Black Closet - in development

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
DarthSnuggles

#16 Post by DarthSnuggles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Oh, this looks amazing! Looks like another one to add to my queue of "Games to Throw Money At!"

I personally am really excited to see how this one actually plays, because while I prefer to have the potential for romance in a game, what's most important are interesting characters, interesting plot, and fun game mechanics, in roughly that order. I'm really psyched to about Hanako games because they generally don't conform to the standard visual novel format of "read a whooooole lot, get to make a couple of choices here and there." Playing a Hanako game feels like actually, you know, playing a game. And it goes without saying that the characters and storylines in all of the games out so far are excellent.

Also, I'm a huge sucker for games set in a school, because I was home-schooled during my teenage years. I will DEFINITELY be buying this whenever it's available. :)

marunero

Yay!

#17 Post by marunero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm so excited about the next game! The characters' sprites need some work though, so maybe this will be a longer wait... On the other hand, I really liked the sprite for Thais; she looks so BA. I just hope this game won't be as difficult of a game as Long Live the Queen. (>o<)

hanako
Site Admin

#18 Post by hanako » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Because I am silly and like to overcomplicate things, we're also working on a second game mode where you can create your own minions. That mode will not have the romance options, but will have some random interpersonal dynamics instead. So if that works out, you can import all your friends and watch them bicker with each other while you order them around.

(Avoiding the romance is not the primary reason for making this mode, it's mostly to avoid the main plot so that you can just play random mysteries if you like.)

Gabihime

#19 Post by Gabihime » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:18 pm

hanako wrote:Because I am silly and like to overcomplicate things, we're also working on a second game mode where you can create your own minions.
Sounds like I finally have my chance to play the Famous Five. I'm totally just going to name two of the girls Julian and Dick (and another one 'Timmy the Dog').

You have made all my dreams come true.

hanako
Site Admin

#20 Post by hanako » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Still plugging away - development of the storyline version is just about to hit a pretty key point after which everything changes, which of course means plenty more work to come. :)

http://www.indiedb.com/games/black-clos ... se-logfile - developing the look of the "log" where you can check back over your performance and clues for a case so far.

hanako
Site Admin

#21 Post by hanako » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 am

FantasyFan

#22 Post by FantasyFan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Awesome!

Wakuseino

#23 Post by Wakuseino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 am

Yes, my plan is already coming together... I am looking forward to this game more and more.

hanako
Site Admin

#24 Post by hanako » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:50 am

biscuit

#25 Post by biscuit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Are these files meant more as teasers, or will these be in-game files that will be updated as we go along? Or, like LLTQ, would it be expected/encouraged for players to keep their own notes to understand who's doing what and why?

hanako
Site Admin

#26 Post by hanako » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 pm

At the moment those are teasers that don't appear in the game at all, just posted as a quick introduction to the cast.

Individual mystery cases have their own logging features (the case logfile I posted earlier) that you can refer back to for helpful notes of who's done what in the problem you're investigating.

Certain details about your minions and their performance are also automatically logged: http://www.indiedb.com/games/black-clos ... he-weekend - From that picture you can tell that, say, Mallory is almost certainly not a traitor, because her performance is great. But the others? It's more complicated... and you'll probably want to keep some notes of your own about your suspicions.

hanako
Site Admin

Re: Black Closet

#27 Post by hanako » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Added profiles for the other two important characters:

the Student Council's Faculty Advisor

and the Student Council President herself

Ren

#28 Post by Ren » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 pm

How old is Elsa supposed to be? She looks a bit older compared to the other characters, which could be partly because of the bright red lipstick and the weird shadow that goes in a diagonal line from her nose to the point where her neck line meets the jaw on the right. The shading on her temples, forehead and eyebrow bones is also a bit angular, which might contribute to the impression of her actually being in her late twenties at least. Also, the pen and pencil in particular look very big compared to the folder.

I'm quite impatient for this game, to be honest. I know you're busy with stuff going on Steam and the like but, so far, it looks like it's going to have a very interesting setting. I'm wondering about the way the story itself will proceed, though - if it's all procedural, does it mean that I just play the cases and see the culprit being a different one each time, or is there an overarching story that I can discover and stays more or less the same? I apologise if you've explained this elsewhere, I'm following possible developments for this here and there, in the hope to see updates. :)

hanako
Site Admin

#29 Post by hanako » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm having my standard luck with artists - the person who did the sprites stopped answering emails after that, so once again I'll have to get someone totally different for CGs. The backup artist, of course, pulled out after only a single sprite. Sigh. :)

Elsa's 18, but she's a serious sort - and her sprite never actually appears in-game, her image is only a reference.

There are a few elements to the story that stay the same on multiple playthroughs... a general framing structure, so to speak. However, which elements those are won't be entirely clear until afterwards. Some big events always happen but resolve differently from game to game. I can't really explain more without spoilers.

I haven't touched the code for this since the greenlight madness, though. Sometime next week we'll be taking stock on where this is and how to get it into alpha condition (Testable alpha, lacking the romances, isn't THAT far out of reach last I checked, but we need to go over it.)

Ren

#30 Post by Ren » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Sorry to hear that. :/ Well, regardless, I have quite some expectations on this game regardless of what happens with the art. :D It might be because lately I got into bordgames a bit and it kind of looks like it could be a digitised boardgame in some ways... and I'm imagining all sorts of mad conspiracies and backstabbing going on between the girls. But that's because I read too much stuff from Ryoko Ikeda.