Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#76 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Would it make any difference to comprehension if some sort of slight visual difference were put into the side-icons on the Search action, like a line between them or something? I obviously can't fit in a whole lot of stuff there so I suspect that anything might be too small to see.

If you have chance-of-success set, the Search action shows two separate results, so there's already some indication that it's two rolls, although yes it will take a while to be clear.

(In really early versions, both Search and Inspect were named 'Search' and the only difference was the icons to show whether Stealth was involved or not, but our internal tests showed that wasn't working, people weren't seeing the difference. Our nerdy design documents refer to 'covert Search' and 'overt Search'.)

Franka

#77 Post by Franka » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:13 pm

I'll think about it, I'm off to work.

Just one quick thing, in The Secret Society case, slave ring variant, I convinced all slaves to leave, and now the case just stays open indefinitely.

Oki

#78 Post by Oki » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm

hanako wrote:The dance?
Harvest festival / right around the time the Traitor is revealed. I will try again later today since my friends aren't bugging me to play league of legends right now :P
I've been here so long even Hanako is sick of me

wendymarlowe

#79 Post by wendymarlowe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:25 pm

"You quietly search Peggy's room. You find Peggy's diary, where she talks about how she's plotting to destroy her classmates by giving them just enough rope to hang themselves...You may now detain Peggy's room.

(I'll admit, this one made me giggle a bit :-P "Bad room! Bad room! Go to your . . . uh, never mind?")

hanako
Site Admin

#80 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:35 pm

FantasyFan wrote:Got another traceback error when I reached the Game Over screen at the harvest festival. The game isn't allowing me to take screenshots.
Sorry, I missed this slightly because I was waiting for Spiky to comment on it, but he's sick at the moment.

What do you mean about screenshots? Just that the regular screenshot shortcut key doesn't work in a traceback, or is it doing something weird to printscreen, or what?

Did the traceback you got upload successfully?

Franka

#81 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:22 am

I gave it some thought at work, and the best I could come up with is to extend the tutorial a bit.

I'd like for there to be at least two more guided examples, one where you combine two people, and one where one person does a Detention action and the other rests to get rid of stress. From there we can naturally be told about suspension and expulsion, not necessarily with examples, but at least learn a bit about them.

While it might not be the most helpful example to have two people combine for an action that requires two different skills (since that might give the impression that you'll ALWAYS need two people for that), I'd love for there to be an example of a Search action, and a note on how it's different from an action with added skills.

While this will make the tutorial run a little longer, I think it would be highly beneficial to practice a couple of different actions (Question and Harass are not very different from each other) before getting thrown to the wolves, so to speak. It would give a lot more confidence in the system. Besides, after the first tutorial, it's simple to skip it in the future.

This does leave us with the issue of who to use for the second character. I'd suggest the helpful assistant Franka... nah, just kidding. How about having Elsa step in? That way we would also see a physical representation of our character, and if it happens to make you reuse skilled Elsa for something interesting elsewhere in the game, BONUS! Just what are Elsa's skills, I wonder?

Maybe there could also be an option to run the tutorial again from the main screen, or an extended tutorial?

Anyway, I know there's already a lot of information to take in, and learning by doing is fine, I just think a little more learning by guided doing would have prepared me better for the game.

Franka

#82 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:26 am

I'm getting an error every time I start the game now, it's missing a _reload-2.bcs file. Did I make too many save files or something?

hanako
Site Admin

#83 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:36 am

I don't know what's up with the error - hopefully Spiky can figure it out when he's feeling a little better.

I really don't want to put Elsa on a card for a number of reasons (for one it would raise the question of why she doesn't do things herself later, especially when the council is short-handed) but I can look at ideas to extend the tutorial a little more.

FantasyFan

#84 Post by FantasyFan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:25 am

I can't open the game either. It was running fine yesterday, but now I get this error every time I try opening it.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 170, in script
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 170, in <module>
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 54, in upload_traceback
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 26, in upload_blob
File "game/network.rpy", line 62, in post_data
Exception: An unhandled error occurred trying to encrypt your message.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 170, in script
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 756, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 170, in <module>
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 54, in upload_traceback
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 26, in upload_blob
File "game/network.rpy", line 62, in post_data
Exception: An unhandled error occurred trying to encrypt your message.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.3
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Windows 7 6.1.7601 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel

And it doesn't go away no matter what I do.

nightjay

#85 Post by nightjay » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:38 am

Oh man, this is probably such a dumb question, but I'm wondering how to save the game??? I downloaded the Mac Alpha version just now, and I'm having a lot of fun already but predictably experiencing some anxiety over whether I've made the right choices, etc. I'm clicking around on the Load/Save files screen, but nothing appears to be saving? What am I doing wrong?

Franka

#86 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:08 am

hanako wrote:I really don't want to put Elsa on a card for a number of reasons (for one it would raise the question of why she doesn't do things herself later, especially when the council is short-handed) but I can look at ideas to extend the tutorial a little more.
I understand. I could see a running joke with Elsa excusing herself... or you could give her 1/1/1/1. :lol:

Extending the tutorial a bit would be good no matter how you do it.

Franka

#87 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 am

hanako wrote:I don't know what's up with the error - hopefully Spiky can figure it out when he's feeling a little better.
I copied _reload-1.bcs and renamed it to 2, it's trying to recreate a previous game state, probably because the game shut down improperly.
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 138, in script call
call _load_reload_game from _call__load_reload_game_1
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 309, in script
python hide:
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 319, in <module>
renpy.load("_reload-2")
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 36, in renpy_loadsave_load
File "game/students.rpy", line 1228, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\.\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/BlackCloset\\_reload-2.bcs'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 138, in script call
call _load_reload_game from _call__load_reload_game_1
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 309, in script
python hide:
File "C:\Games\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 756, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Games\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 319, in <module>
renpy.load("_reload-2")
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 36, in renpy_loadsave_load
File "game/students.rpy", line 1228, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\.\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/BlackCloset\\_reload-2.bcs'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.5

Original version: BlackCloset-0.8.3
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Windows 7 6.1.7601 x86 x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel

hanako
Site Admin

#88 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:57 pm

nightjay wrote:Oh man, this is probably such a dumb question, but I'm wondering how to save the game??? I downloaded the Mac Alpha version just now, and I'm having a lot of fun already but predictably experiencing some anxiety over whether I've made the right choices, etc. I'm clicking around on the Load/Save files screen, but nothing appears to be saving? What am I doing wrong?
The game can only be saved at the start of each week - if you upgrade to the latest patch (0.8.5) there is better notification for this. The very first version uploaded wasn't as clear about making sure this was known. It should still be autosaving for you each week though.

Franka

#89 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Oh Rowan, why you no CG? There seemed to be a few unfinished things in her path, but I'm sure you're aware of this. I kind of lost patience near the end, so failed a lot of cases... but that's what I built a reputation buffer for, I guess.

hanako
Site Admin

#90 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Rowan has a CG... in her other path. I know there are still a few XXXs lurking in the code (although I don't know where they all are, many are things Spiky put in) - anything else particular that hopped out as unfinished?