Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Rhine

Re: Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#46 Post by Rhine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 pm

It says it hasn't been detected, but when I click to install it, says "Debug(download complete)" and then "checking for signatures". It then bumps me back to the privacy options screen and says I still don't have it installed, even after closing and re-opening the game.

Also as a side note, sorry to bug y'all if this is just me being dumb.

hanako
Site Admin

#47 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 pm

Don't worry, you're being helpful! Like I said, we've had a lot less test feedback on that end of things on Macs, so we'd really like to get them working.

Spiky Caterpillar

#48 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:28 pm

It doesn't report the download progress at all?

What happens when you try to download http://updates.spikycaterpillar.com/bla ... c/gpg2.bz2 in a web browser, from the machine you're playing Black Closet on? (It should give you a savable file, 279,006 bytes long, but some firewalls and anti-malware programs will silently block download of executables.)

If you start terminal.app, what does

Code: Select all

cd ~
find Desktop/BlackCloset.app -iname \*gpg\*
output?

(Also, while I want to fix the GPG problem, if you just want to get the update NOW going into privacy settings and turning encryption off may work)

Rhine

#49 Post by Rhine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 pm

I was unclear in my earlier post, sorry. It does show the download progress, and appears to download successfully (it shows 100% completion). I can download that file fine, but the terminal commands you gave me show no result. When I type them in, nothing happens.

Spiky Caterpillar

#50 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 am

(cd ~ always just drops you back at a prompt, find will return nothing if it didn't find anything)
Is there a gpg2 in ~/Library/RenPy/BlackCloset/ ?

I've added some debugging code to 0.9.26.1 - to use it:
Turn encryption off in privacy settings.
Turn updates to alpha versions on.
Update to 0.9.26.1

Try to install GPG from the network preferences. It should now tell you where it put the file. If it goes back to network preferences without telling you where gpg2 is, then press shift-O and type

Code: Select all

unroller.gpg_err
into the console for a little more detailed information about a couple of places the error could have occurred.

Rhine

#51 Post by Rhine » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:28 am

There was no gpg2 in the Library folder. I was able to update to the alpha version and then successfully install gpg2

Spiky Caterpillar

#52 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:04 am

Cool, thanks. If it installed successfully you should be able to turn encryption back on.

(... and now I'm confused, because while I did add more debugging AFAIK the routines to install gpg should have worked on 0.9.25 if they worked on 0.9.26.1. But knowing when code is being confusing will help track down the real bug eventually)

Darksilverhawk

#53 Post by Darksilverhawk » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Tiny thing, but this happened: http://i.imgur.com/50owCzt.jpg

Darksilverhawk

#54 Post by Darksilverhawk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:37 am

The No Handbills case variant with the bug popped up again and I got screenshots this time.

Ok, so I got the case with Ericka as the victim, and the first thing I did was stake out the area: http://i.imgur.com/j2axj2h.jpg

As you can see, the result was ambiguous and it gave me the failure text like I learned nothing, but you can see Ericka there making the check against Thaïs and revealing one of her stats, revealing herself as the perpetrator.

Next day: http://i.imgur.com/2mvxwv3.jpg Ericka still has her observation stat revealed, and my options to interact with her are still the standard question/harass/stalk. I immediately harassed her and she confessed. I forgot to grab a screenshot of the case log, but it just showed the standard failure message for Thaïs not finding anything.

FractalReaper

#55 Post by FractalReaper » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 am

I am also unable to install updates or GnuPG. The traceback for installing the update mentions failure at the encryption stage, so I assume it's because I don't have GnuPG installed. Can post the traceback if that would be helpful. Here is the traceback for attempting to install GnuPG.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/network.rpy", line 334, in script
File "game/network.rpy", line 334, in <module>
File "game/network.rpy", line 299, in catalog_platform
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'tolower'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/network.rpy", line 334, in script
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 1545, in execute
if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1419, in py_eval
return eval(py_compile(source, 'eval'), globals, locals)
File "game/network.rpy", line 334, in <module>
File "game/network.rpy", line 299, in catalog_platform
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'tolower'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.9.25
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Windows 7 6.1.7601 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
crash_ignored

Should I also do an unencrypted install of alpha 9.26.1. and try again?

Spiky Caterpillar

#56 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 am

FractalReaper: I'll have that bug fixed in 0.9.27 (probably out later tonight)

FractalReaper

#57 Post by FractalReaper » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:16 am

Good to know. I'm curious, how important is it to make sure updates are installed through encrypted channels? For reference, what timezone are you in? Important for knowing what you mean by "tonight".

hanako
Site Admin

#58 Post by hanako » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am

Knowing a developer's timezone doesn't always equate to knowing when they think sleeptime is. :)

(To the best of my knowledge, it's not actually important, but I'll let Spiky answer that.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#59 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:10 am

FractalReaper wrote:Good to know. I'm curious, how important is it to make sure updates are installed through encrypted channels? For reference, what timezone are you in? Important for knowing what you mean by "tonight".
Encryption while updating isn't that important - it just conceals your license key from packet sniffers (assuming everything is working the way I think it does). The actual updates are cryptographically signed plaintext regardless of whether encryption is enabled or not, so unless someone's stolen my keys, broken DSA and RSA*, trojaned my RNG, or I've made a mistake, they should be safe to install unencrypted.

I'm in Pacific, though my definition of 'tonight' scrolls randomly around the clock. Upgrading to 0.9.27 (now in alpha, about to be beta) should fix the tolower crash when you try to install GPG.

* I'm pretty sure that quantum machines capable of breaking RSA are going to find their way onto the covert market sometime between 2010 and 2025. I don't know if or to what extent quantum computing compromises DSA and ElGamal.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.27 changelog

#60 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:04 am

* Added some more debugging code for GPG downloads.
* Gossipping with students from Prancing and Pawing cases should no longer give double answers.
* Probable crashes gossipping with girls from a few case variants fixed.
* A bug where variable names wouldn't be interpolated in some special-event gossip fixed.
* A crash in the uprint() function on some systems should be fixed.
* Crash reports now include details about what version(s) of the game the save that crashed has been played in. (Making it easier to tell if I'm looking at an old-save bug or a current bug.)
* A crash downloading GPG on some systems should be fixed.
* A crash starting the traitor case when you got the traitor to confess, expelled someone else, and then offended the traitor enough that she no longer is willing to cooperate with you fixed.