Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Kardori

Re: Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

#46 Postby Kardori » Sun May 24, 2015 1:16 am

So I figured out who the traitor was on the first case, by noticing they got ambiguous results when they really probably shoulda nailed it, given their comparative stats

Thus, I began putting that person on supply closet duty.

I then received about 7 lemons in like 9 results. Was this just bad luck, or does the traitor bring back a lot of lemons? No way of knowing, I'm going to save next week and test this.

HOWEVER the real treat was this: I had 3 lemons in my inventory. A notice showed up saying "with all these lemons, the council should have a lemonade stand" or something. I then used up 3 lemons and assigned a girl to the new "front of school" location which showed up next to the supply room. The result? +3 karma. Am going to test if it is 1 karma per lemon, but if so this is somewhat hilarious because the traitor, and life, gave me lemons - so I made lemonade.

somestrangecircus

#47 Postby somestrangecircus » Sun May 24, 2015 1:29 am

The traitor is more likely to bring back lemons. Since you can't send another girl to accompany her, you're better off sending a different girl to the closet.

Lemonade only ever takes three lemons and gives three karma, as far as I know.

Franka

#48 Postby Franka » Sun May 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Kardori wrote:I then received about 7 lemons in like 9 results. Was this just bad luck, or does the traitor bring back a lot of lemons? No way of knowing, I'm going to save next week and test this.

Supposed to happen.

HOWEVER the real treat was this: I had 3 lemons in my inventory. A notice showed up saying "with all these lemons, the council should have a lemonade stand" or something. I then used up 3 lemons and assigned a girl to the new "front of school" location which showed up next to the supply room. The result? +3 karma. Am going to test if it is 1 karma per lemon, but if so this is somewhat hilarious because the traitor, and life, gave me lemons - so I made lemonade.

Supposed to happen, even has an achievement.
Last edited by Franka on Sun May 24, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanako
Site Admin

#49 Postby hanako » Sun May 24, 2015 7:26 pm

The joy of discovering that while not knowing about it is part of why the achievement list is hidden on your first playthrough. :)

You should get more karma points the more lemons you use, but it needs at least three and most people won't fill their entire tray with lemons at once, so.

Gamer

#50 Postby Gamer » Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Can someone tell me how to solve the steam tunnels path? All I can do is search or stake out the tunnels but nothing usually happens unless you can count one of my minions getting a burn from the exposed pipe. And then I would get a game over because I didn't solve it in time.

Darksilverhawk

#51 Postby Darksilverhawk » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Just keep searching- it'll take a while, but your minions will find something interesting eventually. Make sure whomever you've got out there has high enough stats; you probably won't see a flat out success here, but remember an ambiguous result can still give you what you need. Might be a good time to use some observation items if you've got them to burn.

hanako
Site Admin

#52 Postby hanako » Mon May 25, 2015 9:31 pm

You should be getting increasing amounts of bonus every time you search the tunnels, iirc? Although at this point in time I can't remember if the search roll has increasing bonuses or only the explore roll does. There are several little cheats built in to try and make this case easier if you're stuck, since it's a game-over if you can't pass it.

Stake Out adds a bonus to the Search roll, but only once.

Since this is an important roll to pass, compiling items is also a good idea.

LateWhiteRabbit

#53 Postby LateWhiteRabbit » Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm

hanako wrote:You should be getting increasing amounts of bonus every time you search the tunnels, iirc? Although at this point in time I can't remember if the search roll has increasing bonuses or only the explore roll does. There are several little cheats built in to try and make this case easier if you're stuck, since it's a game-over if you can't pass it.

Stake Out adds a bonus to the Search roll, but only once.

Since this is an important roll to pass, compiling items is also a good idea.

I don't think the search roll has increasing bonuses. Or at least I didn't notice them increasing.

The only way I've managed to beat this case so far is using Rowan with very buffed Stealth (50+ at least, though higher is preferred, so detention is 100% avoided on the boiler room) and Observation (70+) skills, and Mallory with a high buffed Social (50-60+) skill, and spamming items. I normally have to save up several 15+ Observation and Social items, and throw them into the mix.

I shamefully admit to save-scumming this case, because even with Red Mask favor, I don't usually have time to solve cases and restock the correct kind of 15+ items if my first attempt fails, so I get prepared, save, and restart the week until I am successful. :oops:

Oki

#54 Postby Oki » Wed May 27, 2015 2:02 am

I just recorded 45 minutes of not being able to solve a drug dealing case. WHAT DO I DO??? SEARCHING HER ROOM NEVER WORKS, I've busted her giving drugs to tons of students and yet somehow that doesn't warrant expulsion? WTF???

hanako
Site Admin

#55 Postby hanako » Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 am

Have you actually seen her giving drugs to students, or have you seen "a package changing hands"?

A package could be anything, and seeing two people talking and passing something back and forth between each other doesn't necessarily mean that you know which of them is buying and which one is selling. That's not enough proof to expel someone.

When you say searching the room doesn't work, do you mean you don't have enough skills, or that you never find anything? You might be looking in the wrong room.

If you specifically saw her selling and your skills just aren't high enough to search the room... this case might be a tiny bit too hard, I'll look at it.

Oki

#56 Postby Oki » Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 am

It's just not high enough, this is week like...3....and I can't ever find anything, ever.

Darksilverhawk

#57 Postby Darksilverhawk » Thu May 28, 2015 1:40 pm

It's entirely possible to get cases you just don't have the stats to deal with early on. Sometimes you've gotta know when to throw a case.

hanako
Site Admin

#58 Postby hanako » Thu May 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Yeah, but that case drags on massively and doesn't close if not resolved, which makes it too much of a stumbling block. 1.0.13 bans drugs cases from starting in the first month, and adds another possible way to unlock the expulsion option.

It's still a mean case, but that should shift the meanness into a more doable time period.

Montoya

#59 Postby Montoya » Sat May 30, 2015 4:31 am

I'm curious, are there any cases besides the variation of the black sheep where the goth hates the worlds where you have to expel someone to solve it? I've always viewed suspensions and expulsions as last-resort eject keys for cases I can't figure out how to solve.

(The only other time I can remember using expel is whenever I get the organized cheating case- if I get the cheating one, hyper-aggressive expulsions are often the only way I can handle it)

somestrangecircus

#60 Postby somestrangecircus » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 am

There's a variant where one of the gossipers is just making up the rumors, I think.

Return to “Black Closet”