Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Solving Mysteries - General Hints / Tips / Strategy

#61 Postby hanako » Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 am

There are a handful of cases where expulsion is the only way out. The usual warning signs for that sort of case are hints that the problem is more serious than a little school dispute, and the culprit not responding to detentions.

The kid setting bombs, for instance.

I don't think you're required to expel anyone just for gossipping.

Dragondave17

#62 Postby Dragondave17 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 pm

There's two additional things I was wondering:

Is it possible to get a * grade on most tasks, or are most tasks capped to certain grades?

For the * grades that are possible, can you get them "safely" or do you sometimes have to risk a Karma hit by acting out of turn?

I know that at least 7 tasks can be starred fairly safely, and sometimes when I reach an A-C I wonder if I hit the cap or whether I could've done something different.

hanako
Site Admin

#63 Postby hanako » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 pm

No, there are lots of cases where a really high grade is completely impossible. Especially on the case variants where there's no real mystery, just a red herring. If there's no way to 'win' it, the best you can do is not lose any points, which should get you a C in the end.

4Dam-Ghost-Nappa

#64 Postby 4Dam-Ghost-Nappa » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 pm

I've tend to notice that if you save at the beginning of a week, and reload it after totally bombing a case, you tend to get the same case with maybe just some name changes and portrait changes, but the actual events that occur in the case more often than not seem to be the same.

Does the game generate a random seed at the beginning of the game and use that through the playthrough? Save Scumming seems rather abusable in a game that is supposed to be pseudo-random or random.

hanako
Site Admin

#65 Postby hanako » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 pm

There's a careful balance of what is and isn't random to allow some wiggle room when absolutely necessary while discouraging people from wasting their time reloading constantly. Early on we had too many people encouraging 'Just keep reloading until you get a better case!' if it generated a case that they didn't like.

Similarly, this is the reason that you can't manually save during the week and keep reloading to get better dice rolls on your actions. Because people will, and then they will complain that they're not having any fun because I 'forced' them to play this way. :)

On a normal beginning-of-week save, the cases and starting cards are set. If you keep reloading that save, the set of cards that you begin the week's new case with will still have the same names and the same stats.

Cards that are added to the case after the start of the week are often randomly generated at that point in time, so THEY will be different if you start the week over. And, of course, the dice may not go your way on your next attempt, either.

If the whole week was an utter disaster, you can back up and start the week over again and 'cheat' slightly with the knowledge you've obtained. But it's not a guarantee that things will work out exactly like you hope, either, so it's really not worth doing unless something went horribly wrong or you're about to lose the game.

4Dam-Ghost-Nappa

#66 Postby 4Dam-Ghost-Nappa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:09 pm

Is there a better way to deal with a girl who has a black knife in the "Black Sheep in the Herd" mission than Expulsion?

MadeiraD

#67 Postby MadeiraD » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:28 pm

I keep getting a variant of the prancing and pawing mystery where I can't get any information out of anybody and staking out the hallway doesn't get me anywhere, what gives?

Also the disused classroom thing? I'm not sure whether to give it to the girl who requests guard duty?

hanako
Site Admin

#68 Postby hanako » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:51 pm

MadeiraD wrote:I keep getting a variant of the prancing and pawing mystery where I can't get any information out of anybody and staking out the hallway doesn't get me anywhere, what gives?

Have you tried stalking?

Also the disused classroom thing? I'm not sure whether to give it to the girl who requests guard duty?

Up to you, it may have plot effects if you do or don't.

somestrangecircus

#69 Postby somestrangecircus » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:22 am

hanako wrote:
MadeiraD wrote:I keep getting a variant of the prancing and pawing mystery where I can't get any information out of anybody and staking out the hallway doesn't get me anywhere, what gives?

Have you tried stalking?

Hanako Games, giving life advice for all ages.

Shallan

#70 Postby Shallan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:04 pm

In the "hates everyone" unredeemable goth variant, while it seems that expelling her is the only answer (feel free to correct me!) are you still supposed to take the reputation hit for expelling her? (Let me know if this needs a spoiler at this point, and I'll figure out how to do them)

hanako
Site Admin

#71 Postby hanako » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Yes, expulsion is always a rep hit even if you had no other choice.

Shallan

#72 Postby Shallan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks! I guess I just think of it as cutting my losses.

And since I've never said it, thanks for ALL your games. I'm pretty sure I'm WAY outside the target demographic, but all of your games feature great writing, and usually a fair bit of thinking, taking it beyond the visual novel genre (which I find a bit too passive). The fact they all have young female protagonists I just call an author's quirk. :)

Return to “Black Closet”