Back To School - Magical Diary Contest (Discussion)

Come here to share fanfiction and fanart!
hanako
Site Admin

Back To School - Magical Diary Contest (Discussion)

#1 Post by hanako » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:48 am

For many of you August is the last gasp of freedom before returning to your school year - that's certainly how it is for the students in Magical Diary! So to celebrate the season we're running a small contest to win a free copy of the game. If you're too busy saving up for your schoolbooks, this is your chance to play. :)

To enter:

If you've played the demo, you should know that young wildseed students tend to manifest their magic at the age of thirteen, and that being magical can come as a huge surprise.

Write us a story about a character of your own invention, boy or girl, turning thirteen and having something strangely magical happen on eir birthday. It can be something good or bad... maybe you turn your birthday cake into a fountain of chocolate, maybe you turn your dog into a lion, who knows?

Or maybe it isn't something 'you' did at all... Maybe a very strange visitor turns up for your birthday party, that only you can see. Maybe you wake up and find that you're sleeping on the ceiling and you have NO IDEA WHY and you need to get down!

It doesn't need to resemble things that would happen in the game. Just tell us an amusing story of a magical thirteenth birthday.

Write your story, then post it or a link to it in the contest topic.
Not this topic, as this topic is now for discussion so we can keep that separate from the actual stories.

One entry per person.
Choose your best story and go with that.

Bonus Points Available!! While you can only enter once, you can make that one entry count extra by doing the following:
  • Posting the story somewhere outside of this forum that people will see, like on your own blog or a fanfiction site. To get this bonus point, make sure we can see where you've shared the story!

Including a reference picture for your character - this includes having a yearbook page from the demo. Or you can LINK to pictures that you find anywhere on the internet that you think match your character.

Even more bonus points if you draw a picture of your character yourself.
This contest will run until August 30th.
Last edited by hanako on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Foreversh

#2 Post by Foreversh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm

By copy of a game, do you mean a physical copy, or just a download copy?

hanako
Site Admin

#3 Post by hanako » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Just a download, unless there's a huge outpouring of entries. How much I give away tends to depend on how many people enter. If HUGE numbers of people entered I'd happily give away a CD or two :) But mostly this is for some kids who can't buy things online but really want to play the game, so that they have a chance.

ElCantardelaLunaOscura

Doubts..

#4 Post by ElCantardelaLunaOscura » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Do you want us to post it here? Send it to some E-mail adress? I'm new at this.

hanako
Site Admin

#5 Post by hanako » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm

yeah, sorry, I'm sick at the moment which is making it hard for me to post clear instructions. :)

when i can think straight enough to lay out the rules in good clear terms it'll probably go something like:

post your story somewhere, possibly in this forum, possibly elsewhere. bonus points if you post it on your blog or a fanfiction site.
bonus points if you include a picture of your character (including using the demo yearbook pictures)
even more bonus points if you draw said pictures yourself

then post in this topic to link to your story

but I haven't quite got all the rules ironed out because i'm not feeling well, I just wanted to give people time to start working on it. Willrun until at least aug 20, possibly the end of august, so you have time.

ElCantardelaLunaOscura

#6 Post by ElCantardelaLunaOscura » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for your answer. I hope you get better. I can write it in english or Spanish.

unforgetableme

#7 Post by unforgetableme » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:18 am

Cool! I can't wait!
~UnFoGeTaBlEmE~

hopeandhaley

Questions

#8 Post by hopeandhaley » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 am

We have a couple of weird questions about the contest.

We're twin sisters that, up to this point, have been playing the free demo of Magical Diary. We always play the game at the same time and decide which choices to pick together.

So, would it be okay if we did a collaboration to enter the contest? (That is, both of us work on one story and submit it together as one entry representing us both.) Or would that be "unfair" to others, so no? o_0;;

[The reason is, is that we had the same character and it would be "weird" if both of us were competing for a prize we'd share anyways, no matter which one of us (theoretically) won it?]

Second question: You said people can draw their character, so would it be okay to draw a short comic instead of just writing a story?
We're twins that share an account.

hanako
Site Admin

#9 Post by hanako » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 am

That sounds fine to me :)

hopeandhaley

Question reply

#10 Post by hopeandhaley » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:53 am

Okay, thanks! ^-^

Oh, one last question. Does the accidental magic the character creates in the story *have* to be:
1. Closely related to the ones in the game (as in an actual/real spell used in the game)? [Example: Spirit Sight]

2. Or a made-up accidental spell that's related to one of the types of magic (green, red, white, etc.)? [Example: They used "blue magic" to transform their mom's head to be a lizard's.]

3. Or can it be something completely made up and probably not related to the game at all? [Example: The character made cats rain down from the sky or grew flaming seagull wings.]
We're twins that share an account.

hanako
Site Admin

#11 Post by hanako » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:55 am

Can be totally made up. You can try to make it sound like something that might happen in-game if you want to, but it doesn't matter if it completely doesn't fit into the world. Being entertaining is more important.

I should rephrase the first post so it doesn't sound so picky. :)

Jinroh

#12 Post by Jinroh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Sounds like a fun contest. I'll have to take some time and write up an entry. ^^

You're so generous, hope you feel better. ^^
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.

MusicDreams

#13 Post by MusicDreams » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:07 am

Am so joining!

MusicDreams

#14 Post by MusicDreams » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:51 am

can the fanfiction start a week before the birthday? I mean just small magic, nothing major

redpanda

#15 Post by redpanda » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm

This sounds fun! I'd love to write something if I find some time.

Is there a word count limit? I'm sorry if that seems like a silly question o.o
I'm just too used to my teachers giving me limits XD