A little confused (Minor spoilers?)

Swords, pistols, and palace intrigue - will you fight to save your prince?
TalesofBiro

A little confused (Minor spoilers?)

#1 Postby TalesofBiro » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 am

I don't know if this is addressed in the game and I don't remember it or what. But Maddie's job as a valette is to prep Oscar to be a king and for him to get married to a Wisdom. So once he does marry she's out of a job and is rightfully worried about it.

I get this. But what confuses me is that she never addresses how Oscar will react to her jobless situation.

Throughout the game Oscar seems pretty oblivious to the fact that Maddie will lose her position once he marries. But I find it hard to believe that when it dawns on him what his marriage will mean for Maddie that he wouldn't do anything for her. Maddie can't continue being his valette but as king can't he grant her another position? Like master servant or something. And once Oscar and his Wisdom have children can't Maddie be the nanny/valette for Oscar's children? At the very least, as king, can't Oscar grant her a title and/or money enough to live on her own?

Did I miss the dialogue where Maddie said that all the above wasn't an option? Does it have something to do with this world's customs or something?

hanako
Site Admin

#2 Postby hanako » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

IIRC there is a dialog branch somewhere where he points out that she's being a bit silly and of course he wouldn't just abandon her to the mercy of the fates.

Mostly, she's panicking and not willing to talk to him about it (especially while he's got these crazy notions of romance, which he clearly hasn't planned ahead for.) She's somewhat unused to treating him as capable of doing anything useful on his own...

Return to “The Confines of the Crown”