Concept for a Long Live the Queen Direct Sequel

Come here to share fanfiction and fanart!
D-Bausch

Concept for a Long Live the Queen Direct Sequel

#1 Postby D-Bausch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 am

I had originally sent this over email, but was informed that Ms. Bensley cannot legally take a look at a concept submitted without it being posted publicly with a note stating that it's free for anybody to use, so here we go: This concept is free for anyone to use in their game, so long as you contact me and talk to me about its implementation; please also credit me if you use it.

I've been a huge fan of Long Live the Queen since it came out, and this concept is the product of two years' consideration in how one might create a game following Elodie's life after coronation. The following is copied from my original email to owner@hanakogames.com:

"I have often enjoyed strategy games, but always found them unsatisfying due to their lack of character involvement. It is from that thought, as well as the desire to continue following Elodie’s story beyond coronation, that my concept springs.

The game would follow a weekly format similar to the original; during each week the player would pass down two royal mandates of national focus, similar to the study subjects in the original game, these would shape the economy, culture, and military (or lumen) abilities of Nova over the course of the game.

The second weekly feature would be an issue the country is facing, brought before the queen by an advisor. This might be a judgment of guilt, an item of foreign policy, a diplomatic decision, or any other aspect of running a country. These decisions would replace the weekend locations from the original game, and would play a role in shaping Elodie’s character in addition to the structure of Nova. In between the policy-shaping segments would be portions of visual novel-style narrative, as in the original game.

Replacing the skill table would be a graphical representation of Nova’s economy, scientific capabilities, level of development, population happiness, and other pertinent information; as well as a map of Nova and the surrounding environs, with markers displaying the locations of resources, cities, fortifications, military garrisons, and other landmarks.

In terms of graphical design, the map might be done in the style of European maps during the renaissance, overlaid with stylized markers similar to chess pieces for the military as these would move in accordance with national policy.
Elodie’s own abilities would not be wholly excised from this sequel; her skills would be enhanced by national policy (after all, surely one cannot remain ignorant of the very thing the nation one rules is focusing on.)

The game would include mechanics for war, as there are any number of ways to become embroiled in international conflict. During a war Elodie can decide the movements of the military regiments displayed on the regional map on a weekly basis, as well as make the usual policy decisions and national focus choices; decisions brought by advisors would be war-focused during this time, naturally. Battles are automatically resolved based on number of soldiers and military development quality. Alternatively, if Elodie’s military command and/or lumen skills are high enough, she can march off to command the troops herself. In this case the map would zoom into a more specific tactical view, allowing the player to influence the outcome of the battle in real time (this would ideally maintain the chess-like aesthetic, eliminating the potential need for 3D models etcetera). Elodie can leave the throne and go to command the war at any time during a war (again, conditional on her military/lumen skills) but cannot return until the war has ended. During her absence, national focus remains the same as when she left and royal decisions are made by her regent (perhaps this character’s identity and personality are determined by narrative branches?)

One feature I would hope for is the ability for the game to scan an ending log and adjust the starting scenario and Elodie’s starting personality and stats to fit the ending the player got in Long Live the Queen, thereby creating narrative continuity. My personal attempted path for the game would be to play as a cruel, wrathful, ambitious Lumen queen (following that ending in the first game) attempting to restore the Novan Empire of old. This, however, could be just one of many branching paths for Elodie’s reign to take, in keeping with the quality of the first game."

I've already posted this in the Long Live the Queen forum, but I figured people here might be more interested. In any case, thanks for reading my long, rant-esque idea; I hope you found it interesting. If you have an opinion or any questions, please leave them below.

Pokota

Re: Concept for a Long Live the Queen Direct Sequel

#2 Postby Pokota » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 am

D-Bausch wrote:I had originally sent this over email, but was informed that Ms. Bensley cannot legally take a look at a concept submitted without it being posted publicly with a note stating that it's free for anybody to use
For anyone who is confused, this is typical - creators generally have to avoid fan works not prefaced with a "free to reuse" clause to prevent legal snarls such as being sued for using a fan's idea in the canon without crediting them. It actually happened to at least one writer which is why most have adopted the position.
Earl of Thing. Yep, that's definitely Kevan's title.

D-Bausch

Re: Concept for a Long Live the Queen Direct Sequel

#3 Postby D-Bausch » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:30 am

Based on the response, probably no-one's interested. All the same, I fleshed out the battle mechanics here and figured I'd post them:

Elodie always commands her soldiers in the large-scale map during war. During peacetime recruited soldiers are divided evenly between garrisons spread across Nova. Elodie can manage soldiers in individual regiments comprising 1000 soldiers of a single type or merge them into a larger army. As battles are fought between two armies, it is generally wise to keep soldiers in large, unified forces. From the large-scale map, Elodie can determine where soldiers march and who they engage. Elodie cannot command more than one army at a time. She can switch between armies in-between battles, but there are dangers of an accident on the road.

If Elodie orders soldiers to fight a battle while not commanding, casualties will be determined automatically and the force which is larger, more disciplined, better equipped, and/or more balanced will be the victor.

If Elodie is commanding an army, things become more interesting. Both sides enter combat with the quantities of soldiers they had in the larger map, split into 1000-man regiments of a single type each. These are your units. There are five types of units: cavalry, swordsmen, pikemen, longbowmen, and cannons. Battle is turn-based. Units gain advantages based on discipline, equipment quality, and type-advantages. Type advantage goes thusly: pikemen beat cavalry, swordsmen beat pikemen, and cavalry beat swordsmen. Archers deal equal damage to all other units at range, but cannot retaliate in melee combat. Cannons deal more damage at greater range than archers, but will be destroyed by a single melee assault; they also cannot be moved during combat.
Before battle, Elodie can decide a formation for her units to enter battle in. After that, infantry can move once and attack once per turn (attacking is always the last thing they can do; in addition, even if they do not attack, infantry may only move once). Cavalry can move twice and attack once; they may do this in any order.

Damage is calculated thusly: up to 300 soldiers in a unit may deal damage at once. In evenly matched forces, each attacking soldier will kill one soldier and then die, so that 300 soldiers are lost by each unit. When type advantage is exercised, each attacking soldier may kill two enemies, and only half will die. If a full regiment of cavalry attacks a full regiment of swordsmen, the sword regiment will be left with 400 soldiers while the cavalry regiment will maintain 850. If an attacking regiment would annihilate the defending regiment, one attacking life will be spared for each enemy casualty exceeding the actual number of enemies. If our 850-man cavalry regiment attacked its beleaguered foe a second time, no riders would die as there would be a difference of 200 casualties in the second engagement. There are special rules for archers. Only cavalry deal double damage to archers, but cavalry, swordsmen, and pikemen take no damage when attacking archers. Archers will always deal kill one foe per attacking soldier (up to 300) when attacking at range. An attack by cannon will kill 400 soldiers in a unit of cavalry and 600 archers, swordsmen, or pikemen in an attacked regiment. As mentioned above, cannons will be immediately destroyed when attacked by cavalry, swordsmen, or pikemen.

Elodie is a special unit on the battlefield; if she has weak lumen abilities, she is frail and must be protected by soldiers. If her lumen skills are above 80, however, she is a nigh-invincible mobile cannon, able to contribute massively to the outcome of the battle. Elodie should not be too reckless, however; if she dies the game is over.

Besides type, two other factors influence casualties in an engagement: equipment and discipline. Elodie can, through peacetime legislation, maintain the equipment and discipline levels of her army between one and ten (start value ranges from 2-5 depending on the ending in Long Live the Queen). For each level of equipment difference, the better equipped army will take 1 less casualty per engagement between two soldiers. For each level of discipline difference the more disciplined force will inflict an additional casualty. This means that it is essential for Elodie to maintain similar levels of discipline and equipment quality to her neighbors if she intends to mount any military campaigns, as a deficiency of two or more in either category will spell certain defeat.
When one unit attacks another, after casualties are calculated the engagement is chosen as a victory for one side. If casualties are equal, or if they are higher for the attacker than the defender, the defender is victorious and both units remain in the same place. If the attacker inflicts more casualties than it receives, the defender is forced backward a tile and the attacker takes its place. If the defending unit is entirely eliminated, the attacker is victorious regardless of their own casualties.

The results of battles fought by armies are decided in a similar manner; the side with greater casualties retreats while the victorious side completes its orders prior to engaging in the battle. In addition, either general can call a retreat, at any point during the battle, forfeiting the battle regardless of casualties.

Lastly, Elodie must treat her soldiers with care. Unlike many strategy games, the number of soldiers is relatively constant throughout the game; a tally is kept during peacetime, and it is difficult to increase that figure by more than half without capturing additional territory. Elodie cannot simply draft a new force to replace a defeated one.

Return to “Fan Works”