Black Closet - in development

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
Bunni89

Re: Black Closet

#31 Postby Bunni89 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Darn! I hate when good ideas get delayed or cancelled because members of the team quit..
I wish I could jump in and give you arts but I can't draw anime to save my life! Good luck Hanako, I hope you manage to make this someday!

FantasyFan

#32 Postby FantasyFan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:42 pm

I would totally volunteer to do art if I could draw worth a darn, but I can't.

Anyway, here's hoping you find someone soon. I'm looking forward to testing.

Ren

#33 Postby Ren » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Out of curiosity: would the testable alpha be open to the public, provided we preorder, or would it be tested internally only?

Also, as weird a question as it may be: do all the characters wear something similar to Mallory (the only one I've seen in a half-body sprite) or are they all different?

hanako
Site Admin

#34 Postby hanako » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Every student wears white, but it's a dress code, not a uniform, so the outfits vary a bit. 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' was the vague style reference.

Ren

#35 Postby Ren » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Am I right in thinking that after Science Girls has gone through a thorough last testing and it gets out on Steam and after you rested a bit, more work is going to be done on Black Closet? :3

Sorry, I'm being a typical slave-driver gamer, but I'm really waiting for this...

hanako
Site Admin

#36 Postby hanako » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm going to feel terrible if you hate it when it's finally available. :)

And yes. It's the only other real project we have in production. (Being me I have notes and sketches on a thousand other ideas and a couple of silly prototypes but they don't count.) It's just that Black Closet is so technically complicated that it needs Spiky to be able to dedicate a lot of energy and focus to it when adding things, so it doesn't work well in small doses while getting other things done. We did progress a little bit in Dec/Jan while I was waiting on the Science Girls pixel art, and I've been working on relationship scenes, so it hasn't been completely immobile, but we knew we didn't have time to take it to alpha then.

hanako
Site Admin

#37 Postby hanako » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Some chibis I had made of the girls to keep enthusiasm up!

http://whineaboutgames.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... s-art.html

Ren

#38 Postby Ren » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Cute. :)

Oh, Elsa now has longish straight hair? I was kind of fond of the previous very pragmatic cut (though it was really hard to paint for me...)

hanako
Site Admin

#39 Postby hanako » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:51 pm

No, I haven't changed her hair, but the artist said she didn't know how to draw that in chibi style and since these aren't ingame it didn't really matter.

Oki

#40 Postby Oki » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey no worries fantasyfan I've been offering to draw Hanako art at a discount for years and she hates my style too much to accept lol! She's a ninja with artists.

hnnngngngh I'm in such withdrawal I am going to buy this. Cause I can't NOT buy one of your games

marunero

#41 Postby marunero » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Hanako, do you ever hire the same artist after a game? I would really like to see either the LLTQ or the Royal Trap's art style again. Although that really doesn't fit the image of this game. I also really liked the art from Bionic Heart 2...

hanako
Site Admin

#42 Postby hanako » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm lucky if I can keep the same artist through one game. In fact, to date, I don't think I ever have! Even LLTQ I had to hire a second artist to do the stained glass windows for the update release because the character artist did not have time for the schedule I needed.

Quite often I work with people who are young and haven't yet found fulltime employment, and when they do, their availability is drastically changed. Even adults may change careers. I know at least one of my former artists decided to devote himself fulltime to science and not do art anymore.

And then there's the times when people just decide to stop answering my emails for no reason, and I have to quietly rant about it. :)

The artist who stepped in to complete the CGs for TRT after the first artist vanished is the same who did the CGs for Date Warp, so it's not like I never work with the same people, it just often isn't possible. Especially since I don't make new games very often, so there's a long, long stretch of time in between me wanting projects in which any freelance artist would have to go off and find other gigs. I've actually had artists write me wanting to offer work and I've had to explain that I didn't have anything for them to do at that particular point in time because no project was at the right stage to take on a new artist.

(Bionic Heart is not my game, so I don't actually know who the artist is.)

hanako
Site Admin

#43 Postby hanako » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Some news on status -

Althea and Thais's "path" scenes have been written and implemented, at least the first take of them.

A rough take on the Climactic Boss Battle has been written. It's still buggy and being polished, but it is playable (and beatable) which means it is now technically possible to play through the game and get to the ending.

Epilogues not done yet, other girls paths not done yet, lots of art not done yet, still a good ways to go, but it's been a week of feeling like things are finally moving.

Date Warp was greenlit but hasn't been touched yet because we wanted to get this past another milestone first before looking at it (and the artist isn't available until next month - I want at least one new CG for the new version and I'm trying to get it from the original person). I have a couple of people working on new art for the trading cards, which will also be packed into the base game as unlockable art so that people who aren't on Steam can see it. I am hoping to get some of Date Warp's GUI redone as well but I can't start that until Spiky has had time to do a code check.

I am also working on an updated release of The Royal Trap. That's not something that will slow anything else down, it's pretty much just slotting in some art, once the art is done, and fixing one or two bugs. I'll show some screenshots of that later when it's further along.

Ren

#44 Postby Ren » Fri May 02, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm crying tears of joy.

And when it's done, it's time for smutty tasteful teaparty fanart.

chudah

#45 Postby chudah » Fri May 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Have you considered putting TRT on Steam? With how many visual novels have been getting Greenlit these days, I think it might have a decent shot. Plus, I would love to play the game again with achievements and cards.

Return to “Black Closet”