Black Closet - Alpha Testing

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
seangmz

Re: Black Closet - Alpha Testing / Discount Copies

#106 Post by seangmz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:49 pm

I finally got into the second semester and while investigating a "High Rollers" I persuaded one of them and at end of the week the following error popped:

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.9.1
Discarded field <class 'store.PartySlacker'>.nerd_persuaded

Edit: It has continued to pop up at the end of the week since then. Also when I go to load a game it shows Rowan on the save icon.
Also, this is just something I want to mention because I loved it in Magical Diary and LLtQ: Will there be an 'endings/trophys' page? I found that so helpful when I first got LLtQ to help me explore.

Spiky Caterpillar

#107 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Tomo-chan wrote:So, something weird happened... I was on the case where students all get the same grade on their test, and when I visited one of the girl room, it said that in her diary she talked about destroying her classmates by giving them enough rope to hang themselves, and I don't see what this has to do with cheating, but okay. But right after that it said "You can know detain Nora's room". And actually I could give her room detention, but when I tried to, the game gave me an error, and when I clicked ignore it told me that I had finished a case called "Suspicous Similarities", which I am 90% sure I didn't have before. But it is not the first time I get a bug after giving detention and it makes me skip a day... Although that was the first time I gave detention to a ROOM.
What version of the game do you have? I thought I'd fixed the ability to detain rooms in Suspicious Similarity cases in 0.8.9.1. (You can check to see what version you have in Options: Updates.). Ignoring an error will generally lead to buggy (though hopefully usually minor bugs) behaviour, since the original error was itself a bug.
seangmz wrote:I finally got into the second semester and while investigating a "High Rollers" I persuaded one of them and at end of the week the following error popped:

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.9.1
Discarded field <class 'store.PartySlacker'>.nerd_persuaded

Edit: It has continued to pop up at the end of the week since then. Also when I go to load a game it shows Rowan on the save icon.
Also, this is just something I want to mention because I loved it in Magical Diary and LLtQ: Will there be an 'endings/trophys' page? I found that so helpful when I first got LLtQ to help me explore.
The discarded field should be fixed in the next version (not uploaded yet). Once you pick a Queen, her picture goes on the save - if Rowan's not your Queen, that's a bug and I'll want the save uploaded.

Some sort of trophies/achievements page is planned, but Hanako hasn't told me the details yet.

seangmz

#108 Post by seangmz » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:01 am

Spiky Caterpillar wrote: The discarded field should be fixed in the next version (not uploaded yet). Once you pick a Queen, her picture goes on the save - if Rowan's not your Queen, that's a bug and I'll want the save uploaded.

Some sort of trophies/achievements page is planned, but Hanako hasn't told me the details yet.
y'all are the best.

Tomo-chan

#109 Post by Tomo-chan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:25 am

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:
Tomo-chan wrote:So, something weird happened... I was on the case where students all get the same grade on their test, and when I visited one of the girl room, it said that in her diary she talked about destroying her classmates by giving them enough rope to hang themselves, and I don't see what this has to do with cheating, but okay. But right after that it said "You can know detain Nora's room". And actually I could give her room detention, but when I tried to, the game gave me an error, and when I clicked ignore it told me that I had finished a case called "Suspicous Similarities", which I am 90% sure I didn't have before. But it is not the first time I get a bug after giving detention and it makes me skip a day... Although that was the first time I gave detention to a ROOM.
What version of the game do you have? I thought I'd fixed the ability to detain rooms in Suspicious Similarity cases in 0.8.9.1. (You can check to see what version you have in Options: Updates.). Ignoring an error will generally lead to buggy (though hopefully usually minor bugs) behaviour, since the original error was itself a bug.
My version is BlackCloset-0.8.5 which I have just now realised is not the most up to date version. Sorry for the trouble!
The fact is, I never know what to do when I get an error: when I click "Upload Traceback", the screen shows "Uploading..." for a split second before going back to the error screen so I don't know if it uploaded or not. I can't quit because I rarely save the game (I decided to play on easy) so I would lose several weeks. So I click Ignore.

hanako
Site Admin

#110 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:57 pm

The game auto-saves at the start of each week, so you should generally be able to quit without losing too much. There's an 'autosaves' page before page 1 of saves that should have the last six weeks or so that you started on them.

And yes, there will be an achievements list eventually! I'm currently thinking it will cover:

reached your high school graduation?
been fully initiated into the Red Mask Society?
exposed the Red Mask Society to the media?
lost your Queen to the Red Mask's revenge?
won the traitor's loyalty?
won the game with less than five minions?
won the game with less than four minions?
driven a minion mad with jealousy?
used a minion as your own personal slave?
lost your mind to mysterious visions?
run a lemonade stand?
groped around in the dark?
been kissed by a freshman?
tempted a straight girl?

Other suggestions welcome, no promises on including them though. Some things are too random to be fair.

locus

#111 Post by locus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Is the lack of periods at the end of dialog choices intentional? It looks really off to me, especially since other end punctuation is present.

hanako
Site Admin

#112 Post by hanako » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Most of the time it looks awkward to me to put periods at the end of those choices because what she's saying is so short and doesn't feel like a full sentence. (Question marks are included because it makes a difference if something is being asked or stated)

So yes, it is intentional, but I can be talked out of it if it's bothering a lot of people.

Tomo-chan

#113 Post by Tomo-chan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm

I can't update the game (and I didn't install in in Program Files)
Here is what it says:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/updater.rpy", line 932, in script
File "game/updater.rpy", line 932, in <module>
File "game/updater.rpy", line 836, in do_upgrade
File "game/updater.rpy", line 558, in step
File "game/updater.rpy", line 512, in get_catalog_yielding
File "game/updater.rpy", line 149, in retrieve_yielding
File "game/network.rpy", line 39, in encode_for_post
File "game/network.rpy", line 17, in encrypt_for_spiky
Exception: An unhandled error occurred trying to encrypt your message.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/updater.rpy", line 932, in script
File "C:\Users\Pauline\Documents\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 756, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\Pauline\Documents\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/updater.rpy", line 932, in <module>
File "game/updater.rpy", line 836, in do_upgrade
File "game/updater.rpy", line 558, in step
File "game/updater.rpy", line 512, in get_catalog_yielding
File "game/updater.rpy", line 149, in retrieve_yielding
File "game/network.rpy", line 39, in encode_for_post
File "game/network.rpy", line 17, in encrypt_for_spiky

Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

Game: BlackCloset-0.8.5
Renderer: gl 1366x768
OS: Windows post2008Server 6.2.9200 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel

aurora13

#114 Post by aurora13 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 am

I have the same error as Tomo-chan. Can't update, and the game is installed in c/games.

I also can't automatically send errors when I find them, I believe this is this particular version of code. This is on Thais' path, when you succeed in stopping Zoe and her friends from spreading scandalous rumours, only to have her say she doesn't want to see you anymore. I'm not sure if this contains that error but it does contain the error that the game can't update.

Code:

While running game code:
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 164, in script
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 164, in <module>
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 149, in upload_nopickles_serialize_warnings
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 38, in upload_blob
File "game/network.rpy", line 62, in post_data

Full traceback:
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 164, in script
File "C:\games\Black Closet\renpy\ast.py", line 756, in execute
File "C:\games\Black Closet\renpy\python.py", line 1385, in py_exec_bytecode
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 164, in <module>
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 149, in upload_nopickles_serialize_warnings
File "game/tracebacks.rpy", line 38, in upload_blob
File "game/network.rpy", line 62, in post_data

Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

OS: Windows post2008Server 6.2.9200 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
Game Time: 1 3 5

Second error:
Earlier in the same game. Thais is the traitor, and I've assigned her to interrogate someone with an object, and it gives me this error:

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 439, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 440, in <module>
File "game/scheduler.rpy", line 308, in execute_assignments
File "game/cases.rpy", line 307, in Action
File "game/cases.rpy", line 2525, in Harass
File "game/cases.rpy", line 478, in UnlockTargetsAndOptions
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'AssignToCase'

Full traceback:
File "game/script.rpy", line 439, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 440, in <module>
File "game/scheduler.rpy", line 308, in execute_assignments
File "game/cases.rpy", line 307, in Action
File "game/cases.rpy", line 2525, in Harass
File "game/cases.rpy", line 478, in UnlockTargetsAndOptions
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'AssignToCase'

Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

OS: Windows post2008Server 6.2.9200 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
Game Time: 0 10 17

~~~~~~

Hope this is of some help!

Spiky Caterpillar

#115 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:54 am

Tomo-chan, Aurora13: The encryption errors (tracebacks that say 'Exception: An unhandled error occurred trying to encrypt your message.') are caused if your privacy settings are set to use encryption *and* you don't have GPG installed. You can work around the error by turning encryption off in the privacy settings, or fix it by installing GPG on your computer (you should be able to get it from https://www.gnupg.org/ ). If you're installing GPG, make sure gpg.exe is in your path (that is, running 'gpg' from a cmd window should actually bring the command-line app up). Since that might be a bit fiddly, I'm working on hooks to let you install GPG from within the game preferences - (they're in alpha, but they're Not Done Yet - hopefully I'll be able to take 'em live tomorrow.)

FantasyFan

#116 Post by FantasyFan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:40 am

Downloaded the latest version and got this error when starting the game.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 138, in script call
call _load_reload_game from _call__load_reload_game_1
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 309, in script
python hide:
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 319, in <module>
renpy.load("_reload-2")
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 36, in renpy_loadsave_load
File "game/students.rpy", line 1228, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Liesel\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/BlackCloset\\_reload-2.bcs'

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 138, in script call
call _load_reload_game from _call__load_reload_game_1
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 309, in script
python hide:
File "renpy/common/00keymap.rpy", line 319, in <module>
renpy.load("_reload-2")
File "game/nopickles.rpy", line 36, in renpy_loadsave_load
File "game/students.rpy", line 1228, in open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Liesel\\AppData\\Roaming/RenPy/BlackCloset\\_reload-2.bcs'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521

OS: Windows 7 6.1.7601 AMD64 Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel

However, the game ran after I clicked "Ignore."

Franka

#117 Post by Franka » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:53 am

That one I know you can solve by deleting _reload-2.bcs (but you probably shouldn't take my word for it :wink: )
Spiky Caterpillar wrote:Check your saves folder to see if you have any files named _reload-(number).bcs. If you do, delete them. (There's a workaround for the crashing-on-reload bug in 0.8.7.1, as well)

Spiky Caterpillar

Version 0.8.12.12 changelog

#118 Post by Spiky Caterpillar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:22 am

New beta. Changes:

A bug in date calculation when the end of a month falls on a weekend has been fixed. This will fix stray references to the 33th of March and the like. Hard mode is now 'High Stakes' instead of 'Fair Play'. An error saving fields in one struggling student variant has been fixed. The game no longer gives you a 'save' button on the autosave page. Suspended students can no longer be found leading seances when they're not actually at the school. A typo in the Vonne coffee date fixed. A crash unsuccessfully harassing a student who destroyed school supplies fixed. A crash choosing the epilogue for some Rowan path variants fixed. And there have been several changes to the updater and encryption code.

If you cannot update the game, and you are running on Windows: Install it to a location that is not in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86). Go to Options: Misc Options: Privacy Options, and select 'Never Encrypt Anything'. Then try to update the game.

If you cannot upload tracebacks on Windows: Go to Options: Misc Options: Privacy Options. If the game is set to 'Encrypt license keys and tracebacks', then you have three* options:
1) If you're using 0.8.12.12, click the 'Install GPG' button. This is experimental. It will download GPG, then check the signature (which currently takes several minutes!) I've gotten some odd error reports from Hanako that I'm still trying to figure out. If you get any errors when you click 'Install GPG', I want to know!
2) Tell the game 'Never encrypt anything'. This is more reliable, and is the default on new installs again.
3) Get GPG from https://www.gnupg.org/ and install it somewhere in your path, or copy gpg.exe into the same directory as Black Closet.
4) Download http://updates.spikycaterpillar.com/bla ... ws/gpg.exe by hand and drop it in the directory with BlackCloset.exe.
(*Improved 3, now 33% larger!)

If you're using Windows and want to experiment with crypto, you can un-hide the crypto options by going to the Ren'Py console (shift-O) and entering 'unroller.debug_crypto=True' without the quotes.

Franka

#119 Post by Franka » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 pm

That was the last of them. Is there something specific you'd like to be tried out? Otherwise I'll wait for achievements and CGs.

hanako
Site Admin

#120 Post by hanako » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Yeah, you should probably wait for the things to collect. (I see your detective skills are improving!)

I'm curious about whether the time-counting is actually working, though. Does 1:30 seem like a reasonable reporting of the time you spent? (obviously, any time save-scumming was lost but...)

Also, if you have any specific wishes for things that you think really should be in the game, this might be a good time to describe them...