Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Franka

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#121 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Practically no save scumming this time around, only when doing something really dumb (being hasty and all).

I skipped pretty much everything skippable, and there were a couple of weeks where all I did was solve a case in two days, then pass time. Since I've learned exactly what stats I need, there's little wasted time collecting items and the like either, and I triggered the end of the game as soon as was at all possible. Shaving off half an hour from my previous game does seem like a lot though. Looking at the save times for each week, I spend 1-5 minutes on a week, over 30 weeks, so it seems probable. Started the game for real at 12:46, last save from 14:22, which would include breaks and any save scumming done.

Well, you know the things people want, more CGs, character customization...

One thing I could occasionally have used throughout my games is easy access to the minion stat screen with loyalty and all that. Another would be a browsable calendar that also showed any relevant info you've gained, such as case dates you've learned. But those are kind of luxury additions.

Franka

#122 Post by Franka » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Oh, while I remember, I think I mentioned this before, but since it happened again during my last game:

In The Secret Society case, slave ring variant, I Staked Out the meeting place, identified the slaves and mistresses, then Persuaded each slave to leave their mistress. The case doesn't close, but nothing more ever happens with it. I can still act on mistresses and their rooms, but they never break, and the rooms only contain the clue to the original meeting.

Now, nothing bad happens due to this, but I'm pretty positive it's not supposed to stay open forever. Besides, it annoyingly takes up a lot of space.

hanako
Site Admin

#123 Post by hanako » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Yeah, we're working on that. There's changes in the current alpha patch but there are some other bugs and tweaks still being hammered on, so it's not ready for wide release yet. (Which means no, don't download it! :) )

Spiky Caterpillar

0.8.13 changelog

#124 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:37 am

0.8.13 is now bumped to beta. Changes:

Setting your prefs to disable network access entirely should now be saved. Trying to update with network access disabled should fail properly. A crash when gossipping has been fixed. More custom gossip responses are in. Girls who set off bombs now expelled (so you won't wind up gossipping with them). Some save-related errors fixed. Guarding a seance site will no longer report suspended students as if they're present. Secret society slave ring variant no longer goes on forever. More hints.

Spiky Caterpillar

0.8.15.1 changelog

#125 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 am

No longer starts a ghost case on Dec 19th.
A handful of flags that didn't load properly now load.
The controller settings screen no longer has a crashy debugger button on it.
Tweaked one of the solutions to the slave-ring secret society case.
A couple more student names added.
The title screen and the quit yes/no screen now accept hotkeys.
README.html updated; (if you're getting stuck a lot, click the help button to bring it up!)
A potential gossip crash fixed. Gossip strings for secret society cases in.
No longer crashes when you stalk the leader of the political secret society variant.
Successfully detaining a certain gambler no longer loses karma.
Aaaaaaaaand: some new CGs!

hanako
Site Admin

#126 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 am

In particular, these scenes should now have CGs as of 0.8.15.1:

Rowan's kissy scene
Thais's kiss scene (yes, she does have one, but it's very hard to find)
Thais's dress-up scene
Mallory's room party scene

Franka

#127 Post by Franka » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 am

So, there's still one Mallory CG missing, right?

Any hints on Thaïs kissing? Is it in her regular romance path at least? Is it even Elsa she's kissing?

I don't suppose I can use the same license key on my laptop, and bring this with me for the holidays?

hanako
Site Admin

#128 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:33 pm

There's one Mallory-path CG missing, and all the Harvest Queen pictures, and the graduation image, and the Super Secret Pinup Picture.

As for Thais - it is on her path, and it is Elsa. It has to do with the possible resolutions to the special Thais-path case.

Using the same key on your laptop should be fine :)

hanako
Site Admin

#129 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Also, if you're on Windows and you have an early version of the game and you're completely unable to update despite the suggestions made, email/PM me and I can generate a fresh download link for you of a later installer version, since the later versions generally update better.

Franka

#130 Post by Franka » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks. I'll have to replay Thaïs and Mallory anyway, my oldest saves gave strange errors. I have an idea for Thaïs, so I'll try that out.

Franka

#131 Post by Franka » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Hmm, that didn't work out, but I'm getting better at speed runs. And considering I only had four minions, I'm satisfied with my case solving.

Franka

#132 Post by Franka » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 am

Ah, sleep, the great mystery solver.

Also, this. She was absent, but the dialogue immediately following this didn't seem to fit that specific situation very well.

zeru57

#133 Post by zeru57 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm on a Mac, 10.10.1. Latest Beta, 0.8.15.1. The first time I open the Options Screen for a user, I get a CrashReporter process pegging the CPU, and preventing all UI input. If I wait for 5 minutes, it goes away and then is no longer a problem upon startup.

Franka

#134 Post by Franka » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this game, because anything else would be rude. I've been busy playing, which of course is the greatest compliment of all. :wink:

I was already a great fan of LLtQ, and a lesser fan of Magical Diary, and I'm ranking Black Closet second on that list. Not only do I enjoy the girls' stories, I find the gameplay very compelling, but then I'm a sucker for solving puzzles. The random nature, while completely different from LLtQ, is very engaging, and juggling everything successfully feels like a true accomplishment. Meanwhile, having it all fall to the floor in pieces is absolutely horrifying (in a strangely good way)!

If I could choose, I would have more romance. I applaud the slightly naughty turns the actual romances take, even if they sometimes come out of left field (ok Vonne, today we're going to... :shock: ). Fan sketches in that vein might pop up some day, who knows?

So thank you, all of you involved in this, from plotting and gameplay to graphics. It's a lovely game, and I hope it will be successful.

zeru57

#135 Post by zeru57 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:12 pm

zeru57 wrote:I'm on a Mac, 10.10.1. Latest Beta, 0.8.15.1. The first time I open the Options Screen for a user, I get a CrashReporter process pegging the CPU, and preventing all UI input. If I wait for 5 minutes, it goes away and then is no longer a problem upon startup.
Actually I take that back, it reappears upon reboot at least.