Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.26 changelog:

#31 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:44 pm

* If you successfully win the traitor's loyalty, she stops bringing quite so many lemons from the supply closet.
* A crash starting the steam tunnels case fixed.
* A roll-forward command added to controllers (by default, second stick up is rollback and second stick down is roll-forward)
* Some steam tunnels gossip bugs fixed (A crash, a double-gossip bug, a noninteresting student marked as high priority for gossip.)
* A bug where students who would be reported absent due to nightmares wouldn't actually be absent unless they'd been assigned to a task the previous day has been fixed.
* Some minor spacing, code cleanup, and pixel nudging.
* ý added to font.

Darksilverhawk

Re: Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#32 Post by Darksilverhawk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:42 pm

That first line has got to be one of the funniest out of context lines I've ever seen in a changelog, right behind "alligators can no longer wear armor."

Anyway, I intend to pick this up today or tomorrow. Do you have objections to people streaming this game on Twitch while it's still in beta? It looks like it would be fun to play with viewer input, but I'm happy to hold off if you want to keep the game private until it goes live.

Kelibath

#33 Post by Kelibath » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:05 am

Just bought Black Closet in beta - I love what you did with Long Live The Queen, so I'm hoping I'll like this too!

Couple of questions:

Will my beta key cover the Steam release as well as the main release? I'd really like the achievements on Steam as well as the main game.
When I purchased it, the game was linked to my PayPal name rather than allowing me to enter my own name upon purchase. Can I change this at all? PayPal still has my maiden (unmarried) name associated with it.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

hanako
Site Admin

#34 Post by hanako » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Darksilverhawk wrote: Anyway, I intend to pick this up today or tomorrow. Do you have objections to people streaming this game on Twitch while it's still in beta? It looks like it would be fun to play with viewer input, but I'm happy to hold off if you want to keep the game private until it goes live.
We've so far had only one stream event and that was pre-arranged with some ground rules. (It was a set time worked out so that we devs could watch and get useful testing information, and the streamer agreed not to permanently archive the event or post it on youtube).

If you want to do something like that, talk to me - it's probably okay as long as we can watch and you let people know that it's still in beta. :)

hanako
Site Admin

#35 Post by hanako » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Kelibath wrote:Just bought Black Closet in beta - I love what you did with Long Live The Queen, so I'm hoping I'll like this too!

Couple of questions:

Will my beta key cover the Steam release as well as the main release? I'd really like the achievements on Steam as well as the main game.
When I purchased it, the game was linked to my PayPal name rather than allowing me to enter my own name upon purchase. Can I change this at all? PayPal still has my maiden (unmarried) name associated with it.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
I can't do anything about the internal name registration but no one will ever see that except you (and me if you need me to look it up in the database to send you a new download or something), so it doesn't really matter much, I hope?

If/when we get to steam, there will be some method for previous buyers to get free steam keys. I don't know the exact mechanism at this point. We may build another system like we did with LLTQ where you pop in your license key and get a Steam key, but I don't know yet.

Rhine

#36 Post by Rhine » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Hey, I'm getting an error that's not letting me progress the game any further. I've got the traceback below. If I try and ignore it, the basement/gossip/steamtunnels mission doesn't show. I'm gonna go cry now cause this run was going well :( Please send help

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 312, in script call
File "game/underground.rpy", line 52, in script
File "game/underground.rpy", line 53, in <module>
File "game/underground.rpy", line 150, in __init__
TypeError: IsInteresting() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/script.rpy", line 312, in script call
File "game/underground.rpy", line 52, in script
File "/Users/katiekeirstead/Desktop/BlackCloset.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 756, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/Users/katiekeirstead/Desktop/BlackCloset.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/underground.rpy", line 53, in <module>
File "game/underground.rpy", line 150, in __init__

Darwin-14.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.9.25
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Darwin 14.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0: Mon Dec 22 23:10:38 PST 2014; root:xnu-2782.10.72~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 i386
Game Time: 1 1 5
crash_ignored

Spiky Caterpillar

#37 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 am

Rhine wrote:Hey, I'm getting an error that's not letting me progress the game any further. I've got the traceback below. If I try and ignore it, the basement/gossip/steamtunnels mission doesn't show. I'm gonna go cry now cause this run was going well :( Please send help

That bug should be fixed in the newest version - to get the fix, update to 0.9.26. (If the updater doesn't work right for you, Hanako can send a new installer.)

Rhine

#38 Post by Rhine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for the tip! I'd completely missed the ability to update!

Unfortunately, it's not letting me do that either :(

Darksilverhawk

#39 Post by Darksilverhawk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm noticing that every time you load an autosave, it autosaves that same state again to a different slot. This is a problem if you need to check more than one autosave because you don't remember exactly what week you made the error you want/need to correct- I have to load one of them and hope it's either the right one or that it doesn't automatically overwrite the one I do want.

hanako
Site Admin

#40 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Rhine wrote:Thanks for the tip! I'd completely missed the ability to update!

Unfortunately, it's not letting me do that either :(
What happens when you try to update?

(While we can provide fresh installers when builds are bumped, trying to fix the update system is also useful :) You're on a Mac, right? Most of the updater debugging so far has been windows related.)

Darksilverhawk

#41 Post by Darksilverhawk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:00 pm

In No Handbills, No Flyers, I've noticed that if the girl makes the whole thing up for attention, then when guarding the area it shows the check being made against the "victim," even if the text indicates that the minion watching the area doesn't see anyone spesific. Is the question result that opens up persuade as an option supposed to imply the girl herself is the prime suspect and I'm just misinterpreting it? Or is this an oversight?

hanako
Site Admin

#42 Post by hanako » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:08 pm

In some variants she is putting up those flyers herself and you can actually catch her at it.

Darksilverhawk

#43 Post by Darksilverhawk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm

That's what I meant- she's putting up the flyers, but the text says something along the lines of "you hear footsteps, but you don't see anyone." But I see her making the check against me anyway. It looks like an interface spoiler. If I see it happen again I'll take better notes.

edit: Since I just realized there's several versions of that case, it's the one where unflattering posters about a specific girl are being put up.

Rhine

#44 Post by Rhine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes, I am on a Mac. When I try and update, I get this error

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/updater.rpy", line 959, in script
File "game/updater.rpy", line 959, in <module>
File "game/updater.rpy", line 854, in do_upgrade
File "game/updater.rpy", line 564, in step
File "game/updater.rpy", line 515, in get_catalog_yielding
File "game/updater.rpy", line 150, in retrieve_yielding
File "game/network.rpy", line 68, in encode_for_post
File "game/network.rpy", line 15, in encrypt_for_spiky
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/updater.rpy", line 959, in script
File "/Users/katiekeirstead/Desktop/BlackCloset.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 756, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/Users/katiekeirstead/Desktop/BlackCloset.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/updater.rpy", line 959, in <module>
File "game/updater.rpy", line 854, in do_upgrade
File "game/updater.rpy", line 564, in step
File "game/updater.rpy", line 515, in get_catalog_yielding
File "game/updater.rpy", line 150, in retrieve_yielding
File "game/network.rpy", line 68, in encode_for_post
File "game/network.rpy", line 15, in encrypt_for_spiky
File "gpg.py", line 278, in Encrypt
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

Darwin-14.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.9.25
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Darwin 14.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0: Mon Dec 22 23:10:38 PST 2014; root:xnu-2782.10.72~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 i386

Spiky Caterpillar

#45 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Go into the Options screen and click the Privacy Options button. Does the game say GnuPG has been detected? If not, there should be a button to install it.