Double Date / 2 = ??? - Late entry for the Fatal Hearts Con.

Come here to share fanfiction and fanart!
Little_witch

Double Date / 2 = ??? - Late entry for the Fatal Hearts Con.

#1 Post by Little_witch » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi all,
The warning first:
Beeing a german student this is the first text I've ever witten in English (not counting those wacky school essays) and since I had no one willing to beta-, gamma- or even delta-read it, you have to expect a lot of errors and strange formulations.

I played (and highly enjoyed!) the demo yesterday and tried to avoid possible spoilers, so there is a high risk of out-of-characterness.

But... well... I hope you like it.

Best wishes,
Julia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Beware the danger of gratefulness,' Christina mused as she shifted on her rather ncomfortable chair. And god - who wouldn't be grateful when a mysteriously vanished childhood friend suddenly reappeared like nothing did happen? Okay, the circumstances could have been better. There could have been an explanation, just for example. But the
gratefulness outweighed, including the fact, that her little act of housebreaking in Lucy's realms had stayed unnoticed. Being relived to see her save, sound and unsuspecting made it impossible to decline, when she urged her to double date those two jerks they met in the mall.

Well, at first it was a double date and, for that matter, a quite bearable one. Lucy knew how to entertain guys and Christina's role in that play war narrowed down to smiling and nodding on a regular base. But than came the moment of truth. "Well", said Lucy, as she stood up and earned a alarmed look from her childhood friend, "I think, it's time to go...", Christina felt herself relaxing, "Randy." Her eyes shock wide opened, the staggered girl couldn't do anything but watching the blond guy also raising.

Completely coughed off guard, Christina stuttered: "But... I... erm...", pleading her friend wordlessly not to leave her alone with the unknown red haired boy. In vain. Ignoring the obvious desperation Lucy smiled cheerfully at her. "I hope you two don't mind, since you get along so well..."
'So well?' She didn't even remember his name!
"Have fun. See ya tomorrow!"

Then she waved, paid and left, turning the easy double date to an awkward datish thing. Averting any kind of eye contact Christina started to concentrate on her ice cream. She should leave, too. This was a farce and she didn't want to stay. But on the other hand that was her chance to learn something about the party she had missed and figure out the reason of Lucy's more than strange behavior.

"Erm...", she began slowly, enjoying the sight of the creamy vanilla goodness in front of her, "how was the party... uh... whatwasyournameagain?"

"Tim", he said and she could sense a sarcastic grin, "and it was a blast. Everyone was there - oh, except of you."

Now Christina looked up, slightly frowning. She didn't have to make an excuse that she didn't join a party of some strangers who chatted her up at the mall, did she?
Silence rose as she stared at him. To be honest she had to admit, that he... well, he had something. Sure, he wasn't the mysterious dark type and he didn't have... eyes like blue glowing ice that burned her from within and froze her at the same time... 'But', she continued in her thoughts, repressing the sudden longing she felt, 'he is kinda cute. And there is something witty or smart about him. Doubtless a guy that gets you into trouble... but it could probably be worth it.' Although he seemed a bit tired and worn out at the moment. Stirring in his second cup of coffee he looked like someone who didn't have slept too well at the last time... or too often.

"So", he broke the silence again, "do you generally avoid parties... or just the really great ones?"

"Neither", Christina gave back without thinking, "only those, where girls get killed at."

Terrified of her own words she bit on her lower lip. That wasn't intended to be spoken aloud. But at the same time she watched her opponent closely, searching for revealing signs. His mimic - till now it had been kind of mocking - darkened. For the first time of her short common history he looked really serious. But there was something else. Anger? Grief? ... Guilt? She couldn't say.

"Amber", she heard his now a little husky sounding voice.
"Huh?"
"Her name", was the brusque reply, "I guess, you didn't know it... or her. Her name was amber and she was one of the nicest girls... ever. Perhaps a little too much of a do-gooder but always fun to be around. She wanted to become a veterinarian, helped hedgehogs over the winter and stuff like that. She smelled a bit of cats, but... dunno in a good way. And she had the most lovely voice, I think, she sang in a choir..."

It was now Christina who felt really guilty. She had no idea that Tim and the vict... Amber were so close, and it was really rude of her, to...
"That's why you shouldn't miss parties, you know", he suddenly interrupted her inner self-reproach talk.
"Sorry?", she asked confused. 'Wow, really smooth, Christina.'
"To seize the day as long as you can" - Was that a thread? - "To get to know people. We have met just a view hours ago, but I can tell you, that you have to get out of your little Lucy-and-I-nutshell. Believe me, your gleeful friend already did. Open up, have fun, make some new friends.."

"... go on a date?", the pretty girl suggested.
He stopped and for a few seconds they looked at each other. A boy and a girl sitting together in an ice cream parlor. She couldn't help but smile. It was a small, bashful smile, but it felt honest. His lips mirrored it.

"Something like that", he agreed and emptied his cup.

"We'll see", she mused quietly and wrapped a strand of hair around her forefinger, "Perhaps... one day."
"Call me when your ready", the teasing grin returned.

"If the line isn't too busy...", she replayed playfully and stood up. Although he didn't seem as shallow as he seemed on their first meeting, she was more than unsure if he would be the type of guy she would ask to go on a 'normal' date. There was still a strange, uneasy feeling about him, even if it had become weaker. As he wasn't complete true with her, hiding something she couldn't grasp.

'But he still is really cute', she thought smirking when she was on her way home.

phoenixgirl

#2 Post by phoenixgirl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:10 am

Ooohh this is a good entry. Now this is a more normal date. Mine was just way too out there. lol

Good luck. :)
Please help and support me here.

Little_witch

#3 Post by Little_witch » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:11 am

Thank you! :D Guess I'll need it...
Nearly half of it was written by dict.cc ("Now what was the translation of 'erträglich' again? And what about 'Trauer'? Sadness... no... have to look it up').

I wanted to read your fiction too, but stopped after the words 'Lucy' and 'secret', when my possible spoiler alarm bell started ringing. But it's only a pleasure deferred! :wink:

phoenixgirl

#4 Post by phoenixgirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:44 am

Yup, I understand. I did change some things around which were different from the game. :wink:

You did a good job with the translation and I can help with any grammar if you continue writing future stories. :)
Please help and support me here.

Diz

#5 Post by Diz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:04 am

Nice story, little_witch! :) And, hehe, ChristinaxTim...actually, I think they look best together out of all the possibilities. XD

Anyhoo, the story reads well. I had no difficulty following, if that helps.

Well, good luck! :)

Little_witch

#6 Post by Little_witch » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks again.*smiles brightly*

@phoenixgirl: that's very nice! If I ever dare to write an English fanfic again, I will get back to it.

@Diz: Yeah. After the demo, my impression of Randy was 'the well built but not too bright guy'. Poor guy.^^'

Ah, I forgot:
Happy Independence Day! (today, they open the new American embassy in Berlin)

Diz

#7 Post by Diz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, built--very true. I didn't really think about his intelligence, though. I just thought he was really quiet and an introvert. XD He only said like 3 words! XD Buff is nice but your right about personality.

In terms of looks matching to Christina's I think Tim beats them all.
Looks overall: Jeremy! But he looks much older than Christina to me.
Personality: So far, from the demo, it's either Tim or Jeremy. XD
The other ones, I know nothing about. :P

Little_witch

#8 Post by Little_witch » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Did I miss some scene with Jeremy in the demo? I just bumped into him... Compared to the beardy dream stranger the difference of age can't probably be too significant. :wink: But sunglasses in closed buildings don't do it for me - unless his eyes are glowing red or something like that, than it's tolerable.8)

But I'm afraid I'm getting old. For me, the most attractive video game ever character is... Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic.*swoons* Oh, and Auron from Final Fantasy X isn't too bad, either. That says everything.^^'

Diz

#9 Post by Diz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:03 am

:lol: Hahaha. I know who you're taking about in Final Fantasy X. Cute! ^^
Hmm, have you ever heard of Devin Perry (sometimes Pendragon) from Ahriman's Prophecy? He's my favorite <3 <3 <3 lol
I haven't heard of the other game, though. I'll have to check it out sometime. :)
And yep, you can run into jeremy again in the demo if you get through past the maze quest. Running into him was as far as I got with the one hour, though.

Little_witch

#10 Post by Little_witch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 am

I haven't played Ahriman's Prophecy yet, but I think I might soon follow that recommendation. :wink:

Since I've finished Fatal Hearts and seen all endings, I have to admit, that I like your fic even more. The demo (I didn't have the 1 hour trial, but have played the demo that ends after the discovering of the murder) really doesn't Randy justice. He was my favorite choice but Tim and Christina had the cutest picture of all (the one where he has 'caught' her). And having a pet and boyfriend in one... how neat is that?xD

But I wonder, if I was the only one, whose first thought after seeing Lucy's Parents was "Hey, it's Team Rocket!". *falls in embarrassed silence*

Jamanta

#11 Post by Jamanta » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Very good! You're an excellent writter!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."