Black Closet - in development

Solve mysteries by ordering your Student Council minions into investigations. A schoolgirl noir RPG-style adventure!
hanako
Site Admin

Black Closet - in development

#1 Post by hanako » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm

9 AM Monday morning. A report lands on your desk: Jeanette's monogrammed silver locket has gone missing. The last time she definitely remembers having it, she was walking in the Field with her friend Susan. Shifty hallmate Ashley had also been admiring the locket recently.

Do you:
Drag Ashley in for interrogation?
Comb the Field for clues?
Try to stimulate Jeanette's memory?
Put Susan under surveillance?

Find the locket quickly, and everyone will applaud your leadership. Be too heavy-handed in your approach, and public opinion will turn against you. Let a thief slip through your fingers to strike again, and the whole school's reputation will suffer.

This is no ordinary high school! Here the daughters of the rich and famous are polished and prepared for their futures on the world stage. Reputation is everything, and the competition is cutthroat... sometimes literally.

---

I've been working on this for a while but haven't said too much about it because I don't have the right art for actual meaningful screenshots at this stage. But this is the Secrets section, so... Basically, this is a mystery-solving game where you are the Student Council President and you assign your minions to try and solve all of the various cases that get thrown your way, while balancing the Council's "karma" (how much people like you - this goes down when you're caught being overly rough with suspects) and the school's reputation (goes down when you fail to solve cases before a scandal can happen).

But, of course, that itself would be too simple. There's more to the story... which you'll find out later.

(link to low-quality VERY VERY IN PROGRESS image, obviously not final graphics!)
Last edited by hanako on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFan

#2 Post by FantasyFan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Oooh, mystery solving AND girl/girl romance? Me interested!

Blue Rose

#3 Post by Blue Rose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:10 am

You'll have my money.

Rinvee

#4 Post by Rinvee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Oooh, I'm definitely buying that!

kyoli

#5 Post by kyoli » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:23 pm

I always like having a male romance option, but I enjoy seeing the stories that go with the females. And I am super psyched about the idea of working to solve mysteries! So even is there is no male romance I am still looking forward to this and can't wait! (I swear I may as well just throw all my money at you)

witchboy

#6 Post by witchboy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Wow that does sound interesting.
I prefer a male love intrest (and male x male even better x infinity) but I'm still on board for this - all your games are great, so I auto buy nearly everything you put out anyways.

Gabihime

#7 Post by Gabihime » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:14 am

Hurrah, finally it's time for Student Council Columbo-chan!

I live for girl detectives, as if that wasn't apparent.

biscuit

#8 Post by biscuit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 am

The set-up vaguely reminds me of Dangerous Highschool Girls. O_O

(Not that that's a bad thing, but it gave me a blast of nostalgia)

I'm normally not a big mystery fan, but I've liked your other games, so I'll definitely be trying out the demo when it comes out.

Benazir

#9 Post by Benazir » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm usually not interested in GxG romances. Though ... I really liked Colette in 'The Royal Trap' (probably because she didn't stick into me ... with her lesbian kisses).

hanako
Site Admin

#10 Post by hanako » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Some further information and slightly improved screenshots can be seen at:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/black-closet

Gabihime

#11 Post by Gabihime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm

I really love the style, and think it seems awesomely cute.

I collect vintage boarding school books, so I have no doubts at all that I am going to love this game.

perch

#12 Post by perch » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:12 am

Oh that looks fun. I like the idea of having so many things randomized, it makes jumping into a new game exciting and fresh while also giving a sense of caution and careful deliberation about the actions taken in a current game.

It does remind me a bit of Dangerous School Girls (I think the overall design esthetic and portraits) and that's not a bad thing as I loved that games look and game play to pieces.

hanako
Site Admin

#13 Post by hanako » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:53 am

I'm hoping it won't feel too much like that game once people can see it in motion - nothing against DHSGiT, I just don't want the games to get confused or people to mistake this for a sequel for that.

Though the author of that is one of the few indies I've met in person and I don't think he'd mind that much :)

perch

#14 Post by perch » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Ultimately beyond a familiar feeling UI they're different games. DHSGiT was set in the 1920s (including slang and portraits) and duplicated a straight board game whereas this one is set in ? but the characters are written differently and while the pictures look 'ye olde timey' they're not the same.

Looking at the pictures my gut comparisons were:

Picture portraits in frames that look like cards (first picture)
Portraits have pips on them for stats so my brain connected to playing cards
Girls look set in an older time so combined with other two points (though not when I just look at them on their own)

Looking at it again with the dice, folders and case files it's not the same thing, but yeah, I think my brain just did some quick association. If I had to say anything from the screenshots Black Closet reminds me of one of those specialty card games that are a little bit Clue and then expand on it with extra rules and card types mixed in.

Which sounds fun as hell.

FantasyFan

#15 Post by FantasyFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I totally LOVE what I read in the article (and the game's title). Can't wait!