Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
silentheartsong

Re: Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#136 Postby silentheartsong » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:24 am

I was also getting this error, and it was messing up my gameplay for a couple weeks then just kind of quietly resolved, outside of Ash Wednesday's case sitting around.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.50 changelog

#137 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 am

College acceptance requirements slightly tighter, and a new letter available with your acceptances.
More cleanup to detention output in the nudes case.
Rowan's extra duties stress has been twiddled slightly (though Hanako still saw a bit where she evidently didn't actually gain the stress she should have, so there's still a bug there.)
Debug messages trimmed.
Music History Classroom now uses the music room graphic.
Searching the records office in the mole case should run the right checks (we were doing two stealth instead of stealth+observation)
Searching the library in the mole case is now an overt 'Inspect' rather than 'Search'. (This change only takes effect when you unlock the library.
"NoneType has no attribute 'name'" crash in Ash Wednesday case fixed.

somestrangecircus

#138 Postby somestrangecircus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:09 am

Incidentally, what affects college acceptance? I noticed that when I had a low school reputation, I only got into two or three schools, but when I had a high reputation, I got into every school. Are there any other things that affect it, like council karma?

hanako
Site Admin

#139 Postby hanako » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:17 am

To be more specific, there should now be a special letter arriving if you chose Packard College as your first-choice school. Please do provide feedback on this scene. I'm including it for a reason, but if it turns out to backfire more than it helps, I'll pull it.

Acceptances are affected by reputation, karma, what school you picked as your first-choice school, and what your involvement with the Red Mask Society was. (Yes, they really do have fingers in a lot of places.)

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.51 changelog:

#140 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 am

* Rowan's extra duties should now set her last_action to 'Extra duties', which in turn should fix the bug where you: assign owan to do nothing on Friday; get the minions relax and unwind message; get the extra duties message; then get Rowan with 0 stress because she hadn't done anything Friday.
* Closing the Red Mask case by exposing them should no longer give a time bonus.
* Several gossippy students now refer to 'steam tunnels' rather than 'steamtunnels'.
* Fade from successful cavern exploration to black now slower.
* Art History classroom uses the art studio graphic.
* Minor code cleanup.
* RNG output now only logged when aggressive debugging is enabled. If RNG is being logged, now log case-choice output. (Irrelevant unless you're debugging the RNG.)
* Clicking through the pauses on a couple of Althea's CGs (making out at the lake, getting her tattoo) now fades onward more smoothly.
* Escape on log screens now goes back to the scheduler. Pageup and pagedown are now equivalent to the previous/next page buttons.
* Now has a line break before the personal letter from a Packard admissions officer if applicable.
* In the final battle, now displays lemon and sedative use more clearly.
* Rowan's slave path now has fewer events and a different epilogue if she did not get her revenge.
* A bug that might (I'm not sure if it ever could trigger) give you the wrong Rowan epilogue fixed. Rowan's and Vonne's epilogues now reflect the above change.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.9.58.1 changelog

#141 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Tue May 12, 2015 1:09 am

Fixes:

* Support for the wide character APIs on Windows systems. (This is a surprising amount of work, as Python 2.7 nominally doesn't support it yet.) The game should now run even if there are non-ANSI characters in your username or install path. So now you can finally install it to C:\♚\ like you've always never actually wanted to.
* The game should no longer crash if Mallory confessed being the mole and you picked another queen.
* The scenes where Vonne or Mallory warn you about Talmage are now properly skippable and no longer leak invalid variables into the persistent file.
* Crash successfully detaining one of the girls distributing nudes fixed.
* A crash in Windows where the game could sometimes try to access files in ~ fixed. (I think that crash may have been introduced by the wide character support.)
* A couple minor text bugs fixed.

New features:
* There is an 'Extra controls' option in the controller settings. If turned on, this adds a bunch of nonfunctional buttons to the screen so keyboard/joystick players can more easily navigate. (This feature may have had something to do with having to stick my tablet on the Windows test machine while working on the wide character APIs as well, thus leaving my main dev box completely mouseless.) This is currently experimental; suggested improvements are welcome.
* Escape now leaves controller settings.
* Start With Console batch file added, which will enable you to get more verbose debugging output on windows.

hanako
Site Admin

#142 Postby hanako » Tue May 12, 2015 6:42 pm

We think (hope) this version should be ready for full launch, so please, if you can, patch up to the latest beta and have a last-minute check to be sure everything's still working okay for you.

This is not the end of all content in this game! There will be post-launch updates with new art, new cases, and other fun stuff. But we need to round things out and get the game going.

Franka

#143 Postby Franka » Wed May 13, 2015 7:13 pm

So, I took the girls for a final spin. I had the worst start I have ever had in the game, first off getting a Missing School Supplies case where the supplies turned up on their own, for a measly 1 skill point, then launching into a series of Cell Phone and Suspicious Similarity cases that I couldn't finish in time, peppered with a few cases that could actually be solved at this point. In spite of that, since I got Althea as the mole (discovered on day 1, yay me), I went for the win with 2 minions scenario. Abusing the usual Power Rowan strategy, I eventually got things on track, but those were stressful weeks (for Rowan).

Good to know that it can be done even when the game stacks everything it can against you from the start though!

Everything went fine, no errors and an easier final fight with Thaïs by my side rather than Althea (loaded dice of course).

Spiky Caterpillar

1.0 changelog

#144 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Sat May 16, 2015 2:53 am

* Removed a couple of unused folder graphics.
* Fixed a bug where it could crash when setting a trap for the Red Mask with only one minion. (This appears to be related to old saves.)
* A minor bug updating .rpa files fixed.
* A crash upgrading .rpa files on Linux if the game is in a non-ASCII path has been fixed.
* A crash reporting where GPG has been saved if you installed it to a non-ASCII location (possibly Mac-only?) fixed.

Return to “Black Closet”