Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Franka

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#91 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:24 pm

No, I think they were marked with XXX and CG go here.

Other path will need hints, somebody else find it NAO!

Silly thing I did: Stalking a girl with 5 minions. She didn't notice a thing. I think Rowan made the others wear cardboard boxes for disguise.

I'll be off over the weekend for a wedding anniversary (not my own), so no more testing till Monday. Sorry Vonne, you'll have to wait.

hanako
Site Admin

#92 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm going to be away a bit this weekend myself (though not yet).

Poor Vonne. Always a bridesmaid...

Rowan's other path: Think how different any attempt to romance her would be if she were not the mole and therefore had not had that giant outburst at you... The main path kissy graphic will be coming eventually though!
Silly thing I did: Stalking a girl with 5 minions. She didn't notice a thing. I think Rowan made the others wear cardboard boxes for disguise.
hehehe :) Or else she was so stealthy she snuck off following the target and left the rest behind!

Oki

#93 Post by Oki » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Can't update the game???

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

WindowsError: [Error 267] The directory name is invalid: u'C:\\Program Files\\Black Closet\\veeesta.rpy:6'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Program Files\Black Closet\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 285, in bootstrap
os.makedirs(renpy.config.logdir, 0777)
File "c:\Python27\lib\os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 267] The directory name is invalid: u'C:\\Program Files\\Black Closet\\veeesta.rpy:6'

Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

hanako
Site Admin

#94 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

There is a problem at the moment with updating if you install the game into Program Files on windows. It's a permissions thing, which is why it only affects that location. We are trying to figure out a way to fix it - at the moment the workaround is to install the game somewhere else, like C:/games or something. (I uploaded a temporary new installer that defaults to c:/games but people who downloaded earlier than that will be having this problem at first)

If you uninstall and reinstall in a new location your savegames will still be there, so you won't lose anything.

Franka

#95 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:48 pm

I actually thought of that Rowan alternate path at work, so yeah, poor Vonne, she might not even get chosen when I get back from my weekend. :|

hanako
Site Admin

#96 Post by hanako » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 pm

(... Apparently my school's actual Christmas Tableaux, which they still do, was yesterday. One of my classmates posted a picture from her scene from all those years ago. Wasn't the scene that I was in, though. Not sure whether I should post it or the one from last year that my school sent around in their email newsletter... it's not particularly important. But true!)

Spiky Caterpillar

#97 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:37 pm

FantasyFan wrote:I can't open the game either. It was running fine yesterday, but now I get this error every time I try opening it.

And it doesn't go away no matter what I do.
Check your saves folder to see if you have any files named _reload-(number).bcs. If you do, delete them. (There's a workaround for the crashing-on-reload bug in 0.8.7.1, as well)

If you don't have a _reload-(number).bcs, try renaming persistent.dat? (If that works, then I'll want the old persistent.dat uploaded.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#98 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:57 pm

New version: 0.8.7.2. Changes since 0.8.5: mostly, fixing the Win7 updater, then fixing the bugs in the fixes, then fixing... you get the idea.

Other changes: Fixed crashes on successful detention in one of the secret society variants, and a crash suspending in one of the special event cases. Error messages loading some Thais-path saves fixed. _reload-(number) saves should no longer crash the game. Now defaults to disabling encryption on Windows, since most people won't have GPG installed. (If your prefs are currently set to encrypt, you can turn encryption off by going to Options: Privacy Options.)

Spiky Caterpillar

#99 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:48 pm

New new version: 0.8.9.1. Changes:

Thaïs's Angry Crowd Member role should be in the same dialog style as the other epilogue pages.
If you expel someone as a scapegoat, she no longer shows up in school in the epilogues.
Loading a manual save should now always create the same cases on Monday. (Autosaves are still nondeterministic though) You can no longer detain people's rooms for containing cheat sheets. A stray XXX has been trimmed. The default difficulty is now loaded dice, you'll want to explicitly switch to hard mode if you want to go back to it. Some text has been nudged. Some Rowan flags now load correctly. I've tried to make crypto errors more verbose. Crashes introduced in alphas 0.8.8 and 0.8.9 are fixed.

nightjay

#100 Post by nightjay » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:04 am

hanako wrote:
nightjay wrote:Oh man, this is probably such a dumb question, but I'm wondering how to save the game??? I downloaded the Mac Alpha version just now, and I'm having a lot of fun already but predictably experiencing some anxiety over whether I've made the right choices, etc. I'm clicking around on the Load/Save files screen, but nothing appears to be saving? What am I doing wrong?
The game can only be saved at the start of each week - if you upgrade to the latest patch (0.8.5) there is better notification for this. The very first version uploaded wasn't as clear about making sure this was known. It should still be autosaving for you each week though.
Gotcha, thanks! Another dumb question, but where can I find the links to the patches?

BloomingLilac

#101 Post by BloomingLilac » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:00 am

Are there any male characters in Black Closet, or is this school for girls only? Sorry if I missed the answer to this question somewhere. I didn't see any in the screenshots. I'll probably buy the game for the mystery solving, but I was just wondering what to expect as far as relationships go. The game looks really fun!

Spiky Caterpillar

#102 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:22 am

nightjay wrote:Gotcha, thanks! Another dumb question, but where can I find the links to the patches?
You can get the patches by going to the Options screen and clicking 'Updates'. At the moment you'll need to turn on 'Show beta versions' if you want to install the patches, since the game's not stable yet.

hanako
Site Admin

#103 Post by hanako » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:23 pm

BloomingLilac wrote:Are there any male characters in Black Closet, or is this school for girls only? Sorry if I missed the answer to this question somewhere. I didn't see any in the screenshots. I'll probably buy the game for the mystery solving, but I was just wondering what to expect as far as relationships go. The game looks really fun!
It's an all-girls school, there are no male characters anywhere. Friendship routes are possible though. :)

BloomingLilac

#104 Post by BloomingLilac » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you. I feel a bit dumb now because I hadn't read the locked thread about the game when I posted earlier.

Tomo-chan

#105 Post by Tomo-chan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:24 pm

So, something weird happened... I was on the case where students all get the same grade on their test, and when I visited one of the girl room, it said that in her diary she talked about destroying her classmates by giving them enough rope to hang themselves, and I don't see what this has to do with cheating, but okay. But right after that it said "You can know detain Nora's room". And actually I could give her room detention, but when I tried to, the game gave me an error, and when I clicked ignore it told me that I had finished a case called "Suspicous Similarities", which I am 90% sure I didn't have before. But it is not the first time I get a bug after giving detention and it makes me skip a day... Although that was the first time I gave detention to a ROOM.