouldn't be in there when I see them (usually it's either typoes, NAME ENTERED IN ALL CAPS FOR SOME REASON, or 'No, seriously, nobody's going to believe that's a girl's name') but the list is so huge that there are still some strange bits lurking in there. I think 'Kimberlyy' should probably come out. :)

silentheartsong

#67 Postby silentheartsong » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 am

Maybe it could be Kimberleigh. That sounds special enough.

hanako
Site Admin

#68 Postby hanako » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 am

There probably already is a Kimberleigh! And several other variants as well. It's a big list.

somestrangecircus

#69 Postby somestrangecircus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 am

"Kimberlyy" kind of reminds me of names like "Alexx" or "Maxxwell". Like that extra letter makes it a better name? I dunno.

Darksilverhawk

#70 Postby Darksilverhawk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 am

I think the unusual names are cool (very pretentious- after all, the case right after that included a girl named Queen!), Kimberlyy just looks like that particular kind of misspelling that's probably a typo. If it had been something like Kimberlyey I probably wouldn't even have noticed.

I like the Guard/Stake Out changes; it looks more like it logically should now (if your minions don't catch them to report to you, the player shouldn't be able to see them, though I swear that was how it worked with almost all the cases before anyway). There was one instance where I caught the perp but her card wasn't revealed during the check, but the text told me what I needed to know and she was available for interrogation right after so no big deal.

Bonus not-a-bug: Dang it, Briony, I thought learning magic was supposed to keep you OUT of trouble.

(Edit: I just went poking through the name database to see what else was there and wow, you've got a lot of (cool) names there. "Trouble" gave me a good giggle.)

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.34 changelog

#71 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:48 pm

* Debug messages trimmed.
* A stray 'XXX fade' message pulled.
* If the Red Mask poisons your queen, she should now actually be unavailable.
* Kimberlyy now Kimberleigh.
* A couple cosmetic tweaks to the kiss-in messages.
* The November 21st Rowan-path scenes are now actually visible.
* Rowan's extra duties should no longer leave her stuck on break if she was on break when the weekend started.

somestrangecircus

#72 Postby somestrangecircus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:11 am

So if I were to purchase this, how many computers can I download my copy to? The reason I ask is that I currently share a computer with a roommate, but obviously if we were to no longer live together, I wouldn't be able to do that anymore. So say I buy the game, download it on roommate's computer, and then five months in the future I am no longer living with roommate but I magically have my own computer to put the game on. Is there a download limit or anything like that?

hanako
Site Admin

#73 Postby hanako » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:20 am

By default, the download links automatically expire after time passes or if they're accessed from multiple locations. I can (and do) generate fresh download emails for people when they ask, but that requires them emailing me their order info, me being able to find it in the database, and send out new links.

Once there is a demo version of this game (when it finishes beta and launches) then it may be possible to upgrade any demo version to a full version by putting in your license code. We haven't actually built the demos yet so I can't promise this completely, but we did it for LLTQ. It doesn't work perfectly for all people (some people's net connections balk at downloading that much content in the game thread) but when it does work it creates an easy way to reinstall the game as long as you keep your license key email.

You can also back up the game installer yourself to copy it between computers. (Or there may eventually be disc versions available, to keep a solid copy of the installer around.)

somestrangecircus

#74 Postby somestrangecircus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:22 am

So if I bought and downloaded the game now, and then later wound up getting my own computer, I could politely request another download e-mail from Her Great Majesty Hanako?

hanako
Site Admin

#75 Postby hanako » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:25 am

Yep :)

Return to “Black Closet”