Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

#31 Postby hanako » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:56 am

To unlock the option to expel the culprit, you need to get hold of some evidence. Guarding the location to keep them away will stop them from doing things, but also stops them from leaving clues. There are actions other than Guard which, taken at the right time, might get you better results.

Montoya

#32 Postby Montoya » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:32 am

After playing through a couple of games I've gotten pretty good at handling most cases, but I seriously fear seeing Suspicious Similarity come up- I never seem to be able to close the case, the best I can usually do is hide the evidence of cheating to prevent a scandal... if I have absolutely anything else to do, I'll prioritize it, and rely on the cheating case to eventually time out on its own.

Darksilverhawk

#33 Postby Darksilverhawk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Ugh, I hate that Suspicious Similarity variant. Here's how I usually handle that case (provided the school isn't currently devolving into a gambling ring or something):

1) Search the classroom above all else when the case first appears; the case will close early with a massive reputation hit if you don't get that cheat sheet out of there. If you find a cheat sheet, groan and cry and scream "whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" at the heavens. If the teacher shows signs of being overworked, continue down this list as well, but with less screaming and crying.
2) On that same day, question one of the girls to get it out of the way.
3) Question the rest of the girls and grumble because you don't have the resources for this.
3b) If the teacher seems overworked, just search the rooms of two girls who got the same score, and the case should close out with the teacher agreeing to re-grade the tests.
4) Find the ones with the same score, and harass/stalk one of them hoping they'll tell you who the source is. Start searching rooms of the other girls for incriminating evidence and throw them in detention as necessary, but make sure you find out who's making the things before you detain the last one. If you're lucky, it's one of the ones you're harassing/detaining anyway and she'll make herself suspicious.
5) Deal with the source of the cheating as is fit and hope the case actually closes out.

It's a massive undertaking to actually solve a cheating ring, so just hiding the evidence and hoping it doesn't get out usually is the best course of action if you have any other moderate-intensive cases going. Personally, I have similar feelings about the cell-phone madness cases, particularly the nudes variant. I can never seem to close those ones out.

Darksilverhawk

#34 Postby Darksilverhawk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 pm

I usually get the girl to crack and promise to stop just fine, it's stomping out all the extra copies in time afterward that causes problems. I assume I'm screwing up somewhere and severing the only lead on the last copy, I'm just not sure when or where. When the girls panic and wipe their phones when you harass them, does that mean they've just sent it to someone else? Occasionally I'll neutralize the girls until it's down to just one girl who swears she doesn't have a copy anymore until it times out and I fail, so I assume I'm letting a copy leak somewhere.

Montoya

#35 Postby Montoya » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:45 am

Actually, speaking of the traitor, what's the general likelihood that she'll flub a roll if capable? I had a heck of a surprise recently when Althea ended up being the traitor- she was my primary questioner/harasser, never worked with other girls, but when she confessed to me she had yet to fail a single action.

hanako
Site Admin

#36 Postby hanako » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 am

Should always fail if failure is possible (on rare border cases where it's only JUST BARELY possible to fail, the math might get confused enough to slip, but that's rare), but can easily mask that in an 'ambiguous' result. The traitor knows it's a failure even if Elsa doesn't. So a sneaky traitor might show up with every single outcome being ambiguous and no official failures, even though she actually failed all the time.

somestrangecircus

#37 Postby somestrangecircus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:51 pm

A few questions:

1. On the Secret Society cases, when there is a slave ring: If through being unlucky, I find out the location of the hazing too late to stake it out, am I just out of luck?

2. On the Fragile Genius cases, what do I do if the girl seems confident in her skills and Stalking or Questioning don't turn up anything new?

3. Any general tips for school reputation? I have a LOT of trouble keeping it up. I got expelled due to losing it all just now...Had 90 Council Karma, so I guess I'm a dropout but everyone loves me.

silentheartsong

#38 Postby silentheartsong » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:01 am

Reputation does indeed plummet quickly :(

Also, this is probably just me derping, but where is the jukebox/gallery/achievement list? Things of that nature? I can't find them.

hanako
Site Admin

#39 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:39 am

The extras only become available after you've gotten through to the ending at least once.

The best tip for reputation is not to fail at the cases! If you have high karma but lose all your reputation, you're probably going too easy on suspects. Harsh actions may lose you karma but they are sometimes the best or only way to get to the bottom of things.

1. On the Secret Society cases, when there is a slave ring: If through being unlucky, I find out the location of the hazing too late to stake it out, am I just out of luck?

2. On the Fragile Genius cases, what do I do if the girl seems confident in her skills and Stalking or Questioning don't turn up anything new?

IIRC if you get to the hazing location too late, there IS still one way to close the case, but it's obviously a last resort. If you can't reach all the freshmen, the only option left is to crack down hard on the people you do have access to - the seniors. Sometimes, Suspend and Expel are necessary evils. Getting there on time is a much better idea.

Fragile Genius - Sometimes, there's nothing wrong and you don't need to do anything. If the girl seems a little too confident, you do have a third action other than Stalk or Question that could be applied.

somestrangecircus

#40 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:42 am

I'm bad at this game, I think...I have no problem getting high council karma, but I keep running the school reputation very low, mostly because the cases I have trouble with are the ones that have big reputation hits if you fail them.

Also, I tried doing the Red Mask this play through and damn I am wondering why I didn't do that the first time.

Franka

#41 Postby Franka » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:40 am

Right, the cheating genius... I don't think I ever figured out the tell, but sometimes she needs a handy dose of mean. I've been wrong on that one a number of times and gone, ouch karma.

Don't be afraid to Harass people if you really need things to start moving (it's better than losing all your reputation and the game), and if using my guides, don't follow them to the letter. Get out there and mash it up. I haven't covered all eventualities, since most of them are written from memory.
Last edited by Franka on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

somestrangecircus

#42 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 am

The thing is, if she's confident, it always ends with her being a dirty rotten cheater somehow.

I guess next time I'll try harassing her and see what that does...

Darksilverhawk

#43 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 pm

hanako wrote:IIRC if you get to the hazing location too late, there IS still one way to close the case, but it's obviously a last resort. If you can't reach all the freshmen, the only option left is to crack down hard on the people you do have access to - the seniors. Sometimes, Suspend and Expel are necessary evils. Getting there on time is a much better idea.

Won't the case time out on it's own before the suspensions are up if you're that late anyway? I pretty much only suspend intentional bad students anymore because the risk is too great- better to take the known hit from expulsion rather than risk the case closing before she gets back to school and can apologize.

Reputation is hard to maintain, particularly if you get a bunch of tough cases. It's not uncommon for me to squeak by on 5 reputation near the end. Stupid drug dealers.

I think the tell on the fragile flower if she plans to cheat is if she says "I am definitely going to win!", then you need to apply pressure to convince her to play fair. If she's just excited, I think you're ok.

hanako
Site Admin

#44 Postby hanako » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Suspensions, particularly when you suspend multiple people in a case at once, can have interesting results sometimes. Those results may be good or bad. It's a risky thing. But if you're exploring and trying to find better ways of handling hard case types, you might occasionally want to try it.

Darksilverhawk

#45 Postby Darksilverhawk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:25 pm

I... never even thought to suspend several people at once. I have no idea why. I suspect a bunch of cases are about to get somewhat easier...

Return to “Black Closet”