Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#151 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Elze wrote:Erm.. And then at some point I attempted to load from my last save, but a prompter said that there was unknown or new data in my save. So I chose the option to upload my save and traceback and boomz- My game closed on its own and this popped up as a txt file:
Your version doesn't have any working encryption, so trying to turn encryption on causes just about everything related to the network to crash. Try going into Privacy Options and telling it not to encrypt anything, then try to upgrade to the most recent build. Until you can update none of your tracebacks are going to be useful, they're all going to end up being encryption errors.

If you still can't upgrade even with encryption switched off, email me so I can send you a more recent installer.

hanako
Site Admin

#152 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Yuki wrote:Hi there. I've just downloaded and tried to update the game and I'm getting this:

I couldn't get anywhere with it, so I just reported it to SC and pressed ignore.

Not a bad game, but I've encountered another problem while playing (it might be related to the update failure):
One of my minions has been locked in a closet during a failed mission. And she's still unavailable after two weeks, but I've still been able to go out with her on weekends. When it's a weekday, she's back in the closet.
Looks like the same issue - encryption isn't actually working in the build you have.

I thought I'd updated the installer that was being given out, but I guess I've been scatterbrained enough to get a bit behind, oops! :) Anyway, try disabling encryption and see if you can patch up.

zeru57

#153 Post by zeru57 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:The case is supposed to disappear and then reappear after the festival, if you successfully misled the organizer.
Sorry, you are right. I think I was a little too tired last night!

Cerberusia

#154 Post by Cerberusia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 pm

The game threw an error just after the scene where Talmage asks whether Elsa wants to sign a piece of paper to lighten her caseload; I had her refuse, on the grounds that I don't trust Talmage as far as I could throw her. I uploaded the traceback, and have reproduced it here:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 331, in script call

File "game/jan_plot.rpy", line 2342, in script
    hide rowan
  File "game/jan_plot.rpy", line 2342, in <module>
    hide rowan
NameError: name 'underground_case' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 331, in script call

File "game/jan_plot.rpy", line 2342, in script
    hide rowan
  File "C:\games\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 1545, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "C:\games\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1419, in py_eval
    return eval(py_compile(source, 'eval'), globals, locals)
  File "game/jan_plot.rpy", line 2342, in <module>
    hide rowan
NameError: name 'underground_case' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.18

Original version: BlackCloset-0.8.5
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Windows 7 6.1.7601 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
Game Time: 1 1 19

Yuki

#155 Post by Yuki » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:45 pm

hanako wrote:Anyway, try disabling encryption and see if you can patch up.
Still not updating, unfortunately. I've tried disabling the network access, too and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the same thing happens.

hanako
Site Admin

#156 Post by hanako » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Well, if you disable network access then you obviously can't upgrade, since it wouldn't be able to download patches from the network anymore. :)

The privacy option should be set to 'Never encrypt anything' which will stop encryption errors from occurring - you still might get totally different errors, but not the same one that you screenshotted about the encryption, if you see what I mean.

Otherwise, see if your original download email still works and lets you get the latest installer, since I just changed it this morning. I'm not sure if they'd expire your download for that or not (if it's expired, forward it to me and I can generate a fresh download)

Spiky Caterpillar

#157 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Cerberusia wrote:The game threw an error just after the scene where Talmage asks whether Elsa wants to sign a piece of paper to lighten her caseload; I had her refuse, on the grounds that I don't trust Talmage as far as I could throw her. I uploaded the traceback, and have reproduced it here:
Did you have any previous ignored errors? (Note to self: need to make sure it actually NOTES ignored errors in tracebacks)
Yuki wrote:One of my minions has been locked in a closet during a failed mission. And she's still unavailable after two weeks, but I've still been able to go out with her on weekends. When it's a weekday, she's back in the closet.
Interesting. I'll poke at it, can you upload a save with her stuck in the closet to http://spikycaterpillar.com/savegame-upload.html?

Cerberusia

Re:

#158 Post by Cerberusia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:
Cerberusia wrote:The game threw an error just after the scene where Talmage asks whether Elsa wants to sign a piece of paper to lighten her caseload; I had her refuse, on the grounds that I don't trust Talmage as far as I could throw her. I uploaded the traceback, and have reproduced it here:
Did you have any previous ignored errors? (Note to self: need to make sure it actually NOTES ignored errors in tracebacks)
Yes, I did - there was one just after the scene Talmage informs Elsa of the tunnels at the start of term, and the error itself was the same. I uploaded it, if that helps?

Spiky Caterpillar

0.8.21 changelog

#159 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:35 am

* Marquis of showtimes deposed, now we get them from a marquee.
* Bug where you could invite Althea to the planetarium twice on your first playthrough fixed.
* Lockup when you go to the preferences screen on a Mac fixed.
* Debug messages adjusted.
( 0.8.20.1 was here)
* A crash starting the underground case fixed.
* crash_ignored flag will be included in tracebacks and saves (assuming the crash was ignored in 0.8.21 or later)
(There's also a debugger-use flag, but that's not fully hooked up)
Cerberusia wrote:
Spiky Caterpillar wrote:
Yes, I did - there was one just after the scene Talmage informs Elsa of the tunnels at the start of term, and the error itself was the same. I uploaded it, if that helps?
Ah, what's happening is a bunch of semester 2 scenes check the status of the steam tunnels case, and since it crashed starting semester 2 the case isn't there to check. You'll need to play through the beginning of semester 2 again to properly create the case.

Yuki

#160 Post by Yuki » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:36 am

I reloaded your latest installer. It's updating okay now and seems to be working fine.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.8.23 changelog

#161 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Removed the 'Reload' button from the traceback screen, since it generally causes weird behavior.
Should now tell me if cheat codes were used in tracebacks.
Loadsave tweaks. Saves started in versions >= 0.8.23 will no longer leak 'could not resolve case' errors (they were caused by the tutorial target not having a real case attached.)
Some bugs where you could get an extra gossip response appended to the page fixed.
Can only tell Rowan about Vonne's opinion of her if Vonne's actually given you her opinion.
More crashes gossipping with girls from the hazing case fixed.
Unicode crash in finish_card_movement fixed.

Franka

#162 Post by Franka » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 am

Time for me to wait for achievements.

I've... played too much to do it again without a goal.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.8.28 changelog

#163 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:34 am

A crash in one conversation option after picking Althea as your queen is fixed.
Debug messages trimmed.
Checkerboard removed from UAC updater.
The City no longer stays active in a certain case when there are no longer actions you can do on it.
Stray pixels on the folders in load cleaned up.
Bug that could turn Thaïs invisible on her second line in the harvest queen selection scene fixed.
Minions now actually escape from the closet if they get trapped in it.
A crash starting the special case in January if you had previously had a failed political protest case has been fixed.
Another CG added. Content warning: legs.
A couple of Althea's scenes that were showing up even when you'd failed her path no longer show.
Achievements are mostly in. (Except the CG-unlocking achievement, since we don't have all the CGs in yet.)
Transition out of a certain Vonne scene slightly smoother.
Controller screen cleaned up.
Low-level controller interface reworked - it will now treat any unassigned joysticks on a controller as left-right-up-down (note that the default binds use the second joystick for rollback, so it's not unassigned.), and all unassigned buttons as click (buttons 0, 2, 4, etc) or menu (buttons 1, 3, 5...). That should make it harder for controller-only players to wind up configuring the game to be unplayable on their controller.
An extra picture is available on one epilogue option.

hanako
Site Admin

#164 Post by hanako » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 am

I see he's trying not to give too much away. :)

I'll just say, there's a checklist item that unlocks a special epilogue photo... which will have a full image once we have a CG gallery. For the moment there's just that teaser.

I'm planning to hide the current checklist-unlocked popups when they've been thoroughly tested, but they're useful at the moment so you can be sure stuff works.

Franka

#165 Post by Franka » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

I see some achievements that leave me clueless, but I'll get on some of them at least. You had to go and do two minions, didn't you? That's gotta require some serious save scumming. :shock: