Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
NG14916

Re: Black Closet - Beta Testing / Discount Copies

#106 Postby NG14916 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Miakoda wrote:
NG14916 wrote:When Vonne is talking to you about medical insurance, she says "the perqs of power." Unless this is a joke that I just didn't get, it should be "perks."

Actually, perq is a proper usage of the term. Comes from the word perquisite (it is a real word, and it does mean privilege). I know in the US it is normally spelled perk, but I have seen the perq usage.

Are you sure? Perq shows up in Urban Dictionary, but not in the online versions of dictionary.com, Webster, or Oxford dictionary. If it's common slang in some areas then cool but I've never seen or read that being used, and I've read a lot of books. Even if it is correct, I think a lot of the readers will think it's a typo. Even Chrome and Microsoft Word put a red squiggly under it and think it's a typo.

hanako
Site Admin

#107 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:30 am

Honestly? I wrote perq because I was afraid if I wrote perquisite not enough people would know what I meant, or would think I had just typoed prerequisite or something. I wanted to allude to the fancier word while still being readable.

I did check to see that it was used by some people before putting it in there, but you're right that it's not commonly considered a correct spelling.

So there's the question. Which is more likely to get complaints from confused readers, perqs or perquisites?

NG14916

#108 Postby NG14916 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 am

hanako wrote:Honestly? I wrote perq because I was afraid if I wrote perquisite not enough people would know what I meant, or would think I had just typoed prerequisite or something. I wanted to allude to the fancier word while still being readable.

I did check to see that it was used by some people before putting it in there, but you're right that it's not commonly considered a correct spelling.

So there's the question. Which is more likely to get complaints from confused readers, perqs or perquisites?

In terms of complaints you're not likely to get many. I wouldn't have mentioned it myself if it wasn't in beta. But I'm guessing a lot of people will see it and get thrown off by it (very few words end in 'q' so it sticks out) but will just move on without saying anything. If they've played a game or two by you then they'll have enough faith in your writing that they'll think it might have been intentional. If it's the first game by you that they've played then they might think it was a typo. Personally, I think perk works fine even if it's not fancy enough for Vonne's speech style. The thesaurus isn't helping since I can't find any words that convey the same meaning except "bonus" or maybe "privilege" or "allowance", which aren't as fancy (though I think "allowance" would sound sort of fancy, though it's an unusual usage). "Lagniappe" would probably be less readable. If you want to use perquisite, though, I don't think that many people will be confused by it. Sure, it won't be familiar, but the context should make the meaning obvious.

Spiky Caterpillar

beta update changelog/bug reports

#109 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:30 am

* The easter egg cases can now hopefully start under other circumstances than the ones they were initially unlocked in.

* Updater improvements (otherwise known as the reason there were like, a dozen alphas with very tiny version number changes.):
** When updating an .rpa, now deletes loose files that were in the .rpa.
** When updating an .rpa, now only retrieve the part of the .rpa that's actually changed. (This will enable updating from demo to full without redownloading all the music that's already in the demo.)
** A bunch of changes to the signer and the patch server to accomodate the above.
** Piles and piles of debug messages when updating.
** Crash on some HTTP errors while updating fixed.

* =~s/perqs/perquisites/
* Vonne and Mallory should return to school on the morning of April 2nd if they were campaigning and wounded by a bomb while electioneering.
* Now actually decrease Vonne's loyalty when you reject her (previously it was reporting the loyalty loss but not displaying it.)
* Fixed a crash if you failed when guarding the classroom from students setting a bomb.
* Crashes gossipping with a goth who'd been bullied or a student who'd gotten the wrong grades due to teacher error fixed.

* Interpolation fixes:
** Successfully detaining the girl who'd been posing nude should now show her name instead of %(target)s.
** Girls who return to school in the hazing variant of the secret society now have their name interpolated.
** Log entries in the easter egg variant of the goth case should interpolate the variables.
** %(star)s now interpolated correctly when you fail while questioning the bully in one of the special event cases.

* Decrufting.
* A few strings that weren't translatable now are.

FractalReaper

#110 Postby FractalReaper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:18 am

I think that unless you go with the commonly known "perk" you will get reports of it being a typo regardless of which you use. However since you stated you want to use the fancier version, I think "perquisite" will have less people reporting it as a typo then "perq". Plenty of people don't know perq is a proper word. Even the spellchecker for this forum says it isn't correct. But most people I know either realize that "perquisite" is its own word or they think it is an interchangeable spelling of "prerequisite". This does mean that using "perquisite" will run the risk that people misunderstand it as "prerequisite" and will think the sentence means something else or that it's a mistake and you'll get a report anyway. Personally, I'm of the opinion that writers shouldn't have to dumb down their work and instead their audience should rise to meet it. Otherwise you get the Hollywood movie industry and I've come to expect Hanako games to be better written than that.

Darksilverhawk

Re: 0.9.43.1 changelog

#111 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Easter... egg... cases? Is this something I just haven't noticed?

Edit: Wait, are those the cases that show up with one of the girls sharing a name with a previous Hanako Game character? (Briony showing up as the suspect in the goth case, for example?)
Last edited by Darksilverhawk on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NG14916

#112 Postby NG14916 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm

FractalReaper wrote:I think that unless you go with the commonly known "perk" you will get reports of it being a typo regardless of which you use. However since you stated you want to use the fancier version, I think "perquisite" will have less people reporting it as a typo then "perq". Plenty of people don't know perq is a proper word. Even the spellchecker for this forum says it isn't correct. But most people I know either realize that "perquisite" is its own word or they think it is an interchangeable spelling of "prerequisite". This does mean that using "perquisite" will run the risk that people misunderstand it as "prerequisite" and will think the sentence means something else or that it's a mistake and you'll get a report anyway. Personally, I'm of the opinion that writers shouldn't have to dumb down their work and instead their audience should rise to meet it. Otherwise you get the Hollywood movie industry and I've come to expect Hanako games to be better written than that.

Good point, I hadn't considered that people might get "perquisite" confused with "prerequisite." In that case I think "privilege" or "perk" would be best to use. It's fine to have a difficult word that readers know they need to look up or figure out from context, but it's another thing if they get the wrong idea, don't think they need to look it up, and just end up confused by the conflicting context and definition. Personally I'm leaning towards "privilege" since it sounds a little fancy while being easy to understand.

somestrangecircus

#113 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 pm

This is the first I'm hearing as well...Is it just an extra special variant of a case?

hanako
Site Admin

#114 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:00 pm

There are.... things.... that Spiky wrote for fun. They are not like normal cases, and do not show up in normal case rotations.

Which means that probably no one has actually seen one.

I'll let him explain more...

skydragonwings

#115 Postby skydragonwings » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:20 pm

I raised Althea to 45 loyalty, then expelled Thais as the traitor, causing Althea's loyalty to drop by 20 (which I maybe should have realized was a flaw in my two minions plan, unless there's a way to get that loyalty back). Her stress had apparently been at 25 just before then, because the next day both her stress and loyalty were at 25, but she wasn't on break. She then went on break the next day and had normal stress/break patterns after that.

skydragonwings

#116 Postby skydragonwings » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Also, while gossiping about the steam tunnels, I just got a girl saying both "The steam tunnels? I don't know anything about those" and "I heard a rumor that there's an entrance to the steam tunnels in the lower toilets" on the same action. I do have a screenshot, but I don't know how to attach it here. I can email it to you if that would be helpful.

Spiky Caterpillar

#117 Postby Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Some of them have always been there, waiting to be unlocked. One is new, born of the stars being right and the fish being sans pril.

By default, as of 0.9.42, they can only start if you're playing on April 1 or Halloween realtime.
To allow them to start on other days, go into the debugging console (shift-O) and set

Code: Select all

eggs=1

Note: they aren't as thoroughly tested as the other cases, and there's a possibility that they'll contain game-breaking misfeatures. Save before enabling them.

hanako
Site Admin

#118 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Secondary note - please don't add hints about the WEIRD cases to the general mystery-solving pinned topic because that'll just confuse people. :) HiddenFunStuff(TM) is not really part of the game. Don't mess with this if you're still trying to learn to play the actual game!

Franka

#119 Postby Franka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm getting an error when trying to update to this version, uploaded the traceback.

Darksilverhawk

#120 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:45 pm

I got an error trying to update as well, but I closed the game and tried again and it seems to have worked. Uploaded the traceback, as well.

Return to “Black Closet”